Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1050 1051 [1052] 1053 1054 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1124664 times)

kardwill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #15765 on: October 26, 2011, 08:40:17 am »

40d i believe has the economy. i hear everyone goes broke and doesnt get to live anywhere and !!FUN!! occurs because of it xD
Well, poverty will be a problem, but you can limit its effect by ensuring enough work for your dwarves (i.e. creating works simply for employment, and ensuring your legendary doesn't hog all the market), and by having slums (small, non-smoothed, poorly furnished appartments and dormitories) and low quality food (raw plump helmet, uncooked dog meat and muddy water? Yeah!) and consumer goods (those low quality crafts and clothes you created to employ your dabbling crafters) for the haulers.

It's "hard mode, minimanagement DF", really

I'd say use 40d16. Stable, recent, and dwarf therapist worked on this one. Be warned, though, it will be quite different from 31.xx.

eggrock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15766 on: October 26, 2011, 09:32:06 am »

Does a creature's weight affect how far/fast water will push it? How about dust from a cave collapse?

I'm going to try some !!SCIENCE!! on the second question soon--I have a couple of FBs (one with deadly spittle) that I'm going to try to fling into a wall/stun/trap using a controlled cavein.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #15767 on: October 26, 2011, 10:27:58 am »

Ok, I need a little help here. I'm trying to open up a magma pipe into some magma sewers I made. But the technique that used to work for me a few years ago is now getting all my miners killed. I used to do this by carving out an up-ramp next to the magma pipe with it's obsidian wall on one side and a fortification leading into the sewers on the other. In the past, when ordered to crack open the wall, the miners would immediately run up the ramp to the floor above and the magma would flow through the fortification.

But this no longer seems to be working. Is there any way to do this now without spending the next few years pumping it out from the top down?

Try using stairs instead of a ramp. It's possible that due to the way the ramp interacts with the walls around and above it that your dwarves are having to run to the wrong side and are getting barbecued while they attempt to do so. Other then that I don't know why this wouldn't work, since I use almost the same method and it isn't killing anybody for me.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

kardwill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15768 on: October 26, 2011, 10:41:38 am »

Ok, I need a little help here. I'm trying to open up a magma pipe into some magma sewers I made. But the technique that used to work for me a few years ago is now getting all my miners killed. I used to do this by carving out an up-ramp next to the magma pipe with it's obsidian wall on one side and a fortification leading into the sewers on the other. In the past, when ordered to crack open the wall, the miners would immediately run up the ramp to the floor above and the magma would flow through the fortification.

But this no longer seems to be working. Is there any way to do this now without spending the next few years pumping it out from the top down?

Try using stairs instead of a ramp. It's possible that due to the way the ramp interacts with the walls around and above it that your dwarves are having to run to the wrong side and are getting barbecued while they attempt to do so. Other then that I don't know why this wouldn't work, since I use almost the same method and it isn't killing anybody for me.
Also have a few other mining designation running elsewhere, so he choses another spot and runs immediately. Otherwise the 1-2 second "no job" hiatus will kill him

Grumbledwarfskin

• Bay Watcher
  • stilts don't have skin
    • View Profile
« Reply #15769 on: October 26, 2011, 11:01:04 am »

There's also a technique that adds a little magma drain zone to give the miner some additional time to get out...dig stairs down below where the miner will stand to cut the fortification, then the magma that flows in through the fortification will flow down those stairs, and there won't be more than 1/7 magma on the square your miner is standing in for a little longer, giving your miner more time to escape.

Ferrus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15770 on: October 26, 2011, 02:01:03 pm »

I embarked on a glacier and when designating a zone (Meeting area and such) it has the description "cold". How does this affect my dwarves? I intended to build inside the second ice-layer for the most part - Will they freeze once they habitually throw off all their clothes?

jeffreyac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15771 on: October 26, 2011, 03:53:37 pm »

I think I remember seeing this somewhere, but can't find it...

On embark, I found some hematite, got iron up and running, and cranked out several iron-armed squads.

I now have steel up and running (yeah, probably should have started there, but I'm new, and thought it would take longer than it did - plus I didn't realize I had flux....)  Anyway, I'd like to upgrade the equipment on my squads, one at a time, to steel. I figured I'd probably have to go into their equipment and specify 'steel' as the metal to get them to switch - is this correct? If I've miscalculated and try to switch out a squad before all the equipment is ready (or the dwarf can't find it), with partial matches enables, will he still wear his old iron stuff, or will he throw off the old iron and patiently wait to find a matching steel piece?

Last, and most importantly - is there an easier way to upgrade a squad's equipment? Just finishing up the set to upgrade one, and have 5 more squads to go...

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15772 on: October 26, 2011, 04:29:55 pm »

They'll auto-update their armor if you leave it at "metal" in the uniforms screen, as steel is more valuable than iron (barring extremely unlikely cases).
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15773 on: October 26, 2011, 05:43:30 pm »

Is glazing bugged? I had a guy glaze like a dozen stone pots with ash and he still doesn't show any experience in it neither in the game nor in Dwarf Therapist.

Just finishing up the set to upgrade one, and have 5 more squads to go...

I think you can make uniforms that require a specific metal and then assign those to whole squads one squad at a time with shift-enter or something like that. Or is that not what you're asking?
« Last Edit: October 26, 2011, 05:46:28 pm by assimilateur »

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #15774 on: October 26, 2011, 06:15:43 pm »

Is glazing bugged? I had a guy glaze like a dozen stone pots with ash and he still doesn't show any experience in it neither in the game nor in Dwarf Therapist.

Seems to be a bug others have reported.

http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=4577
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15775 on: October 26, 2011, 06:26:33 pm »

I see, thanks. I almost thought I had broke something when I modded skills to (hopefully) not rust, but that was unlikely seeing as how other skills seemed to work normally.

nightwhips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15776 on: October 26, 2011, 10:49:25 pm »

What are the ramifications of not having a militia captain for a squad? For example, via some sort of deadly dust... Does someone need to be promoted?
: Miner dwarves? In my volcano?

:I put childs into danger room...
They die, and their parents care nothing because legendary dining room.

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15777 on: October 27, 2011, 02:27:37 am »

What are the ramifications of not having a militia captain for a squad? For example, via some sort of deadly dust... Does someone need to be promoted?

IIRC you can't put more members into that squad if there is no leader.
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15778 on: October 27, 2011, 07:07:27 am »

Squads with no leader really don't function very well.  They won't equip themselves, they won't train (properly? at all?  I don't remember), and so on.  You'll want to promote someone to the leadership slot as soon as you can.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Ploder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15779 on: October 27, 2011, 07:46:59 am »

About how long does one game year take in real time for y'all? I have this weird feeling that my games are moving really slowly. About two hours from embark, I haven't yet reached autumn.
Pages: 1 ... 1050 1051 [1052] 1053 1054 ... 1178