Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1042 1043 [1044] 1045 1046 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1124929 times)

Table Turning

• Bay Watcher
  • Turnways.
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #15645 on: October 20, 2011, 12:56:50 pm »

Ergh.

Now I'll never drown these stupid cats in the waterfall.
Thats another use for useless immigrants.

ZeroSumHappiness

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15646 on: October 20, 2011, 01:10:40 pm »

I always prefer making an artificial river path:

1. Dig out the alternate path, but don't connect it to the river yet.  It can lead to a large lake, off the map, farther downstream, wherever it'll stay out of the way for a while.  Make it end next to the main river such that there's one tile of ground between the new path and the river.  The new path has to be high enough upstream that it'll significantly or completely prevent any water from reaching the dam point.
2. Add a valve to the alternate route if you want to shut it off later.  A raising bridge is destroyer-proof and easy.  Floodgates are not, but can be protected with floors and fortifications if you want to use them.
3. After you can use the valve, channel out the dirt between the river and the new path so that water flows that way instead.
4. Dam the original river however you want.  Walls or a valve.
5. Close the valves.  River is now trapped.

Another way of doing this is to use pumps instead of a valve in step 2.  I've found pumping perpendicular to the river from both sides is most effective.  A benefit of pumps is that if you do it right you can remove all evidence of any pumping afterward.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #15647 on: October 20, 2011, 01:13:14 pm »

Another more simple way is to simply diver the river downwards, I believe somebody here mentioned it when this question was asked, but it might have been in another thread. What you want to do is figure out which end of the river is the input and dig beneath it. You then want to dig down until you hit stone and then carve fortifications on the map edge to allow for an outlet drain. Make sure to build a bridge here so that you can turn the river back on when you want to. Then simply dig up into the bottom of the river. If done right, the river water should enter your map and immediately flow down a hole in the bottom of the river to a drain that takes it right back off the edge of the map. This should then proceed to eventually drain the entire river out, allowing you to build in it. Then all you have to do is pull the lever to flip the bridge up that blocks the drain, and the river should proceed to fill itself back up again.

Side view    ~=river  X=undug stone  F=fortification on map edge   B=raise/lowerable bridge
Code: [Select]
~~~~~
XX XX
XX XX
XX XX
XX_BF
You might also want to put in an escape route for the dwarf that digs into the river though.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2011, 01:15:34 pm by i2amroy »
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15648 on: October 20, 2011, 01:19:47 pm »

k have a little question: When using upright spikes/spears connected to a lever for repeating perforation traps, what actually does better? Spears or Menacing Spikes(assuming same quality/material)?
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Xen0n

• Bay Watcher
  • Took joy in ‼SCIENCE‼ lately.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15649 on: October 20, 2011, 02:27:20 pm »

Alright, all of these suggestions sound out of my reach besides maybe the natural wall one.  How would I go about doing that?  I'll throw in a picture of the waterfall.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Sorry to give the same advice twice, but I'll explain a bit more thoroughly just in case I did a bad job explaining the pump method earlier.  That you have a waterfall actually makes it even easier.

Spoiler: Pumping directions (click to show/hide)

fluffhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
DF autodump questions
« Reply #15650 on: October 20, 2011, 03:48:39 pm »

So I was playing around with DFAUTODUMP and I go into my stocks menu and designate a lot of clothing for dumping.  I then place my cursor in my fort, and run the program (through the lazy newb pack interface).  I successfully dumped a lot of items on to my dwarven atom smasher spot.  I then operated my bridge and smasherzed all that junk.  My question comes from the fact that after doing so, I went back into the stocks menu, and saw that there were still items which were marked for dumping, that didn't get dumped.  Any ideas why this didn't happen?  are these all items that are equipped still?  whether on goblins/trolls/dwarfs?  If so is there a way to dump these items too without assigning everyone to a military unit and assigning no uniform to them?  (and manually de-equipping my enemies?)

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF autodump questions
« Reply #15651 on: October 20, 2011, 04:10:24 pm »

So I was playing around with DFAUTODUMP and I go into my stocks menu and designate a lot of clothing for dumping.  I then place my cursor in my fort, and run the program (through the lazy newb pack interface).  I successfully dumped a lot of items on to my dwarven atom smasher spot.  I then operated my bridge and smasherzed all that junk.  My question comes from the fact that after doing so, I went back into the stocks menu, and saw that there were still items which were marked for dumping, that didn't get dumped.  Any ideas why this didn't happen?  are these all items that are equipped still?  whether on goblins/trolls/dwarfs?  If so is there a way to dump these items too without assigning everyone to a military unit and assigning no uniform to them?  (and manually de-equipping my enemies?)

Stuff on caged prisoners and in weapon traps get marked for dumping but won't be affected by autodump.
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

kardwill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15652 on: October 20, 2011, 04:14:23 pm »

k have a little question: When using upright spikes/spears connected to a lever for repeating perforation traps, what actually does better? Spears or Menacing Spikes(assuming same quality/material)?

Spikes are deadlier.

fluffhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF autodump questions
« Reply #15653 on: October 20, 2011, 05:28:18 pm »

Stuff on caged prisoners and in weapon traps get marked for dumping but won't be affected by autodump.

but it will take it off of dwarfs wearing the items?  or are those not dumped too?

Table Turning

• Bay Watcher
  • Turnways.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15654 on: October 20, 2011, 06:08:38 pm »

snip
Thanks a bunch, it'll help me once I get enough time to pull it through.
Thats another use for useless immigrants.

CapnUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Sure, it's safe to drink!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15655 on: October 20, 2011, 09:34:18 pm »

Someone's pet poult (baby turkey) apparently received some sort of stigmata, because it randomly bled to death. No combat reports, nothing in gamelog.txt about it beyond "Goden UgoshŠrith. Poult has bled to death", no magma or traps sitting around. Most that could have happened is it randomly got hit by a speardwarf practicing, without any combat log coming up. Any idea what happened here?
"My doctor says I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber [...] and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."

Xen0n

• Bay Watcher
  • Took joy in ‼SCIENCE‼ lately.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15656 on: October 20, 2011, 09:39:56 pm »

Someone's pet poult (baby turkey) apparently received some sort of stigmata, because it randomly bled to death. No combat reports, nothing in gamelog.txt about it beyond "Goden UgoshŠrith. Poult has bled to death", no magma or traps sitting around. Most that could have happened is it randomly got hit by a speardwarf practicing, without any combat log coming up. Any idea what happened here?

First thing that pops into my head is a Titan / Forgotten Beast Syndrome from deadly blood / beast extract that infected it somehow.  Not sure what other options are, though.

tyrannus007

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15657 on: October 20, 2011, 09:44:53 pm »

When I gen a new world, there are tons of humans and elves and goblins, but few dwarves. Using Legend Viewer and historical maps, I've found out that dwarves always rapidly decline about two years before the world finishes generating. Is it possible to change this? I know this doesn't have much of an effect on Dwarf Mode, but it bugs me.
GENERATION 26:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment

CapnUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Sure, it's safe to drink!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15658 on: October 20, 2011, 09:45:36 pm »

I suppose that's possible, though that's the first anyone's reacted to the only FB's "poisonous vapors" beyond the two militiadwarves' livers going cyan for a short time before healing.
"My doctor says I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber [...] and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."

AWellTrainedFerret

• Bay Watcher
  • An Axe Knight draws near!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15659 on: October 20, 2011, 10:32:58 pm »

Right now I'm getting spammed by "A masterwork of Armorer Urist McDorf's was lost" because I'm melting down all the copper caps he made while in training. Will this piss him off the way lost artifacts piss off their creator?
The Axe Knight attacks before you are ready!
The Axe Knight chants the spell of SLEEP!
Thou art asleep.
Pepare'th thine anus.
Axe Knight hath no lube.
Pages: 1 ... 1042 1043 [1044] 1045 1046 ... 1178