Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1038 1039 [1040] 1041 1042 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1124989 times)

Box

• Bay Watcher
  • [VERMINHUNTER]
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #15585 on: October 17, 2011, 12:10:38 pm »

Whenever I use k to examine the results of an ongoing battle with an ettin, the game seems to crash.  Mainly whenever the beast's blood or vomit shows up.

I'm looking through the wiki but I don't see any noted bugs regarding this.  Am I doing something wrong?
You should come inside the box.

Then you'll know what I mean.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #15586 on: October 17, 2011, 12:27:20 pm »

Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Box

• Bay Watcher
  • [VERMINHUNTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #15587 on: October 17, 2011, 01:42:28 pm »

Looks like it, thanks!

Guess I'll just have to be wary and use DFHack's cleanup tool after every battle with legendary beasties.

Another quick question, are there any modding tools or utilities out there that allow you to edit tiles directly to change them into different materials and such?  DFHack has a tool named "tiletypes" but it doesn't seem to work for me beyond making obsidian things.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2011, 02:13:25 pm by Box »
You should come inside the box.

Then you'll know what I mean.

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15588 on: October 17, 2011, 03:25:03 pm »

I swear you used to be able to build cages on bridges, and then retract the bridge to have the caged creature plummet to it's death. Am I imagining things?
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #15589 on: October 17, 2011, 03:41:49 pm »

I swear you used to be able to build cages on bridges, and then retract the bridge to have the caged creature plummet to it's death. Am I imagining things?

Yes, this has never been possible.  You can't build a building (such as a cage) on top of another building (such as a bridge).

What you can do is build a constructed wall over a pit, build the cage on top of the wall, link a lever to the cage, then deconstruct the wall.  The cage will remain floating in midair, until you pull the lever, causing the cage to deconstruct and the creature inside to fall free to its death.

You could also build a floor on top of a support, then build the cage on the floor, then link a lever to the support and pull it.  I suspect that will only result in the cage falling while the creature inside is uninjured.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #15590 on: October 17, 2011, 04:12:18 pm »

Of course if you also linked the same lever to the cage as well it might work.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Imminent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15591 on: October 17, 2011, 08:40:39 pm »

Is there a way to clear furrowed soil from floor tiles?
« Last Edit: October 17, 2011, 09:13:08 pm by Imminent »

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #15592 on: October 17, 2011, 09:56:04 pm »

Build over it. If a stone tile changes from 'muddy stone' to any kind of soil, then that's the way it will stay, and you can't remove the soil from it any more than you can remove soil from surface areas that have it.

You can do this deliberately by muddying a stone tile and waiting for cave moss (or whatever) to grow over it. If you want to be able to see the colours instead of a uniform brown, you have to create a farm plot and then put a dirt road over the furrowed earth.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Zeebie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15593 on: October 18, 2011, 06:57:17 am »

I have a ghost whose name does not appear in the engrave memorial list. He is causing negative thoughts for haunting. Any way to get rid of him?

Grumbledwarfskin

• Bay Watcher
  • stilts don't have skin
    • View Profile
« Reply #15594 on: October 18, 2011, 07:13:04 am »

A ghost that doesn't appear in the memorial list is usually a caravan guard (they don't have a historical record entry, so they can't be engraved). Only way to get rid of the ghost is to bury the body, if it still exists.

Well...in the bug report thread, ag reported that they'd worked around the issue by using a memory hack to give the ghosts the historical record of a goblin invader. But that solution is not generally available as a utility, as far as I know.

Matoro

• Bay Watcher
  • if you drive alone you drive with hitler
    • View Profile
« Reply #15595 on: October 18, 2011, 09:52:40 am »

Is there any good mod where you can play as humans? I tried search from DFFD and forums, but I couldn't find anything.

Ifeno

• Bay Watcher
  • UristMcSoldier is an enemy of the Twinkling Incest
    • View Profile
« Reply #15596 on: October 18, 2011, 09:59:38 am »

Can dwarves "dodge" flying rocks (from a catapult)?  Ie. can i train them in dodging by bombarding them with siege weaponry?
ive gotten in the habit of replacing my chief medical dwarf as soon as he gains any notable skill in diagnosis.
It's really funny watching them do unnecessary surgery because of a wrong diagnosis.
the conditions were bad enough to turn a dwarf who didn't care about anything mad, that's pretty hardcore.

deknegt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15597 on: October 18, 2011, 10:06:40 am »

How can i keep prepared food out of barrels?

It's probably an easy question but I hate it that when i thin out my stocks of plump helmets and make it into meals, the dwarves continue to toss em into barrels (which are there for BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOZE).

Problem i am facing is that i can undesignate barrels on one stockpile, but they just haul it to the other one.

How can i keep my prepared noms on one stockpile without the use of barrels whilst the other foods get put on my general stockpile?

ZeroSumHappiness

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15598 on: October 18, 2011, 10:10:34 am »

Use stockpile -> reserve barrels to keep barrels open for brewing purposes.

deknegt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15599 on: October 18, 2011, 10:19:23 am »

Use stockpile -> reserve barrels to keep barrels open for brewing purposes.

I see, do i need to replot my barrel using stockpiles now?
Pages: 1 ... 1038 1039 [1040] 1041 1042 ... 1178