Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1037 1038 [1039] 1040 1041 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1124997 times)

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #15570 on: October 16, 2011, 08:36:48 pm »

Individual bedrooms, high-quality furniture, waterfalls, a good variety of food and booze, and a high-quality dining hall all give good thoughts to dwarves, which can help them stop being miserable.

There's not much you can do about the ones that are already crazy, but the others are still manageable.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2011, 08:38:19 pm by proxn_punkd »

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15571 on: October 16, 2011, 09:18:28 pm »

I have a dwarf who won't train. The rest of the squad trains, but he doesn't. His job is "Go to demonstration," or something similarly military, but he just stands there.

I checked out the square he was standing on. It contained a masterwork copper breastplate and some more stuff. I forbade the stuff. He went off.

He did it again, on a different square, with a different breastplate. I forbade that breastplate. He went off.

And now it's happened a third time.

He's healthy, so it's not an issue where he can't pick the damn thing up.

???

Nick

Grumbledwarfskin

• Bay Watcher
  • stilts don't have skin
    • View Profile
« Reply #15572 on: October 16, 2011, 09:24:34 pm »

Things that can help stave off a tantrum spiral:

A good mayor is very helpful when tempers are short, since angry dwarves arrange meetings with the mayor...one with high social skills can calm them down, it's believed that "consoler" is particularly important, though I'm not sure there's much ‼science‼ on which social skills are most important in mayoral meetings. Turn off the mayor's labors, so meethings happen promptly and dwarves get calmed down faster.

Job satisfaction - Take an unhappy dwarf. Look at their preferences. Order them to make or use something that they like, by making them the only one with the corresponding labor turned on and queuing a job, or a few jobs. I'm fairly certain will give them the "satisfied at work lately" happy thought (no testing on my part to confirm that theory, but I've seen anecdotal evidence, e.g. miners that like picks having that thought).

Legendary dining - Make sure you have a dining hall set up, with enough space for everyone that wants to eat. It helps if the chairs and tables are highly valuable, as dwarves will often admire them, but if you can't get masterworks, just a large dining facility will work wonders...dwarves see any large dining room as "legendary", and get the "dined in a legendary dining room recently" happy thought when they eat there.

No rations - Military dwarves that carry meals in their backpacks will eat them without going to the dining room, which means no "legendary dining" happy thought, and you want your military dwarves to be happy. Turn off carrying rations in the military menu, or don't let them have backpacks to carry rations in. For the same reason, don't build chairs outside your dining rooms, except as needed by nobles, and never build a chair without a table next to it ("lack of tables" unhappy thought).

Personal rooms - Dwarves that have their own furnished bedroom often get happy thoughts such as "slept in a fine bedroom recently" and "admired own bed/cabinet/chest/door recently". You can also lock unhappy dwarves in their rooms when they go to bed by forbidding passage on the door, and force them to spend more time admiring their own fine beds, etc. (just try to keep them from starving/dehydrating in the process).

Statuary - Statues are some of the most valuable furniture that you can place around the fort, even a -statue- can give dwarves powerful happy thoughts. Lining corridors with statues and establishing statue gardens can often lead to dwarves admiring "a completely sublime statue recently". Why looking at statues of goblins striking down dwarves makes them more cheerful is anyone's guess.

Wells - Dwarves that need to wash off contaminants or are tired of booze will get annoyed if they have to use water from a stream/river/pool instead of well water, being "annoyed by the lack of a well recently". More than that, though, if you've gotten any masterwork or artifact buckets, chains, ropes, or mechanisms, it's very easy to create a "completely sublime well", especially if you have a skilled architect or mason, that can design/construct a masterwork well. Setting it as a meeting place from the (q) menu will lead to it also getting admired by jobless dwarves that don't need water. If you don't have any quality ropes or buckets, I'll bet using gold or steel blocks to build the well would go a long way toward making it sublime, too.

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15573 on: October 16, 2011, 09:28:25 pm »

That was interesting.

After forbidding the breastplate I changed the lazy-ass dwarf's equipment so he no longer needed a breastplate, and unforbid the one he'd been obsessively trying to put on. Ten seconds later I notice a recruit standing in the same goddamned spot, on the same goddamned breastplate, doing the same goddamned jack-squat. So I marked it for dumping.

Now I have my recruit and spear-dwarf at least walking around.

Nick

Grumbledwarfskin

• Bay Watcher
  • stilts don't have skin
    • View Profile
« Reply #15574 on: October 16, 2011, 09:50:07 pm »

I have a dwarf who won't train. The rest of the squad trains, but he doesn't. His job is "Go to demonstration," or something similarly military, but he just stands there.

I checked out the square he was standing on. It contained a masterwork copper breastplate and some more stuff. I forbade the stuff. He went off.

He did it again, on a different square, with a different breastplate. I forbade that breastplate. He went off.

And now it's happened a third time.

He's healthy, so it's not an issue where he can't pick the damn thing up.

???

Nick

Sounds like an issue with your dwarf not being able to wear all the armor you assigned to them. Is the dwarf already wearing a breastplate or a fair bit of other armor and clothing? They can only wear one breastplate, as it's shaped armor, but the game might try to make them wear two, if they're assigned e.g. "metal armor" and "breastplate" as part of their gear...if there isn't enough chainmail available, they'll try to wear two breastplates, and fail.

The other reason they might not be able to wear it is "permit" issues (not being able to fit another piece of armor on top of the armor and clothing they're already wearing). You can turn on "replace clothing" for their squad, if it's too much civilian clothing that's preventing them from equipping all their military gear, but you'll then have to order them to wear socks, pants, and mittens manually (you have to do it eventually, anyways, once their original clothing wears out.)

It's also been reported that dwarves sometimes put on armor in the wrong order, and can't fit on the rest of their armor because they can't fit a breastplate over the cloak they're wearing, or can't fit a chainmail shirt over the breastplate they're wearing. Though I've also heard it said that most of those issues are fixed in 0.31.25. If that's the issue, remove the parts of their equipment that the breastplate can't fit on top of, and they'll probably be able to fit it on. Then re-add that equipment after the breastplate is equipped.

Edit: also, having military with mining, woodcutting or hunting labors enabled can cause problems with equipping gear.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2011, 10:02:24 pm by Grumbledwarfskin »

nightwhips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15575 on: October 16, 2011, 10:25:04 pm »

Cancels "collect webs": could not find path. spam X 2000.

So, the weird thing is that no dwarves are burrowed, and I had no problems collecting webs before, and I can SEE paths to both cave spider and giant cave spider silk webs. Anyone got any hints for this one? There are webs in other cavern levels that are closed off, but this has been true before and was not a problem.
: Miner dwarves? In my volcano?

:I put childs into danger room...
They die, and their parents care nothing because legendary dining room.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15576 on: October 16, 2011, 10:28:44 pm »

If you can see webs, there might not actually be a path to it except through water. Explore as much of the caverns as possible to prevent it.

nightwhips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15577 on: October 16, 2011, 11:55:35 pm »

If you can see webs, there might not actually be a path to it except through water. Explore as much of the caverns as possible to prevent it.

So, I can see a PATH to webs on the first cavern layer. In fact, I have a cavern defense barracks, and there are dwarves training only 20 tiles away with no water in the way. No forbidden doors, etc.

There are, however, tons of webs on the 2nd layer that are (by design) completely inaccessible. Are they finding those webs (all of a sudden) and not being able to path? Why now?

Matoro

• Bay Watcher
  • if you drive alone you drive with hitler
    • View Profile
« Reply #15578 on: October 17, 2011, 07:46:08 am »

What is temperature in caverns? And if I channel everything between 1st cavern and surface (surface has freezing temperature), what is temperature in opened cavern then?

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #15579 on: October 17, 2011, 09:44:26 am »

I can SEE paths to both cave spider and giant cave spider silk webs. Anyone got any hints for this one?
I just did a bit of checking and having auto-collect turned on does cause cancellation spam when webs are in a sealed cavern. I tried forbidding webs that were on impassable workshop tiles and finally all webs, and only the latter stopped the auto-collect spam.

For the ones that should be pathable, do you have any burrows on the weaver or the civilians?

What is temperature in caverns? And if I channel everything between 1st cavern and surface (surface has freezing temperature), what is temperature in opened cavern then?
10015 degrees Urist (47F or 8C) for 'Subterranean' tiles. Any tile marked as 'Above Ground' will have surface temperatures.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15580 on: October 17, 2011, 10:56:57 am »

How do I efficiently dig a pit several z-levels deep without killing all my miners?
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #15581 on: October 17, 2011, 11:07:42 am »

How do I efficiently dig a pit several z-levels deep without killing all my miners?
Dig one layer at a time, using channels.  Channel out the topmost layer of the pit.  Once that layer is completely channeled, and not a moment before, channel the next layer down.  Repeat until the pit is as deep as you like.  Optionally, dig an access stairwell next to the pit beforehand so your miners can enter and exit at any time.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15582 on: October 17, 2011, 11:09:18 am »

Dig one layer at a time, using channels.  Channel out the topmost layer of the pit.  Once that layer is completely channeled, and not a moment before, channel the next layer down.  Repeat until the pit is as deep as you like.  Optionally, dig an access stairwell next to the pit beforehand so your miners can enter and exit at any time.

*slaps forehead* Man, why didn't I think of an access stairwell? Derrrrrp. Thank you :P
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

Grumbledwarfskin

• Bay Watcher
  • stilts don't have skin
    • View Profile
« Reply #15583 on: October 17, 2011, 11:54:09 am »

I can SEE paths to both cave spider and giant cave spider silk webs. Anyone got any hints for this one?
I just did a bit of checking and having auto-collect turned on does cause cancellation spam when webs are in a sealed cavern. I tried forbidding webs that were on impassable workshop tiles and finally all webs, and only the latter stopped the auto-collect spam.

Hmm...so it should be possible to forbid all webs from the stocks menu, then d-b-c the webs you know can be collected. I've had a few issues with web collection spam, myself, since my second cavern is open but the first is sealed.

It may have to be repeated on a regular basis, as additional inaccessible webs are created.

nightwhips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15584 on: October 17, 2011, 12:02:41 pm »

Hmm...so it should be possible to forbid all webs from the stocks menu, then d-b-c the webs you know can be collected. I've had a few issues with web collection spam, myself, since my second cavern is open but the first is sealed.

It may have to be repeated on a regular basis, as additional inaccessible webs are created.

I will give this a shot. I just don't understand why now, you know? The second layer has been open nearly as long as the first because I had no trees and went for magma immediately.

As for the question about burrows, at one point I burrowed a single weaver to an area with webs, and that worked fine, but eventually he cleaned them out and I had killed enough trogs that the cavern seemed safer, so I deleted that burrow. Currently the only burrow in existence now is the Home Burrow for goblin events, and it is decidedly not on.

I wonder if somehow one of the 2nd layer webs is now the shortest path. That still seems odd because I know there are some webs that have grown in my tunnels, and that are quite close to the stairwell. Will report back.

Pages: 1 ... 1037 1038 [1039] 1040 1041 ... 1178