Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1053 1054 [1055] 1056 1057 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1124635 times)

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #15810 on: October 27, 2011, 11:27:57 pm »

I had my weaponsmith make a silver maul (I modded dwarves to be able to smith some extra weapons) for a hammerdwarf in the militia, who is assigned to use silver mauls. He won't pick it up, and the green check doesn't show up near the weapon in the military menu. It's not forbidden. Can dwarves not use home-made (normally) foreign weapons?

EDIT: He'll pick up war hammers...

Have you tried assigning him that specific maul?

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #15811 on: October 27, 2011, 11:38:12 pm »

Just wanted to elaborate now that I've checked the raws. Mauls have a [MINIMUM_SIZE:62500] in the raws, which is larger than the average size of an adult dwarf (60000). As a result only the strongest/fattest of your dwarves will ever be able to wield one. If you really want your dwarves to use them, I suggest you drop that minimum size token down to 60000 on that weapon.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15812 on: October 28, 2011, 01:06:41 am »

Is it possible to create stockpile accepting only rotten/not rotten corpses?
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15813 on: October 28, 2011, 05:38:11 am »

Question: are underground creatures still bugged when you tame them like they were in 40d? As in, do they become feral after a time, or destroy buildings assuming they had that ability? I'm trying to figure out whether to tame the voracious cave crawler I caught or to use it for target practice.

I guess I answered my own question here. I took a chance and tamed it, but that wasn't very effective since one of my guys lost an arm when trying to pasture it.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #15814 on: October 28, 2011, 08:11:11 am »

The bug in 40d where certain cave animals (such as cave crocodiles) would become half-feral after a while and start smashing buildings does not seem to be present in the current version.

However, any creature which has tasted dwarven blood will always be dangerous.  Creatures which arrived as part of a siege will also always be hostile.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15815 on: October 28, 2011, 08:21:00 am »

Creatures which arrived as part of a siege will also always be hostile.

It's just confusing when the game allows you to pretend you're taming them. At least with the elven war giraffes and shit I can't even task the the kennel with taming them.

Martholomule

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs alcohol to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15816 on: October 28, 2011, 08:41:32 am »

any creature which has tasted dwarven blood will always be dangerous.

When I read this before, I thought it was tongue in cheek.  Is this actually true?  Well, you just said it was, so forget that question.  But, when you say "tasted", do you mean "scored a hit" or "scored a kill"?

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #15817 on: October 28, 2011, 08:49:53 am »

When I read this before, I thought it was tongue in cheek.  Is this actually true?  Well, you just said it was, so forget that question.  But, when you say "tasted", do you mean "scored a hit" or "scored a kill"?

It is true, but I'm not sure if it's any creature which has attacked a dwarf, caused injury, or actually killed one of your dwarves.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15818 on: October 28, 2011, 09:38:24 am »

Definitely scored a kill.

You know how animals get names after killing a dorf? Somebody tried to tame one. It was tame to the extent that it couldn't be killed by the dwarven militia, and that nobody ran away from it, but not to the extent that it stopped killing dwarves. And it was an elephant. Much Fun was had.

I think simply scoring a hit wouldn't be a problem, but I'd also have told the dude with the Voracious Cave Crawler he was fine and the VCC wouldn't eat his dwarves.

Nick

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15819 on: October 28, 2011, 09:52:10 am »

Here's the thing: all the mounts I've seen so far were named. And not with a name and surname, as a pet would be, but with a single name, which is usually what a non-sentient animal gets when it has between 1 and 4 frags. Perhaps Toady hijacked this "tasted blood" mechanic in order to make mounts hostile (you may remember how in 40d the horses invaders rode would have a tendency to get spooked, just like feral ones)? I'm speculating since I doubt every giraffe or even horse I've seen with the elves is a "real" historical figure with kills to its name.

Another question: are crutches obsolete or have the mechanics regarding an inability to stand been simplified or something? I ask this because I have a guy with both upper legs in casts who's walking like nothing happened. I also saw one get his lower spine damaged (it's red, which is supposed to be serious, but it hasn't been diagnosed yet) without losing the use of his legs.

Update: the lower spine guy is now sparring like nothing happened, with only some sutures and dressing on his lower back.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2011, 10:16:35 am by assimilateur »

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #15820 on: October 28, 2011, 10:26:59 am »

Yeah in dwarf fortress just because a person has had damage to their spinal column doesn't necessarily render them paralyzed for life like it does in the real world.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Grumbledwarfskin

• Bay Watcher
  • stilts don't have skin
    • View Profile
« Reply #15821 on: October 28, 2011, 11:28:45 am »

Crutches aren't obsolete, they're used by dwarves that have a foot/leg chopped off or who have a severed motor nerve in their leg.

They also only need one crutch, unlike the real world, where you need two crutches for one injured leg, with two injured legs landing you in bed or in a wheelchair.

I think they're perfectly capable of walking with no legs and two crutches, as long as their arms are whole.

Maybe dwarves are agile enough to use stilts with just an arm to control them with, and crutch walking is actually a circus skill?

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15822 on: October 28, 2011, 11:46:10 am »

Crutches aren't obsolete, they're used by dwarves that have a foot/leg chopped off or who have a severed motor nerve in their leg.

I had two dwarves still walking after sustaining injuries that would have grounded my adventurer, so I sort of got the hint that because crutches used to be problematic, they were made useless. Another thing that crossed my mind was that maybe I had fucked something up when I removed nerves from my creatures (all of them). But since I didn't touch spines, and only removed has_nerves so I didn't end up with permanently paralyzed limbs at the drop of a hat, this is unlikely to have been the cause.

As I said, in adventurer mode a red spine reduces you to crawling, as does a red leg, not to mention both of them; that's regardless of any severed nerves. Looks like the damage model in dwarf mode is more forgiving.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #15823 on: October 28, 2011, 11:56:16 am »

The damage model is a bit more complex than "red=paralysis." You can view details in the z-health menu; if they didn't actually have their motor nerves severed, then they'll heal up fine. Similarly, you can get nailed in the spine and suffer fractured vertebrae (a red wound) but you won't be paralyzed if none of the nerves were damaged.

Of course, forces sufficient to take a body part from zero to red are often sufficient to deal that nerve damage as well, but it isn't a sure thing.

Grumbledwarfskin

• Bay Watcher
  • stilts don't have skin
    • View Profile
« Reply #15824 on: October 28, 2011, 12:05:09 pm »

Also, dwarves with serious bone injuries in the legs can't walk in fortress mode, they have to be splinted, then they can walk.

Splinting isn't really available in adventurer mode, as far as I know, so you have to wait for the bones to heal instead of getting up and walking around using your shiny new wooden exoskeleton. This works in dwarf mode as well, but usually you set up a hospital to speed up the process.
Pages: 1 ... 1053 1054 [1055] 1056 1057 ... 1178