Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1045 1046 [1047] 1048 1049 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1124782 times)

nightwhips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #15690 on: October 23, 2011, 11:08:38 am »

Can dwarves use pikes? It's a little unclear in the wiki to me how to tell if a dwarf can use a weapon type or not.
: Miner dwarves? In my volcano?

:I put childs into danger room...
They die, and their parents care nothing because legendary dining room.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15691 on: October 23, 2011, 03:28:50 pm »

Can dwarves use pikes? It's a little unclear in the wiki to me how to tell if a dwarf can use a weapon type or not.

In the raws there are minimum and two-handed size requirements for every weapon. For pikes, the minimum value (62500) is higher than the average size of a dwarf (60000). This does not seem to be a problem in adventurer mode, where your guy will use anything, even in one hand, but last time I tried giving dwarves an oversized weapon in fortress mode, they wouldn't pick it up.

Granted, I think I tested this back in 40d. Seeing as how dwarves can, according the raws, now be up to 25% taller than average, on paper it looks like some of them will be able to use pikes and other large weapons. You can either mod the desired weapons to have a smaller size requirement, mod your dwarves to be taller, or settle for only drafting really tall ones into the militia.

Grumbledwarfskin

• Bay Watcher
  • stilts don't have skin
    • View Profile
« Reply #15692 on: October 23, 2011, 03:36:20 pm »

I haven't done any modding to test it, but my understanding is that there's a minimum weight requirement for each weapon type...or actually two: below a certain weight, a unit can't equip a weapon. Then there's a weight range for equipping the weapon as a multigrasp (two-handed) weapon. Units above that weight range can equip the weapon in a single hand.

A spear in the default raws has the range:
[TWO_HANDED:47500]
[MINIMUM_SIZE:5000] (minimum is unusually low because spears are used by small animal people)

A pike has the range:
[TWO_HANDED:77500]
[MINIMUM_SIZE:62500]

A dwarf's growth is defined by:
(format is age followed by size, years:days:average size)
   [BODY_SIZE:0:0:3000]
   [BODY_SIZE:1:168:15000]
   [BODY_SIZE:12:0:60000]

...So dwarves age 12+ weigh on average 60,000 urists, less than the minimum to equip a pike two-handed.

This is modified by the dwarf's height and "broadness", a randomly chosen percentage:
   [BODY_APPEARANCE_MODIFIER:HEIGHT:75:95:98:100:102:105:125]
      [APP_MOD_IMPORTANCE:500]
   [BODY_APPEARANCE_MODIFIER:BROADNESS:75:95:98:100:102:105:125]
      [APP_MOD_IMPORTANCE:500]

So the maximum is 125% weight due to being tall, 125% weight due to being broad, meaning a dwarf can reach 1.25*1.25*60,000 = 93,750 urists (assuming I'm right that they multiply with respect to each other).

Getting both 105% measurements would only give 66,150. Getting 125% for one and 102% for the other would yield only 75,000 urists, not quite enough. 105% and 125% together would be enough, at 78,750. So the two largest possible sizes for a dwarf would both allow single-hand wielding of a pike.

If you're going for it, look through physical descriptions for a large dwarf, assign them a pike, if it doesn't say "multigrasp" when they equip it, also give them a shield. Might be dangerous going shieldless.

Cananatra

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #15693 on: October 23, 2011, 04:49:02 pm »

Fairly new to Dwarf Fortress here, on my grand 3rd (though the 1st still lives). My second died due to lack of drink (oops) and i decided to reclaim it. Unfortunately, having arrived my little friends seem incapable of using the few workshops or beds or dining room that remained (i re designated them of course). Is there something i need do, akin to unforbidding the items, to get them working again for the dwarfs?

Keeshi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15694 on: October 23, 2011, 06:01:32 pm »

Need an opinion on an embarkment plan... Here are my 7 guys..

WoodCutter/Carpenter
Miner/Mason
Rockcrafting/apraz/judge of intent(not sure bout this last skill I like it tho)
Dr
Farmer/Brewer
Hunter/Marksman
Butcher/Tanner

I would bring 3 picks and have the Dr and the Rock crafter  mine the sand or clay layer for my first farm and storage area to help get their skill up, have the farmer setup a quick farm and be chopping wood when not farmer/brewing. My Miner would go down until he finds nice rocks to go into and setup our first 7 bedrooms(3x3) and a nice Dinning hall(8x8) After which, he would go 1 layer down and setup a 'catacombs' for the rocks I'll need for my crafts and so I can turn it into a tomb.

What do you guys think? I was thinking of making my butcher tanner have some leatherworking to start, or maybe just have him practice on all the leather he would be making from the hunter.....

nightwhips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15695 on: October 23, 2011, 06:21:53 pm »

Thanks for the feedback on my pike corps. I think I'll switch'em over to silver morningstars.
: Miner dwarves? In my volcano?

:I put childs into danger room...
They die, and their parents care nothing because legendary dining room.

Fredd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15696 on: October 23, 2011, 07:50:23 pm »

Keeshi, assigning the Dr a extra mining job I like. Beats the setup I normally use with Dr./carpenter. Farmer/brewer I worry about. A farmer with good skill levels can keep a fort running well, until more help arrives. But its labor intensive, especially with being a brewer also.
 Assigning the hunter plant gather skill will have benefits. When there are no huntable animals on the map, that dwarf can add to the food supplies by gathering plants.
 The main consideration with setting basic embark skills, is creating living/farming/stockpile spaces(mining), building furniture(bins, barrels, rock pots), producing foodstuffs for brewing/eating, processing them, and gathering raw materials. Besides creating trade goods for survival. Assign skills that increase the speed which they accomplish these tasks. You never know if the migrant wave will consist of all lyemakers or other skills not helpful for a early fort. In other words, stockpile booze, food, prepare for future migrants, ready defenses as fast as dwarvenly possible to help make your fort self sustaining
Should you fail to comply, strict !!disciplinary actions!! will be taken. Also, we feel we should remind you that one of the "criminals" on your list is the chief medical dwarf. If he ends up too badly injured to do his job, you will be fired. Out of a magma cannon.
Sincerely,
The Administration

Keeshi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15697 on: October 23, 2011, 07:55:01 pm »

Thanks Fredd ^_^ I'll keep the farmer/brewer away from chopping. And wow, I can't believe I forgot plant gathering >_<!!

Igfig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15698 on: October 23, 2011, 10:31:56 pm »

Important note on dwarf size: dwarves get bigger overall if their muscles grow or they get fat.  Give your soldiers lots of strength exercise and rich foods!

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile
« Reply #15699 on: October 24, 2011, 03:09:02 am »

Fairly new to Dwarf Fortress here, on my grand 3rd (though the 1st still lives). My second died due to lack of drink (oops) and i decided to reclaim it. Unfortunately, having arrived my little friends seem incapable of using the few workshops or beds or dining room that remained (i re designated them of course). Is there something i need do, akin to unforbidding the items, to get them working again for the dwarfs?

You have to reclaim everything. d > b > c is usually the easiest way. It doesn't work over multiple z-levels, so you'll need to do one at a time. If memory serves, even stones need to be reclaimed. Also, I believe reclaim sweeps away mud, so you might need to reflood certain areas an I'm not sure but I've heard tell that caverns are unmuddied by the effect of reclaiming.
But .... It's so small!
It's not the size of the pick that counts... it's the size of the man with the pick.
Quote from: Toady One
Naturally, we'd like to make life miserable for everybody, randomly, but that'll take some doing.

Cananatra

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #15700 on: October 24, 2011, 05:04:04 am »

Many thanks, that got it working.

PainRack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15701 on: October 24, 2011, 05:29:07 am »

Here's a quick question.... Can we breed cyclops or other sentient beings?

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #15702 on: October 24, 2011, 07:30:53 am »

Other than your dwarves, only creatures with the [PET] tag can breed.  Tigermen are [PET], so you can breed them, but there aren't any other sentient non-dwarves that you can breed.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

deknegt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15703 on: October 24, 2011, 10:18:19 am »

What do i need to change if i want to stop migrant waves after the first 2 obligatory ones?

I wish to start a family fort where after the 2 waves the only extra dwarves there will be are children.
What RAW do i need to change for this?

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #15704 on: October 24, 2011, 10:23:46 am »

Go into the d_init file and set [POPULATION_CAP:X] to 0. That should stop all migrants after the first two waves unless your population dips down below 10 dwarves. I don't think this will stop babies from being born, but it might.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.
Pages: 1 ... 1045 1046 [1047] 1048 1049 ... 1178