Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1054 1055 [1056] 1057 1058 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1124634 times)

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #15825 on: October 28, 2011, 12:07:39 pm »

I think they're perfectly capable of walking with no legs and two crutches, as long as their arms are whole.

Maybe dwarves are agile enough to use stilts with just an arm to control them with, and crutch walking is actually a circus skill?

I had to illustrate this.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15826 on: October 28, 2011, 12:49:25 pm »

The damage model is a bit more complex than "red=paralysis." You can view details in the z-health menu; if they didn't actually have their motor nerves severed, then they'll heal up fine. Similarly, you can get nailed in the spine and suffer fractured vertebrae (a red wound) but you won't be paralyzed if none of the nerves were damaged.

Maybe I wasn't clear:
1. I play without nerves (the ones that sever at the drop of a hat, not nervous tissue as part of the spine), but heavy damage to muscles or bones is usually enough to keep you from walking in this game. At least that's the impression I got in adventurer mode.
2. I'm aware that there's red and there's red. But if one of my dwarves has a red hip, two red upper legs, and one red lower leg you expect him to at least need a crutch or two to continue walking. Instead he walks unaided while both of his legs have a good part covered with plaster.

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15827 on: October 28, 2011, 01:00:26 pm »

Is there any way to remove deceased creatures from the units list? My meat industry is cluttering the damn thing.
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #15828 on: October 28, 2011, 01:06:12 pm »

No you can't remove dead creature listings at the moment unfortunately.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15829 on: October 28, 2011, 01:12:17 pm »

So it is possible to set up a stockpile that will only accept fresh, butcherable corpses?
There's no 'butcherable' setting to stockpiles, so you have to set it to accept corpses and then go through the list of creatures and disallow the unbutcherable ones.

And I'll still end up with rotten corpses filling it up if any of my tame critters dies from non-butcher causes. :-P
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

lemmily

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • BatFinchBears
« Reply #15830 on: October 28, 2011, 02:48:54 pm »

siege of giant cave swallow riding goblins.... but they seem to just run away? and not try and attack..... does this mean I can't get any traders until they miraculously all die? (being 20 z levels up and out of reach etc..... -_-;;)
I make furry things - BatFinch Bears

lemmily

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • BatFinchBears
« Reply #15831 on: October 28, 2011, 03:07:40 pm »

I just had an idea about the siege riding giant cave swallows, if I kill the swallows with Runesmith(aka, goblins plummeting to their mushy deaths), will they still leave the 'siege' tag on?
I make furry things - BatFinch Bears

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15832 on: October 28, 2011, 03:14:48 pm »

You can modify your posts instead of double-posting, you know.

As for your question, I don't know how Runesmith works, so I can't really say. Sorry about that!

jeffreyac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15833 on: October 28, 2011, 04:01:39 pm »

Speaking of butchering, I've been trying to figure out the whole soap making thing. I have lye, and buckets, and a soap maker's workshop - but I can't sem to get tallow. I have a hunter/butcher, and a good setup (butcher shop next to kitchen/tanner and refuse store) and I have been able to get tallow before - but I truly don't know how, I've just been lucky enough to get it; I'd like to understand so I can control how soon I produce it and how much a little better.

Take the most recent attempt: I want to make soap, and have the stuff listed above, but need tallow. I order three or four of my spare livestock butchered. Meanwhile, I make sure I've got cooks/butchers/etc ready to go. My butcher goes and gets the critter, whacks him at the butcher's shop right next to the kitchen - I pause the game and look at the kitchen. The kitchen now shows order 'Render fat', and I'm thinking I'm golden. I unpause - next message: "Dwarf McDwarfy cancels render fat: needs unrotten FAT:RENDER_MAT-producing glob". The kitchen cancels the order, and I go back to crying in my soapless fortress.

I still dont understand how to produce tallow, I guess - should not the butchering have produced some renderable fat?

EDIT: maybe I was just impatient in looking - it appears this approach did work well with the third animal, so let me change the question - is the above process how I'm supposed to render fat for soap, or is there an easier way to get soap? (I don't need a bunch - not building  a fortress out of it or anything. Just want to stock my hospital...)

EDIT again: once I've got a little tallow, I run into the (z) stocks, kitchen menu to turn off cooking it (I want soap, not tallow roast!) In that menu, it only lets me turn off tallow types one by one, and then only ones I have. Is there a way to turn off all tallow cooking in advance, to conserve it for soap?
« Last Edit: October 28, 2011, 04:09:27 pm by jeffreyac »

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #15834 on: October 28, 2011, 04:13:42 pm »

There is no way that I know of to disable cooking on all tallow simultaneously. As for the canceling, did you have a food stockpile set to accept it? Because most things such as food can't actually be utilized by a workshop until it reaches the right stockpile. As such any fat that was dropped from the butchering of the creature would need to be hauled to the stockpile before the kitchen could realize that it exists in order to designate it for tallow production.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15835 on: October 28, 2011, 04:20:40 pm »

I bet what happened was that a hauler grabbed the fat to take to a stockpile, so it was unavailable to the cooks trying to render it.

BackgroundGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15836 on: October 28, 2011, 05:01:47 pm »

I just had an idea about the siege riding giant cave swallows, if I kill the swallows with Runesmith(aka, goblins plummeting to their mushy deaths), will they still leave the 'siege' tag on?

If you're going to use Runesmith anyway, don't use the genocide function on the swallows.  Teleport the swallows underground somewhere your dwarves can kill them, and let the goblins fall to their deaths.  Sometimes, if you use the genocide function it won't properly end the siege, but this way should be classified as "legit" by the game, so far as direct cheating goes.

Grumbledwarfskin

• Bay Watcher
  • stilts don't have skin
    • View Profile
« Reply #15837 on: October 28, 2011, 05:15:03 pm »

I think they're perfectly capable of walking with no legs and two crutches, as long as their arms are whole.

Maybe dwarves are agile enough to use stilts with just an arm to control them with, and crutch walking is actually a circus skill?

I had to illustrate this.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Beautiful. It brings tears to my eyes.

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15838 on: October 28, 2011, 07:02:02 pm »

To get tallow for soap, have a food stockpile near your kitchen that does not take the fat category (which includes fat, tallow, wax, and pudge). It should take all the other food you want to go into meals. Basically everything but fat, drinks, seeds, lye, unprepared fish, prepared food, and maybe plants. Then create another stockpile farther away (over by your soapmaker's shop) that takes the fat category. Now when something gets butchered, the fat will get taken to the fat pile, then a cook will bring it back to the kitchen to render to tallow, which gets taken to the fat pile. Now when your cook wants to make a meal, he'll grab whatever is closest, which will not be the tallow if you have anything else that can be cooked.

Optionally, for a bit more efficiency, you can allow just the fat in the kitchen stockpile and just the tallow by the soapmaker's. But that involves going through the fat category in the kitchen stockpile selecting all of the fats and not the tallows. Then do it again by the soapmaker's, selecting all of the tallows. And there are hundreds and hundreds of entries, generally two for each type of animal, and there are a lot of types of animal (how many different types of gibbon does this game really need? it's got at least 5 of them). But you can't really do it with a macro, because a few animals are different. Bees (honey and bumble) have fat, tallow and wax. Fluffy wamblers just have pudge. Mussels and oysters have fat but no tallow. And every forgotten beast in your world is listed, so you'll have pages and pages of:
forgotten beast fat
forgotten beast tallow
forgotten beast fat
forgotten beast tallow
forgotten beast fat
forgotten beast tallow

So basically, it's best to just accept that the fat will have to travel to the soapmaker's and back before becoming tallow.
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #15839 on: October 28, 2011, 09:37:40 pm »

Because most things such as food can't actually be utilized by a workshop until it reaches the right stockpile.
Food that is just lying on the floor can be used in workshop tasks. It's just that it rarely sits around before being hauled into a stockpile, and it's unavailable for use while being hauled.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.
Pages: 1 ... 1054 1055 [1056] 1057 1058 ... 1178