Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1041 1042 [1043] 1044 1045 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1124909 times)

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #15630 on: October 20, 2011, 06:38:40 am »

kardwill's version seems about right to me.
But .... It's so small!
It's not the size of the pick that counts... it's the size of the man with the pick.
Quote from: Toady One
Naturally, we'd like to make life miserable for everybody, randomly, but that'll take some doing.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15631 on: October 20, 2011, 07:15:52 am »

The problem is the corpse was probably tasked for hauling to the stockpile.

It often works this way :
- Hunter kills critter
- hunter brings back critter to the butchery
- butcher job is generated
- random hauler notices critter, and decides to take it to the refuse pile.

I work around this by never making a refuse stockpile.  On the rare occasion when I need refused moved before it decays on its own, I just use manual dumping.  Normally, I simply leave all the vermin corpses (etc.) where they are, since they no longer generate miasma.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #15632 on: October 20, 2011, 07:39:18 am »

I have a question of my own on the butcher job : My military killed some buzzards on my map, but only a few of them have been butchered. The 'mutilated buzzard corpses' are not recognised by the butcher. Is it because they're too small/damaged to generate any food?

Buzzards are usually too small to generate any meat or bones, so the butcher's shop won't touch them.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

beefsupreme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15633 on: October 20, 2011, 09:03:13 am »

I've decided to try a fort completely independent of the topside world for once, and I've been blessed with 3 full layers of pure soil. About how much wood, and how often, can I expect from one full z level devoted to tree farming on a 4x4 embark?

Particleman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15634 on: October 20, 2011, 09:32:34 am »

I've decided to try a fort completely independent of the topside world for once, and I've been blessed with 3 full layers of pure soil. About how much wood, and how often, can I expect from one full z level devoted to tree farming on a 4x4 embark?

Quite a bit. I have more than I think I'll even need and I'm only harvesting from the surface on a 3x3 embark (what with only needing so many beds and barrels can now be made from clay and stone.)

Xen0n

• Bay Watcher
  • Took joy in ‼SCIENCE‼ lately.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15635 on: October 20, 2011, 09:45:36 am »

In a previous fort, I had 3 soil layers, but built my fort starting in the soil layers (the fort covered about a 1x1 embark size area, in 3~4 layers of soil), and didn't dig out any specific tree farming areas.  This was when I vowed never to build in soil layers again, as even with 2 full time woodcutters it was a constant struggle to keep the pathways clear of trees.  Despite not using magma and relying on coal for all furnaces, I always had more wood than I could use, entirely on accident. 

Granted, this was in a Forested Biome, though I have no idea whether that affects underground plant life.  Does anyone know if Wooded/Forested/Sparse/etc. affects only surface flora?

EDIT: Decided to talk more.

Ranged weapon traps: are they any good? Do they shoot out of the tile they are on? Or it's just the same, or worse, effectiveness as a melee weapon, with the added burden of requiring reload?

About quality: what are the effects of quality (decorations included for trade goods and goblinite) in armor and weapons? Are they better, or just worth more dwarfbucks?

Masks: goblins bring me a good supply of those, but they show wear despite being made of iron and copper. WTF, since when does armor do that? Anyway, are they any good for face protection, something that no metal armor my dwarfs can manufacture offers to them?

• Both ranged and melee traps only attack creatures occupying the same tile as themselves.  Melee traps don't require reloading, but can become jammed with a corpse/body part, making them unusable until they are reset by a mechanic.  Ranged traps cannot be jammed, but need to be reloaded by a mechanic periodically as they run out of ammo.
  • Higher quality increases chance to deflect attacks for armor, and increases hit chance for weapons, as mentioned on the wiki.
  • Several items wear despite being made of metal (including cloaks made of spoilerite), it depends if they are classified as clothing or armor(items with a number in "Armor Level" count as armor and thus do not suffer wear).  I don't believe masks provide any significant defense; helmets, caps, and hoods seem preferred for the head.  The wiki has an example of optimum armor setup.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2011, 10:03:02 am by Xen0n »

eggrock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15636 on: October 20, 2011, 09:59:47 am »

I have a refuse pile full of vermin carcasses, ligaments, hair and other stuff I want to atom smash, while keeping the shell and bone.

I tried [k-D] and dumping the junk in a garbage zone under the smasher but only a few carcasses got moved. Anything special I need to do to get the ligaments/hair/etc. moved to the dump? I'm wary of pulling the lever only to have an idle dorf decide to dump the debris at an inopportune moment.

Why don't you build a wall and a door around the atomsmasher? Close it, and nobody can go there while you pull the lever.

Space issues (read: disorganization) at the moment. Preventing dwarven atoms from being smashed isn't really the problem though; just want to get the junk assigned to the right garbage pile and actually have it moved.

kardwill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15637 on: October 20, 2011, 10:25:44 am »

just want to get the junk assigned to the right garbage pile and actually have it moved.

You can't assign dumped garbage to a specific pile. They'll probably bring it to the nearest pile (as in, probably nearest from the dwarf when he decided to take the job), so it's possible some of the hair/cartilage/etc were brought to other garbage zones.
That's the reason I don't use quantum stockpiles anymore : activating or turning off each garbage zone was too much work... Now, I have only real multi-purpose dumping zones, used only for dumping garbage in the magma or in the smasher. Simpler this way

Or maybe some of the stuff is forbidden?

Table Turning

• Bay Watcher
  • Turnways.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15638 on: October 20, 2011, 11:22:29 am »

Is there any clever way to dam a river?  I tried a cave-in and all I got in return was a drowned dwarf.

And if it matters, I'm trying to stop a natural waterfall so it doesn't lag my game.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2011, 11:24:07 am by Table Turning »
Thats another use for useless immigrants.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #15639 on: October 20, 2011, 12:08:40 pm »

This was when I vowed never to build in soil layers again, as even with 2 full time woodcutters it was a constant struggle to keep the pathways clear of trees.  Despite not using magma and relying on coal for all furnaces, I always had more wood than I could use, entirely on accident.
You could have constructed some floors with all that wood...
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Xen0n

• Bay Watcher
  • Took joy in ‼SCIENCE‼ lately.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15640 on: October 20, 2011, 12:14:36 pm »

Is there any clever way to dam a river?  I tried a cave-in and all I got in return was a drowned dwarf.

And if it matters, I'm trying to stop a natural waterfall so it doesn't lag my game.

If the cave-in used constructed stone/wood/metal and not natural stone/soil, it deconstructs on impact and won't block water. 

The most reliable method I've found is to have a row of hand-powered screw-pumps running across the surface of the river, and divert the water downriver a few tiles, or even offmap with constructed walls making a pipe.  Then build a row of floodgates in the dry area downstream of the pumps. 

This was when I vowed never to build in soil layers again, as even with 2 full time woodcutters it was a constant struggle to keep the pathways clear of trees.  Despite not using magma and relying on coal for all furnaces, I always had more wood than I could use, entirely on accident.
You could have constructed some floors with all that wood...

The only thing I had more of than giant mushrooms, was loose rocks :)
« Last Edit: October 20, 2011, 12:24:22 pm by Xen0n »

ZeroSumHappiness

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15641 on: October 20, 2011, 12:15:06 pm »

There are many clever ways.

0. Plug it with a natural-walled cave-in.
1. Make obsidian with magma.
2. Pump out the water and build the dam.
3. Dig out an alternate route for the water with a valve, connect to the main river, open valve, dam up river, close valve.
4. Let it freeze in winter, dig it out and wall it up.
5. Drop a fire FB in it to steam it all away while you wall it up.
6. Build hundreds of wells over different tiles for each input tile and use them all in a highly coordinated fashion to drain out all the water from the river.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #15642 on: October 20, 2011, 12:16:59 pm »

Cave-ins only work with natural rock or soil.  Constructed walls will just deconstruct.

Your first option would be to pump magma up from the magma sea to make an obsidian barrier across the river.  This may take a large number of magma-safe screw pumps and a lot of power.

Your second option would be to construct an array of pumps on top of the river to pump the river back onto itself.  You will need as many pumps as the river is wide, and a constant source of power for them.  You will also need to build walls so that the pumped water is diverted back into the river or off the map so you don't just flood anything.  Once that is built and working you should be able to build a wall across, or better yet, a raising drawbridge so you can shut the waterfall on and off at will.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Table Turning

• Bay Watcher
  • Turnways.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15643 on: October 20, 2011, 12:52:05 pm »

Alright, all of these suggestions sound out of my reach besides maybe the natural wall one.  How would I go about doing that?  I'll throw in a picture of the waterfall.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Thats another use for useless immigrants.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #15644 on: October 20, 2011, 12:56:08 pm »

Actually the natural wall one is even harder to accomplish aboveground then the magma one, since it involves hauling both magma and water up to the surface to create obsidian so that you can cave it in. And if you are going to go to all of that trouble, you might as well just use the obsidian to dam the river anyways. Usually you would use the cave in method for an river or something similar that was underground or multiple z-levels deep so you couldn't just cast obsidian in it to block it.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.
Pages: 1 ... 1041 1042 [1043] 1044 1045 ... 1178