Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1051 1052 [1053] 1054 1055 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1124667 times)

Grumbledwarfskin

• Bay Watcher
  • stilts don't have skin
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #15780 on: October 27, 2011, 09:33:57 am »

Change [FPS=NO] to [FPS=YES] in data/init/init.txt, then restart dwarf fortress, and you'll see the FPS count in the upper left.

If you're running at full speed, you'll have 100 logical FPS (graphical FPS is in parentheses). It'll always say 100 when the game is paused, you'll have to wait a while after unpausing for it to settle down and show the real FPS you're getting.

Embarks with flowing water or magma will slow down your FPS quite a bit, as do large embark areas and deep embarks, with lots of z-levels. Really bad FPS on embark is sometimes an indication that there's something broken about your site or world gen, though it doesn't happen that often.

Dave1004

• Bay Watcher
  • This is getting personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15781 on: October 27, 2011, 10:30:20 am »

Hah, never-mind!
« Last Edit: October 27, 2011, 10:42:40 am by Dave1004 »

Hardcap of 200 MB/24 hours.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #15782 on: October 27, 2011, 11:15:54 am »

If you're running at full speed, you'll have 100 logical FPS (graphical FPS is in parentheses).
Full speed is whatever your computer can handle. 100fps is the set speed for the opening video and the default FPS cap, but the cap can be changed, or removed entirely by setting it to 0.

It's normal for the first year to take longer than others even if the FPS is the same, since you don't have the infrastructure and resources to just go into the job manager and order something done.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Dave1004

• Bay Watcher
  • This is getting personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15783 on: October 27, 2011, 11:53:21 am »

About how long does one game year take in real time for y'all? I have this weird feeling that my games are moving really slowly. About two hours from embark, I haven't yet reached autumn.

I'm on my ninth year in my current fortress, and if I just leave it running (Which I usually do), a year is about 30 minutes. Maybe you need a new computer?

Hardcap of 200 MB/24 hours.

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15784 on: October 27, 2011, 11:55:24 am »

Yeah, the first year can take a while for me in real time, even if I'm getting 100 FPS. I tend to pause and micromanage a lot because I hate to see anyone idling when I've got so few dwarves. Plus, I spend a lot of time looking around and planning.

The second year goes pretty quickly, because things are set up and usually working smoothly, and the FPS is still high. After that, the FPS starts to fall, ambushes start arriving, and I start working on more complex stuff.
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

Frying Doby

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15785 on: October 27, 2011, 03:39:59 pm »

Are Forgotten Beast attacking each other or are they buddybuddy?

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #15786 on: October 27, 2011, 03:42:22 pm »

Forgotten Beasts seem to have no interest in attacking each other.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

lemmily

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • BatFinchBears
« Reply #15787 on: October 27, 2011, 05:10:05 pm »

three questions! (small though)

1. Can I force the elves to war with me? (I attacked one of their trader groups anything else?)

2. What is silver like for leggings?

3. What is lead like for a buckler?

(I know there's someone on the forum with a sig of the metals in order of how good they are, but don't know their name)
I make furry things - BatFinch Bears

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #15788 on: October 27, 2011, 05:16:41 pm »

1. Can I force the elves to war with me? (I attacked one of their trader groups anything else?)

It is very difficult to trigger war with the elves unless you mod their entity file to have a diplomat, and then kill the diplomat.  This requires a world regen, so it can't be done with an already existing fortress.

2. What is silver like for leggings?

Terrible.

3. What is lead like for a buckler?

Material is irrelevant for how well a buckler or shield performs.  It just means the buckler will be very, very heavy.  If the dwarf bashes an enemy with a dwarf, which can happen sometimes, being heavy will be helpful.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15789 on: October 27, 2011, 05:35:05 pm »

It is very difficult to trigger war with the elves unless you mod their entity file to have a diplomat, and then kill the diplomat.  This requires a world regen, so it can't be done with an already existing fortress.

Another thing you can do is mod them to be baby snatchers (like goblins) and/or item thieves (like kobolds). You should also look at their progress triggers for contact in general and sieges. The values for production and trade are tentative, but the ones for population are fairly well defined (2 is 50 dwarves, 3 is 80, etc.; plus the details are on the wiki).

I did this for every entity other than dwarves and I'm getting hostile contact every season. So far my elves have only sent thieves but my giants (as you can fairly easily mod races to form civilizations) sent me a siege around year 5 and would have done so much sooner had I lowered their triggers.

I assume adding tags and especially adding whole entities requires a regen as well, but progress triggers and active seasons can supposedly be applied to a running game.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2011, 05:38:10 pm by assimilateur »

Puresowns

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15790 on: October 27, 2011, 05:48:08 pm »

What is the biggest a room(such as a bedroom defined by a bed) can be? I know there is a point where the expansion markers won't go any further, but what are the exact dimensions?
The history of a good fortress is not written in blood, it's painted on the walls by the hand of a melancholy orphan.

Ploder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15791 on: October 27, 2011, 05:50:13 pm »

I'm starting to get a meat industry up and running and am wondering how to designate a stockpile near the tanner's workshop for the skins of the animals I slaughter. It doesn't seem to show up in any of the stockpile options.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #15792 on: October 27, 2011, 06:16:10 pm »

I'm starting to get a meat industry up and running and am wondering how to designate a stockpile near the tanner's workshop for the skins of the animals I slaughter. It doesn't seem to show up in any of the stockpile options.
Skins is in the Refuse pile - Fresh Raw Hides (or rotten one's if they get too old). Tanned leather is just the leather option, but I assume you didn't mean that.
Love, scriver~

BackgroundGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15793 on: October 27, 2011, 06:16:10 pm »

ALl you have to do is designate a normal refuse pile, and the raw hides will go there.  However, if you haven't made a refuse pile elsewhere, it'll likely be filled with bones and vermin and non-hide stuff.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #15794 on: October 27, 2011, 06:18:14 pm »

We posted at the exact same time, Guy. Scary.
Love, scriver~
Pages: 1 ... 1051 1052 [1053] 1054 1055 ... 1178