Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1055 1056 [1057] 1058 1059 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1124581 times)

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #15840 on: October 28, 2011, 09:47:52 pm »

Because most things such as food can't actually be utilized by a workshop until it reaches the right stockpile.
Food that is just lying on the floor can be used in workshop tasks. It's just that it rarely sits around before being hauled into a stockpile, and it's unavailable for use while being hauled.

It's easy to get confused since, unless I'm missing something here, what he said was accurate for corpses: they won't get recognized as butcherable unless they're in a refuse stockpile.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #15841 on: October 28, 2011, 10:06:40 pm »

FacePalm!

Sorry about that, I've been playing with huge forts where pretty much everything is designated for hauling, it just takes forever for the haulers to get there that my brain completely broke down. (Of course the fact that I posted during the middle of a Electrical Engineering Lecture probably didn't help much either :P)
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15842 on: October 28, 2011, 10:45:05 pm »

It's been pretty long since I stalled a siege, so refresh my memory: how long does it take for them to get bored and leave? I'm talking about sieges without the sieger tag which none of my invaders use.

The following is spoilered due to not being central to the question:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15843 on: October 28, 2011, 11:43:15 pm »

It's easy to get confused since, unless I'm missing something here, what he said was accurate for corpses: they won't get recognized as butcherable unless they're in a refuse stockpile.
Untrue.
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15844 on: October 29, 2011, 12:03:53 am »

Untrue.

None of the war elephants and war rhinos the elves rode on got touched by the butcher. But that changed as soon as I made a refuse stockpile that accepts corpses.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #15845 on: October 29, 2011, 12:20:42 am »

Corpses do seem to be a little messed up as they tend to depend on how the creature was killed almost as much as where it is currently located. Also keep in mind though that the scenario we are talking about here is one in which there is a stockpile that accepts that item, the item is just not currently located in it.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15846 on: October 29, 2011, 12:51:39 am »

Untrue.

None of the war elephants and war rhinos the elves rode on got touched by the butcher. But that changed as soon as I made a refuse stockpile that accepts corpses.
Well, maybe it helps. AFAIK there is bug/poor design that butcher will refuse to use certain corpses - what probably depends on distance.
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

xordae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15847 on: October 29, 2011, 02:48:22 am »

Does nature change if you play over a long period of time? I've got a 40 year fort in a freezing biome where only pines used to grow. Now I see larches coming up everywhere.

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15848 on: October 29, 2011, 02:49:23 am »

Maybe there is difference between worldgen climate and fortress climate?

PainRack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15849 on: October 29, 2011, 04:12:52 am »

Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong with my catapults and ballista?

I have a bridge/tunnel that has engines defending it.

....................b....................  EEE
....................b.................... EEE
....................b....................EEE
.=floor/bridge
b=moat
E= engine

Depending on the site, it may has a wall on the top to cut off access or foritications in front of the engine, also, the bridge/fortification doesn't cover the entire tunnel, just the middle.

So, what am I doing wrong? They simply don't fire.

Orders are set on prepare, and they don't fire.
Set on fire at will, and it doesn't attack gobbos
The direction is set correctly, as during fire at will, the stones/ballista is aimed at the right direction.

So..... what am I doing wrong?

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15850 on: October 29, 2011, 08:11:22 am »

corpses: they won't get recognized as butcherable unless they're in a refuse stockpile.

False.  I never make refuse stockpiles, and my butcher shops do their thing with corpses just fine.  The corpse just has to be sufficiently close to the butcher shop to be recognized.  This can be accomplished either by dumping the corpse (and then claiming it), or by building a temporary butcher shop near the corpse (e.g. if it's a fallen beast corpse that's too heavy to haul around in less than a month).
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15851 on: October 29, 2011, 09:28:46 am »

how easy is it to take down a Green Glass FB with archers? Being a Deadly Dust monster,with no idea of what effect even after watching it take down the Bat Men(killed them too fast), I do NOT want to get within range of it...
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #15852 on: October 29, 2011, 10:04:08 am »

Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong with my catapults and ballista?

Siege engines fire indiscriminately when set to 'fire at will' and don't fire at all when set otherwise.  That's simply how they work.  There's no setting to tell a catapult or ballista to fire when they see a goblin.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15853 on: October 29, 2011, 10:12:44 am »

corpses: they won't get recognized as butcherable unless they're in a refuse stockpile.

False.  I never make refuse stockpiles, and my butcher shops do their thing with corpses just fine.  The corpse just has to be sufficiently close to the butcher shop to be recognized.  This can be accomplished either by dumping the corpse (and then claiming it), or by building a temporary butcher shop near the corpse (e.g. if it's a fallen beast corpse that's too heavy to haul around in less than a month).

It looked like a problem with stockpiles from where I was sitting but I'm going to take your word for it. Either way, I don't expect this "butcher shop has to be close to the corpse" business is WAD.

Speaking of which, either I missed something, or I had trouble spinning wool that was in a refuse pile right next to the farmer's shop. It worked again when I got rid of the stockpile.

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15854 on: October 29, 2011, 02:53:45 pm »

I've set my pop limit to 80, got about 40 more dwarfs coming as migrants and anouther 20 home-bred, giving me the option of becoming the capital. My fortress if presently a Duchy and has been for a year if I'm correct, and all the requirements of becoming a capital are fulfilled. Will my monarch come, even if there is no way a migration wave would come, or I'll have to set a new pop cap while a liason is in my fort and hope for the best?
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."
Pages: 1 ... 1055 1056 [1057] 1058 1059 ... 1178