Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1058 1059 [1060] 1061 1062 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1124527 times)

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #15885 on: October 31, 2011, 01:01:26 am »

Yes. Items on ramps or down stairs will flash between the item and the ramp or stair below, but stockpiles interfere with the display.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15886 on: October 31, 2011, 01:44:06 am »

I've got a couple of alligators who've been occupying nestboxes for at least half a year now. I've got a male too, so I don't expect the eggs to be unfertilized. Am I missing something here or is their incubation period simply very (unrealistically) long?

Update: after cooking two batches of eggs (ordered cooking of them and the females immediately laid another clutch each which got harvested, so I don't know if the latter were actually good), the third batch now hatched. Incubation period was around one season.

Now I don't know if this is a bug or if they're just supposed to be difficult to breed (I mean, in real life not every egg hatches either, right?).

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15887 on: October 31, 2011, 10:31:36 am »

What values do I need to set for a large map in worldgen to increase the number of evil areas without excessive rejections?
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Grumbledwarfskin

• Bay Watcher
  • stilts don't have skin
    • View Profile
« Reply #15888 on: October 31, 2011, 11:28:21 am »

I've got a couple of alligators who've been occupying nestboxes for at least half a year now. I've got a male too, so I don't expect the eggs to be unfertilized. Am I missing something here or is their incubation period simply very (unrealistically) long?

Update: after cooking two batches of eggs (ordered cooking of them and the females immediately laid another clutch each which got harvested, so I don't know if the latter were actually good), the third batch now hatched. Incubation period was around one season.

Now I don't know if this is a bug or if they're just supposed to be difficult to breed (I mean, in real life not every egg hatches either, right?).

Are you sure the females never left the nest for a moment during the incubation period on the previous run? My understanding is that DF assumes that eggs die if the mother leaves the nest even briefly.

It's a bit absurd with crocodiles, of course: since they aren't warm blooded, the mother sitting on the eggs would have no impact, IRL, crocodiles use rotting vegetation to keep the eggs warm. It's moderately realistic for birds however, and DF only has one kind of logic for egg breeding.

If they didn't or couldn't have left the nest box, then it might be a bug. Or if the crocodiles came back and sat on infertile eggs without moving when they had other places they were allowed to go, that might be a bug.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15889 on: October 31, 2011, 12:00:58 pm »

Are you sure the females never left the nest for a moment during the incubation period on the previous run?

I don't think I moved them, and if I did, would they even return to the nest boxes? Way I remember it, I tamed them while still caged and then pastured them, after which the females made a beeline for the nest boxes.

Regardless, I now know their incubation period (assuming it's the same for other oviparous pets, though I didn't exactly keep track; most of the time I use the eggs anyway) so I should be able to spot problems without losing too much time in the future.

the mother sitting on the eggs would have no impact

That's what I thought, but seeing them sit on the eggs I automatically, and accurately, assumed that in DF even reptiles have to brood.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2011, 12:03:23 pm by assimilateur »

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #15890 on: October 31, 2011, 12:17:08 pm »

I have seen eggs simply fail to hatch even after you do everything right.  I think it happens most often on the second batch of eggs laid.  The first one gets laid, hatches, and then the mother immediately lays a second batch that never hatches.  At least, that's what it seems like from what I've seen.  I haven't done any rigorous experimentation yet.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

geoduck

• Bay Watcher
  • mollusk
    • View Profile
    • Geoduck's Page
« Reply #15891 on: October 31, 2011, 03:04:31 pm »

A question about siege behavior. In my current fort I turned a long dead-end valley into my entranceway; the straight path leads into a trap-lined, um, "longcut", while to get directly into the actual fort you go down the valley and turn left. A siege arrived, with both trolls and goblins. The trolls got there first, and made a beeline straight into the waiting cage traps, while the goblins, when they arrived, turned into the fort. (Where they met my waiting iron and steel-clad troops and got slaughtered.) Was this difference triggered by the trolls being building-destroyers?
Geoduck's graphic set: simple and compact!

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #15892 on: October 31, 2011, 03:11:50 pm »

Probably, the trolls would path to the nearest building they could destroy, leading them to a different potential path then the goblins who would path to the nearest dwarves for them to slaughter.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

CapnUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Sure, it's safe to drink!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15893 on: October 31, 2011, 03:36:18 pm »

Building destroyers target buildings that they can destroy, often to the exclusion of living targets; this behavior can often be abused to lure building destroyers into traps. Other invaders simply take the shortest path to your dwarves they have available. If you want them to take the "longcut", then you'll want to seal off your true entrance with a drawbridge.
"My doctor says I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber [...] and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."

DrKillPatient

• Bay Watcher
  • The yak falls infinitely
    • View Profile
« Reply #15894 on: October 31, 2011, 05:18:55 pm »

Is there any way I can get marksdwarves who are holding another weapon besides their crossbow to attack with it instead of Xbow-bashing? Dagger wielding marksdwarf squads seem like an excellent idea if they're possible.
"Frankly, if you're hanging out with people who tell you to use v.begin() instead of &v[0], you need to rethink your social circle."
    Scott Meyers, Effective STL

I've written bash scripts to make using DF easier under Linux!

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15895 on: October 31, 2011, 07:53:18 pm »

Are totems of any use?  Are they consumable tools to perform burial rituals, or rites of passage?  That was my first impression of them, but I have no fact to base it on.  I've have never seen a dwarf perform anything with a totem.  Have you?  Do they stack like legos, to become totem poles, when your royalty dies?  I bet they have an endgame geopolitical purpose.  Anyone know what it is? 

Thanks, Knutor
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #15896 on: October 31, 2011, 08:07:58 pm »

Are totems of any use?  Are they consumable tools to perform burial rituals, or rites of passage?  That was my first impression of them, but I have no fact to base it on.  I've have never seen a dwarf perform anything with a totem.  Have you?  Do they stack like legos, to become totem poles, when your royalty dies?  I bet they have an endgame geopolitical purpose.  Anyone know what it is? 

Thanks, Knutor

Decoration of rooms and recycling skulls, trade goods work too  :)

geoduck

• Bay Watcher
  • mollusk
    • View Profile
    • Geoduck's Page
« Reply #15897 on: October 31, 2011, 08:10:11 pm »

If you want them to take the "longcut", then you'll want to seal off your true entrance with a drawbridge.

Yeah, I had some floodgates installed I could have closed, but didn't bother; I assume the trolls would have destroyed them..
Geoduck's graphic set: simple and compact!

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #15898 on: October 31, 2011, 08:34:39 pm »

Thanks, Knutor

Totems are trade goods.  You can sell them to caravans.  They're just like any other kind of craft or toy or musical instrument with no actual function at the moment.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15899 on: November 01, 2011, 03:14:16 am »

Does vermin eat stockpiled bones, despite there being nothing in the raws that would indicate so, or am I missing something here? Because I can almost swear my bone stockpile isn't as full as it should be.
Pages: 1 ... 1058 1059 [1060] 1061 1062 ... 1178