Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1059 1060 [1061] 1062 1063 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1124492 times)

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #15900 on: November 01, 2011, 12:14:41 pm »

Is small animal desication required in order to milk?  Milk is subcompartmentalized as an extract.  My dwarfs never automatically milk or shear, even tho I have autofarm on in the orders.  Thanks, Knutor
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #15901 on: November 01, 2011, 12:15:39 pm »

Milking is required to milk animals.  Small Animal Dissection is for extracting non-milk extracts such as mog juice or liquid fire.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

geoduck

• Bay Watcher
  • mollusk
    • View Profile
    • Geoduck's Page
« Reply #15902 on: November 01, 2011, 12:20:15 pm »

Does vermin eat stockpiled bones, despite there being nothing in the raws that would indicate so, or am I missing something here? Because I can almost swear my bone stockpile isn't as full as it should be.

According to the wiki at least, yes, if you have a lot of vermin, your stockpiled bones will start to disappear. Bringing along a male cat when you embark will deal with most of the problem.
Geoduck's graphic set: simple and compact!

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #15903 on: November 01, 2011, 12:22:50 pm »

I've noticed that body parts in refuse stockpiles seem to rot slowly. I had a bunch of flame body parts and flame corpses, and the ones that went on the refuse stockpile vanished. The ones that were put in a refuse stockpile, forbidden, and then had the stockpile removed from under them are still there.

I think bones vanish as well, but they're harder to track. I've forbidden a large pile of bones and removed half the stockpile, so if I come back in a game year or two and there are any unforbidden replacements or gaps in there then they did vanish.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15904 on: November 01, 2011, 03:32:35 pm »

When making a cistern for desalinating ocean water, do I have to make sure that the floor the pumps are on are constructed, and does the ceiling of the aqueduct AND cistern need to be constructed as well?
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #15905 on: November 01, 2011, 03:34:49 pm »

When making a cistern for desalinating ocean water, do I have to make sure that the floor the pumps are on are constructed, and does the ceiling of the aqueduct AND cistern need to be constructed as well?

Good question.  Results seem to vary.  The only way I have managed to reliably build a water desalination system is by building the pumps and cistern completely above-ground, but some people claim to have managed to build them in-ground.  I don't think the pumps need to be built on constructed floors, but I would recommend doing so anyway just to be sure.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

andreus015

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15906 on: November 01, 2011, 03:43:17 pm »

does the current version have vampire'?

Is it possible to flood you're entrance to drown thief's?

l

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #15907 on: November 01, 2011, 03:45:01 pm »

Next (hopefully soon) release will have the vampires. Also, yes, assuming that your thieves breathe then you could theoretically drown them.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15908 on: November 01, 2011, 03:55:31 pm »

Good question.  Results seem to vary.  The only way I have managed to reliably build a water desalination system is by building the pumps and cistern completely above-ground, but some people claim to have managed to build them in-ground.  I don't think the pumps need to be built on constructed floors, but I would recommend doing so anyway just to be sure.

K, so if I do it above ground, when I drop the water down a few z levels, the sides of the pipe leading underground have to be constructed, right?
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

GoldenShadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15909 on: November 01, 2011, 05:53:05 pm »

Quickie: What stockpile does Gypsum powder go in?

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15910 on: November 01, 2011, 06:01:12 pm »

Does vermin eat stockpiled bones, despite there being nothing in the raws that would indicate so, or am I missing something here? Because I can almost swear my bone stockpile isn't as full as it should be.

Also last I checked a few versions ago, bones, shell, skulls and remains dissolve eventually(about a year) when left above ground.  A downside of the sun's miasma nullifying properties.  It was the way you were supposed to get rid of refuse in 2D before you hit the chasm.   If they are outside, that could also be the culprit.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

MenacesWithSpikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15911 on: November 01, 2011, 08:56:03 pm »

Noob question:

I'm building a wall around my entire zone.

The aboveground area of this zone contains more than one Z-level (hills, etc).  I want to make at least some of the hillsides go away, so that all of my wall is on the same Z-level.  How do I do this?
Quote from: Loud Whispers
Leave anything to chance, eventually the RNG will roll a 1 and everything will erupt in a fountain of magma and vomit.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15912 on: November 01, 2011, 11:06:25 pm »

You could c(h)anneal them away. Note that if they are on the edges of the map there is nothing that you can do about them however.
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15913 on: November 01, 2011, 11:07:28 pm »

According to the wiki at least, yes, if you have a lot of vermin, your stockpiled bones will start to disappear. Bringing along a male cat when you embark will deal with most of the problem.

Oh, the info is right there. I only glanced at the vermin page, not the bone page, so I didn't notice. And about cats, I know that they help with vermin but I usually don't bother. Losing some food here and there, or even bones, is hardly a problem. Especially since my surplus of the former is formidable and I don't currently produce anything out of the latter.

Also last I checked a few versions ago, bones, shell, skulls and remains dissolve eventually(about a year) when left above ground.  A downside of the sun's miasma nullifying properties.  It was the way you were supposed to get rid of refuse in 2D before you hit the chasm.   If they are outside, that could also be the culprit.

That's hardly news, and I make sure to stockpile bones (as well as everything else) underground. The same isn't true for whole skeletons. Those either don't rot at all or take a very long time to do so.

Another question: did cave adaptation get seriously nerfed or is this me? Back in 40d it only took a couple of years of mostly-underground living to induce vomiting when going outside for wood, but now I'm on year 12 and the most I've seen was a couple of "nauseated by the sun" thoughts. But I'm not sure whether it really is nerfed or if I'm overlooking some less than obvious opportunity for my dwarves to be exposed to light.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15914 on: November 01, 2011, 11:13:01 pm »

Have you channeled out and then roofed over any floors in your fort? That could potentially stop cave adaptation.
Pages: 1 ... 1059 1060 [1061] 1062 1063 ... 1178