Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1052 1053 [1054] 1055 1056 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1124668 times)

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #15795 on: October 27, 2011, 07:22:43 pm »

So it is possible to set up a stockpile that will only accept fresh, butcherable corpses?
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #15796 on: October 27, 2011, 07:46:55 pm »

What is the biggest a room(such as a bedroom defined by a bed) can be? I know there is a point where the expansion markers won't go any further, but what are the exact dimensions?
You get 30 keypresses of expansion, which in a perfectly open space gives you 61x61.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #15797 on: October 27, 2011, 07:47:02 pm »

So it is possible to set up a stockpile that will only accept fresh, butcherable corpses?
There's no 'butcherable' setting to stockpiles, so you have to set it to accept corpses and then go through the list of creatures and disallow the unbutcherable ones.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

DrKillPatient

• Bay Watcher
  • The yak falls infinitely
    • View Profile
« Reply #15798 on: October 27, 2011, 08:47:30 pm »

One of my starting 7 likes platinum and mauls (the one true kind of giant warhammer!). He's a proficient miner and I made him a novice weaponsmith. Will he grab a weaponsmith's shop if he gets a mood, and will he be more likely to make a maul? I can micromanage for the platinum if he doesn't get some immediately, but the weapon itself concerns me.
"Frankly, if you're hanging out with people who tell you to use v.begin() instead of &v[0], you need to rethink your social circle."
    Scott Meyers, Effective STL

I've written bash scripts to make using DF easier under Linux!

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #15799 on: October 27, 2011, 09:04:08 pm »

Dwarves only mood in their highest (moodable) skill, so in his case, it would be mining.

Don't know about preferences, though. I've heard that they're more likely to create preferred items, but I can't say for sure it's not a myth.
Love, scriver~

BackgroundGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15800 on: October 27, 2011, 10:09:21 pm »

Dwarves only mood in their highest (moodable) skill, so in his case, it would be mining.

Don't know about preferences, though. I've heard that they're more likely to create preferred items, but I can't say for sure it's not a myth.

Also, if you save sometime after the dwarf begins their mood, you can savescum what type of artifact you get.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #15801 on: October 27, 2011, 10:17:27 pm »

Note that high mining skill means his mood will be as though it were masonry, though any XP gain from the mood will count towards his mining skill. You're better off giving that rank of weaponsmith to your farmer, since the farming profession is not a moodable. If you feel like gaming the system, have all your farmers/peasants/warriors make crappy copper weapons/armor until they are novice in that skill, to increase the chance of those moods.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15802 on: October 27, 2011, 10:18:36 pm »

quick question; how effective is an artifact silver spear? I want to know if I give it to my captain of the guard, will I see bloody dorf parts everywhere if he decides to use it on my dorfs?
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15803 on: October 27, 2011, 10:23:06 pm »

you can savescum what type of artifact you get.

Except when they like a product that can be made at the workshop they claimed. Then they will, as far as I know, only make that.

quick question; how effective is an artifact silver spear? I want to know if I give it to my captain of the guard, will I see bloody dorf parts everywhere if he decides to use it on my dorfs?

Silver is supposed to be a pretty weak material for edged weapons, but in my experience winning a fight is 95% due to wearing full armor and having the right skills, and 5% due to weapon or armor materials. Thus this would probably be an acceptable weapon even against enemies, and on your own unarmored or even naked dwarves it would be deadly. I advise not even appointing a fortress guard in the first place, or if you must not then give them any weapons.

Question: are underground creatures still bugged when you tame them like they were in 40d? As in, do they become feral after a time, or destroy buildings assuming they had that ability? I'm trying to figure out whether to tame the voracious cave crawler I caught or to use it for target practice.

bloomis

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #15804 on: October 27, 2011, 10:30:14 pm »

I forgot the trick to getting your dwarves to pick up or dump stuff that's outside.  Help!

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #15805 on: October 27, 2011, 10:35:10 pm »

o r o
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

DrKillPatient

• Bay Watcher
  • The yak falls infinitely
    • View Profile
« Reply #15806 on: October 27, 2011, 10:41:38 pm »

I had my weaponsmith make a silver maul (I modded dwarves to be able to smith some extra weapons) for a hammerdwarf in the militia, who is assigned to use silver mauls. He won't pick it up, and the green check doesn't show up near the weapon in the military menu. It's not forbidden. Can dwarves not use home-made (normally) foreign weapons?

EDIT: He'll pick up war hammers...
« Last Edit: October 27, 2011, 10:44:26 pm by DrKillPatient »
"Frankly, if you're hanging out with people who tell you to use v.begin() instead of &v[0], you need to rethink your social circle."
    Scott Meyers, Effective STL

I've written bash scripts to make using DF easier under Linux!

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15807 on: October 27, 2011, 10:56:05 pm »

Weapons supposedly have a size requirement. That's what the raws say, at least, though it's unsure if that even works in fortress mode seeing as how in adventurer or arena you can equip everything.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #15808 on: October 27, 2011, 11:23:45 pm »

Weapon size requirements do apply in fortress mode regardless of how adventure mod functions.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #15809 on: October 27, 2011, 11:24:34 pm »

Yup. Only larger dwarves can use most two-handed weapons.
Love, scriver~
Pages: 1 ... 1052 1053 [1054] 1055 1056 ... 1178