Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1049 1050 [1051] 1052 1053 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1124698 times)

kardwill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #15750 on: October 26, 2011, 02:57:27 am »

Interestingly, I've had two kids randomly die of thirst.  I don't know for sure why, but I think they were in snatcher bags who were in cages at the time.

That's complete conjecture of course.  I've read that you can inspect the bags of a snatcher to see if a kid is in there, but I didn't even know such a thing was possible.  I nabbed a few snatchers, forgot about them instead of using them as training fodder, and some time later I got notifications that some kids died of thirst.  This happened on two separate occasions, but is seems to fit the evidence nicely.

If you know he was standing just out of reach of water though, I have no clue.  Was it a baby?  Babies need their mothers don't they?  Or can other dwarves feed / water them?

Yes,
* children in a captured snatcher's bag will stay in the bag. I already saw it happen. The child burst out of the bag as soon as I pitted and killed the thief, but he died of thirst before he could reach the booze.

* A baby whose mother was killed will probably die of thirst. He can't feed himself until he becomes a dwarven child.

So the problem could be either of these.

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15751 on: October 26, 2011, 03:38:56 am »

I'm not sure where to ask this, if there is a place to do so at all, so I figure I'll try my luck here.
I'm used to never being able to play one fortress for to long due to crashes and some gamebreaking bugs, when I have a certain error causing a crash consistently I would like to try and fix it at least though.
So this fortress I am playing at the moment is consistently giving me the following error followed by instant shut down:
Critical error: nemesis unit load failed.
I don't suppose anyone know what this means? I have a ton of un slabable ghosts floating around and am running dfhack for map cleaning purposes if this matters.
Edit: Forgot to mention my game is unmodded unlike the one in my sig

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #15752 on: October 26, 2011, 04:03:15 am »

It means your savegame folder has been corrupted. Here is a thread about it, from the previous version of DF. Don't know if the workarounds works, though.
Love, scriver~

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15753 on: October 26, 2011, 04:36:08 am »

Damn it, it keeps happening. Real early in this fortress to. Bah I need to take a break from this game, I simply cannot finish anything meaningful with all these crashes.
Thanks for the help, I'll have a readd through that thread.

Number7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15754 on: October 26, 2011, 04:46:18 am »

i have 2 dogs, one male and one female, how do i start breeding them like no tomorrow for meat and leather and military assistance?

i've never ever gone into the animal side of DF before lol

(nor have i gone into the meat or leather industries, but soon i shall no doubt be running around selling my dog-bone crowns, sceptors, rings etc to the elves while my dog-leather-clad dwarves feast on fresh.. dog meat. lol. )

oh and how do i get a war dog and have it follow my military squads around, to be a meat shield / assistance out of curiosity

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15755 on: October 26, 2011, 04:49:30 am »

If the dogs are not caged they will breed automatically.
They don't even need to be near or have acces to one another, a male will impregnate a female by his mere presence, something often called 'breeding through spores' in this community.

I wouldn't know about assigning a war dog, I remember reading it was bugged so I never bothered with it.

Number7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15756 on: October 26, 2011, 06:09:59 am »

If the dogs are not caged they will breed automatically.
They don't even need to be near or have acces to one another, a male will impregnate a female by his mere presence, something often called 'breeding through spores' in this community.

I wouldn't know about assigning a war dog, I remember reading it was bugged so I never bothered with it.

so i just ignore the dogs until theres a multitude running around the fort?

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile
« Reply #15757 on: October 26, 2011, 06:30:24 am »

Dogs are probably the best thing to farm in DF. They can be turned into wardogs to guard the entrance from kobolds and the like, which is very easy with pasturing, they don't eat grass and they don't clog up your butcher's shop. For this reason I like to start the game with four female dogs and just one male. Don't forget, you only really need one male dog, and a few others for 'backup'. The rest are lunch.
But .... It's so small!
It's not the size of the pick that counts... it's the size of the man with the pick.
Quote from: Toady One
Naturally, we'd like to make life miserable for everybody, randomly, but that'll take some doing.

kardwill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15758 on: October 26, 2011, 06:56:14 am »

For wardogs, build a kennel and use it to ask an animal trainer to 'train war animal'. He will automatically take a dog to the kennel and turn it into a wardog.
Then you can assign the dog to a soldier with the 'preference' menu of the dwarf.

Be advised, though : a wardog becomes the pet of the dwarf he's assigned to. It will be a useful meatshield, but the dwarf will be pissed off when 'little pooh' gets skewered by a pond graber.

That said, they are very useful bodyguards for important dwarves, and good guardbeast.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #15759 on: October 26, 2011, 06:57:53 am »

To assign animals - [v]iew the dwarf you want to assign it to, then go to their [p]references menu, then [e] for "work animals". Then simply select "assign war beast".

You can't select which animal to assign, though. Iirc, they are assigned in order of most recently trained - but I'm not very certain I do remember correctly.

eh, ninja'd.

edit: yup, did a quick check. It seems animals are assigned in order of most recently trained.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2011, 07:00:13 am by scriver »
Love, scriver~

Number7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15760 on: October 26, 2011, 07:01:48 am »

thanks guys!

i'm having a bit of trouble with said dogs right now, as some brave vulture is duking it out with my male dog, and winning! i shoved them on a pasture inside my fort where they shouldnt disgrace me anymore xD.

i hope the vulture doesnt kill my turkey hens :O

Oh, and can i put turkey hens inside my fort with nest boxes and still have them lay eggs, or do they have to be outside?

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15761 on: October 26, 2011, 07:22:11 am »

The egg-laying tamable birds don't need to eat in the current version, so your best bet is to build a nest box in a closet with a door, and then when the bird's on the nest box incubating her eggs, lock the door.  Don't unlock it until the eggs hatch.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15762 on: October 26, 2011, 07:54:56 am »

Or disable the eggs on your food stockpile(s) and in the kitchen menu. It's slightly more work but requires less micromanagement in the long turn.

gramm

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #15763 on: October 26, 2011, 08:02:31 am »

Hi,
Which version can I use that has economics enabled? If I understand well it's disabled as for now. I mean when dwarves must rent their bed and everything

Number7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15764 on: October 26, 2011, 08:30:39 am »

40d i believe has the economy. i hear everyone goes broke and doesnt get to live anywhere and !!FUN!! occurs because of it xD
Pages: 1 ... 1049 1050 [1051] 1052 1053 ... 1178