Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1044 1045 [1046] 1047 1048 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1124849 times)

Grumbledwarfskin

• Bay Watcher
  • stilts don't have skin
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #15675 on: October 22, 2011, 05:01:20 pm »

I did a little ‼science‼ on silk vs. leather, it appears to show that silk is slightly better than leather.

In 15 unarmed ten-vs-ten human battles, there were 6 wins for those wearing leather and 9 for silk.

In 16 ten-vs-tens with silver short swords, it came out a 7-9 victory for silk.

The victory margins seemed a bit weird, though...when leather won, it tended to be by a larger margin (i.e. with more surviving humans) than when silk won. The total survivor numbers were 39-53 in the unarmed battles, which still looks like a win for silk, but less decisively, and 49-53 in the sword battles, which is still technically a win for silk, but is likely a statistical dead heat, within the margin of error.

To declare a clear victor, you'd like to be able to say "if you wear X, you're more likely to win, and you're less likely to lose dwarves", but I don't feel like I can say that.

In contrast, with a test of silk vs. plant cloth using dwarves wielding silver short swords, silk was the clear victor in number of successes and an even clearer victor in survival margin, 11-4 and 64-20.

In all of these tests the humans or dwarves are wearing (in the chosen material):
1 shirt
6 cloaks
6 hoods
1 gloves
1 mittens
2 chausses
2 trousers

I went with multiples to increase the effect of the cloth armor, so the difference would (hopefully) show up better.

Relapse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15676 on: October 22, 2011, 06:05:13 pm »

Build up stairs.  Designate down or up/down stairs on that spot one Z-level up.  You should have no problem doing this.

Seems like it was just a glitch, a save and reload fixed it. For a while there I wasn't able to designate an area for stairs one Z level up.

Grumbledwarfskin

• Bay Watcher
  • stilts don't have skin
    • View Profile
« Reply #15677 on: October 22, 2011, 06:40:40 pm »

Build up stairs.  Designate down or up/down stairs on that spot one Z-level up.  You should have no problem doing this.

Seems like it was just a glitch, a save and reload fixed it. For a while there I wasn't able to designate an area for stairs one Z level up.
I've had that happen before, too. Might be related to a moderately rare pathing bug that nobody's been able to quite nail down related to digging out/constructing stairs, and units not being able to climb up them. Biggest problem with trying to solve it being that it doesn't survive a save/reload, so you can't upload a save file that demonstrates the problem, and nobody's been able to come up with steps to reproduce it.

GeorgiaPeanuts

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15678 on: October 22, 2011, 10:48:50 pm »

do gobrins in cages need food to live? I have had some gobrin in cage for 2 years now and they won't die....

I have them in a quarantine area where I put all the cages that caught things from my cage traps... DO I have to open them and have my military kill them? I need to get them out of the cages so I can reuse them to fill the traps again

TerryDactyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15679 on: October 22, 2011, 11:10:00 pm »

http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Mass_pitting

enemies in cages to not require food to live.

GeorgiaPeanuts

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15680 on: October 23, 2011, 12:54:44 am »

Ah ok, thanks :)

New question:

How do I stop dorfs from sleeping in the hospital when they are not sick... They are taking up beds I need for my dorfs who need medical assistance after my fight with the goblin ambush

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15681 on: October 23, 2011, 03:46:46 am »

Ah ok, thanks :)

New question:

How do I stop dorfs from sleeping in the hospital when they are not sick... They are taking up beds I need for my dorfs who need medical assistance after my fight with the goblin ambush
Known bug. Create rooms for everybody and/or create bigger hospital?
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

Dwarfu

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Advisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #15682 on: October 23, 2011, 04:32:11 am »

How do I stop dorfs from sleeping in the hospital when they are not sick...

As Kogut stated, known issue:  Bug #647.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15683 on: October 23, 2011, 08:17:14 am »

enemies in cages to not require food to live.

Enemies don't need food, full stop.  Nor do wild animals.  Only dwarves and their tamed animals need food.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Hannibal Barcalounger

• Bay Watcher
  • The Armchair General
    • View Profile
« Reply #15684 on: October 23, 2011, 08:43:43 am »

Can you build chimneys to the surface in order to clear miasma from refuse piles? If so, does it only need to be a single tile, or does the whole floor of the stockpile need to be listed as an Outside Light Above Ground tile?

Side View:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Would that prevent miasma on the whole stockpile, or just the one tile below the air shaft?
Days of frantic effort can save you hours of careful planning.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15685 on: October 23, 2011, 09:05:56 am »

Sadly only the one tile below the air shaft will be miasma free. (And even then miasma from other tiles will still spread into it)

There are other tricks to limit miasma though.  Miasma can't travel through diagonals (was never updated to 8 directional movement like everything else was) so it is possible to make a checkerboard pattern stockpile that will limit the miasma from an item to only the tile it occupies.  And with a little bit more space you can create hallways with diagonal paths every 2 tiles leading to 1 tile of refuse stockpile so that the only people bothered by the miasma will be ones who actually needed to use the rotting item.

Code: (Basic diagram) [Select]
▓=Wall  .= Floor = = refuse pile
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
▓=▓.▓=▓
▓▓...▓▓
▓=▓.▓=▓
▓▓...▓▓
▓=▓.▓=▓
▓▓...▓▓
▓▓▓.▓▓▓

Half a dozen of those will contain the miasma so nobody will be bothered by it and usually prevent accidental exposure through pathing through the tile.  Might want to widen the central halls if you have a lot of dwarves moving stuff into the things though.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Hannibal Barcalounger

• Bay Watcher
  • The Armchair General
    • View Profile
« Reply #15686 on: October 23, 2011, 09:20:27 am »

Sadly only the one tile below the air shaft will be miasma free. (And even then miasma from other tiles will still spread into it)

There are other tricks to limit miasma though.  Miasma can't travel through diagonals (was never updated to 8 directional movement like everything else was) so it is possible to make a checkerboard pattern stockpile that will limit the miasma from an item to only the tile it occupies.  And with a little bit more space you can create hallways with diagonal paths every 2 tiles leading to 1 tile of refuse stockpile so that the only people bothered by the miasma will be ones who actually needed to use the rotting item.

Code: (Basic diagram) [Select]
▓=Wall  .= Floor = = refuse pile
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
▓=▓.▓=▓
▓▓...▓▓
▓=▓.▓=▓
▓▓...▓▓
▓=▓.▓=▓
▓▓...▓▓
▓▓▓.▓▓▓

Half a dozen of those will contain the miasma so nobody will be bothered by it and usually prevent accidental exposure through pathing through the tile.  Might want to widen the central halls if you have a lot of dwarves moving stuff into the things though.

Cool design. And you could probably skip the wider hallways and just make restricted-traffic designations on the miasma'd stockpile tiles keep crowds from overflowing into places they shouldn't walk.

Does the single-tile chimney fail because the game actually calculates a path to fresh air, or because there's only a single Outside Light Above Ground tile? If I just need to create more O.L.A.G. tiles for the stockpile, I wouldn't mind the extra effort of digging out all of the tiles, then roofing them over and leaving a single-space air shaft to the outside.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15687 on: October 23, 2011, 09:30:24 am »

Its the only single outside light tile one.  Game dosn't currently check to see how close it is to outside, miasma generating stuff currently just checks to see if the tile the object is occupying is light or not.  If it's dark (underground) it generates miasma regardless of any other factors.  If it's light(aboveground) it does not.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #15688 on: October 23, 2011, 09:44:25 am »

Does the single-tile chimney fail because the game actually calculates a path to fresh air, or because there's only a single Outside Light Above Ground tile? If I just need to create more O.L.A.G. tiles for the stockpile, I wouldn't mind the extra effort of digging out all of the tiles, then roofing them over and leaving a single-space air shaft to the outside.
You don't even need the single-tile air shaft.  Once a tile has been touched by sunlight, it will always be light/aboveground, and therefore no item in that tile will make miasma.  Dig out the space over the refuse pile, then roof it over completely, and you won't get miasma.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Hannibal Barcalounger

• Bay Watcher
  • The Armchair General
    • View Profile
« Reply #15689 on: October 23, 2011, 10:14:53 am »

You don't even need the single-tile air shaft.  Once a tile has been touched by sunlight, it will always be light/aboveground, and therefore no item in that tile will make miasma.  Dig out the space over the refuse pile, then roof it over completely, and you won't get miasma.

Cool. Added that info to the wiki so that it isn't buried in this thread.
Pages: 1 ... 1044 1045 [1046] 1047 1048 ... 1178