Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1036 1037 [1038] 1039 1040 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1125116 times)

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #15555 on: October 16, 2011, 12:28:21 am »

Does having a 3x3 embark help framerate a bit?  My framerate tends to cringe up in a corner and die slowly once I get more than 100 dorfs.
Smaller embark = more FPS
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #15556 on: October 16, 2011, 01:33:06 am »

Does having a 3x3 embark help framerate a bit?  My framerate tends to cringe up in a corner and die slowly once I get more than 100 dorfs.
This goes vertically as well. There are options in the advanced worldgen where you can reduce (or increase) the amount of z-levels.
Love, scriver~

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15557 on: October 16, 2011, 03:23:39 am »

I just saw I could build a floor grate directly on a built floor. How does the result act? I assume I'd better remove the floor, if I want to use the grate to clean Dwarfs.

If the desired goal is clean dwarves, water falling through a grate isn't exactly the optimal solution, for the reasons i2amroy discussed.  Dwarves who are admiring a waterfall up close will become clean, yes, but the grate will become soiled, and then some dwarf will feel compelled to clean it, and you'll get spammed with job cancellations because the grate that he's trying to clean is suddenly in deep water during the job.  It's highly irritating.

The best way to get clean dwarves is to have them walk through 2/7 or 3/7 water.  You can put the dwarf wash troughs right before the waterfall, to avoid contaminating the grate, if you wish.
Hmm, thanks for the tip (to i2amroy as well) but I was thinking of deconstructing the grates after a short period, that should clean them up, no? Seems to work with doors, at least.
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

beefsupreme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15558 on: October 16, 2011, 11:56:17 am »

I think I understand irrigation, but I'm not totally sure. If I flood and then drain a room deep underground, after the caverns are breached, will floor fungus grow there, allowing me to pasture grazing animals?

Grumbledwarfskin

• Bay Watcher
  • stilts don't have skin
    • View Profile
« Reply #15559 on: October 16, 2011, 12:10:37 pm »

Yes, fungus will grow, and you can use the space as a pasture, farm, or tree farm. Flooding an area with water and draining it leaves "a dusting of mud" behind (sometimes "a pile of mud"), and fungus/shrubs/trees grow on underground mud once the caverns have been breached.

madjoe5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15560 on: October 16, 2011, 12:34:59 pm »

This goes vertically as well. There are options in the advanced worldgen where you can reduce (or increase) the amount of z-levels.

And also know that generally, map features (more so than size) tends to affect framerate. Rivers, brooks and especially oceans are pretty expensive fps wise. I dont know much about ponds/ lakes or other stationary waters.

Actually, does anyone know how much of an affect stationary environment things (like murky pools or even above ground boulders or trees/shrubs) have on fps?

AWellTrainedFerret

• Bay Watcher
  • An Axe Knight draws near!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15561 on: October 16, 2011, 01:00:40 pm »

Yes, fungus will grow, and you can use the space as a pasture, farm, or tree farm. Flooding an area with water and draining it leaves "a dusting of mud" behind (sometimes "a pile of mud"), and fungus/shrubs/trees grow on underground mud once the caverns have been breached.

Just a quick question. I was away from 3.18 until this newest path 3.25. Does mud in caverns still disappear on reclaiming a lost fort?
The Axe Knight attacks before you are ready!
The Axe Knight chants the spell of SLEEP!
Thou art asleep.
Pepare'th thine anus.
Axe Knight hath no lube.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #15562 on: October 16, 2011, 01:23:52 pm »

Just a quick question. I was away from 3.18 until this newest path 3.25. Does mud in caverns still disappear on reclaiming a lost fort?
Mantis case file is still open, so it looks like it's not been fixed yet.
Love, scriver~

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #15563 on: October 16, 2011, 02:10:01 pm »

Actually, does anyone know how much of an affect stationary environment things (like murky pools or even above ground boulders or trees/shrubs) have on fps?
For the pools as long as all of them are at the same x/7 level they shouldn't take any processing power at all. If they start to dry up they will be taking up processing power as it moves the water around inside the pool, but even so it shouldn't take up that much unless you have a ton of pools in your embark. For the boulders it shouldn't take any power at all so it should have no effect. The trees will have an effect but it will be so small that it can basically be considered to have no effect. Basically it would be similar to having a dwarf take one extra step every time a tree grew to maturity, and the placement part of it shouldn't take up any really since the grass is already being placed as well.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

bloomis

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #15564 on: October 16, 2011, 05:20:41 pm »

Is there some sort of trick to using fortifications?  I've got dwarves with crossbows on one side, goblins on the other, and I gave them the kill command.  Nobody's shooting.

beefsupreme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15565 on: October 16, 2011, 05:23:44 pm »

Is there some sort of trick to using fortifications?  I've got dwarves with crossbows on one side, goblins on the other, and I gave them the kill command.  Nobody's shooting.

If the dwarves don't get right up next to the fortifications, they can't shoot through unless they have a high enough marksman attribute (I want to say master, but that might be wrong)

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #15566 on: October 16, 2011, 05:30:45 pm »

The kill command only works if the dwarves can path to the goblins, and usually results in them trying to melee the target.  You'e better off ordering them to stand where they can see the goblins.  Also, use walls to force them to stand right next to the fortifications, since ordering them to a position only results in them standing vaguely near the position unless you give them no choice.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

bloomis

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #15567 on: October 16, 2011, 05:37:41 pm »

I don't think the kill command is the issue.  I've tried it with and without.  And my dwarves are in the adjacent squares.  Is there a minimum range?  My target is three or four squares from the fortifications.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #15568 on: October 16, 2011, 05:55:32 pm »

That should work.  Check their inventory and make sure they have ammunition.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

bloomis

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #15569 on: October 16, 2011, 07:53:25 pm »

OK, I've got another question.  Any tips for avoiding the spread of insanity?  This has happened to me a couple of times, where something bad happens, and it puts everybody in a foul mood, and drives a couple of dwarves insane.  Next thing you know, they're attacking passersby, and probably murdering, and that puts all of the victim's buddies in an even worse mood, and before you know it, some of them go crazy and the whole cycle gets worse and worse.  This last time, I accidentally walled in two dwarves and a baby, and by the time I noticed, they were crazy and/or dead.  I'm losing more fortresses to this than not.

So, once I notice that lots of dwarves are miserable or maybe crazy, is it already too late?  Or is there something I could do to stem the tide of madness?
Pages: 1 ... 1036 1037 [1038] 1039 1040 ... 1178