Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1034 1035 [1036] 1037 1038 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1125186 times)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #15525 on: October 13, 2011, 10:40:05 am »

I remember it as "watching [skill] demonstration". It's been some while since I really played, though (saving myself for the new release), so I might be remembering wrong.

Also the wiki on training really needs a touch up. The "Training" article is focused almost entirely on sparring, which is rather distorted. Maybe I'll brush up on my knowledge and try to do something about it.
Love, scriver~

Zeebie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15526 on: October 13, 2011, 11:41:10 am »

Does glazing increase the value of earthenware?

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #15527 on: October 13, 2011, 11:59:43 am »

Does glazing increase the value of earthenware?
It came up some pages ago, but there never were a definite answer. If you would try it out and come back and tell us, you would gain many points.

Also, check the wiki, it might've been updated on the issue.

Spoiler: Earlier Discussion (click to show/hide)
Love, scriver~

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #15528 on: October 13, 2011, 12:23:36 pm »

With a Talented glazier who was neither hungry nor thirsty nor drowsy:

Ash glaze on a 900* earthenware statue = 950* statue with a note about it being glazed with ash glaze.
Tin glaze on a 900* earthenware statue = 1000* statue with a note about it being glazed with tin glaze.

Additionally, because I glazed a stone statue first time around:

Ash glaze on a 300* granite statue = 350* statue with a note about it being glazed with ash glaze.
Tin glaze on a 125* diorite statue = 225* statue with a note about it being glazed with tin glaze.

So it looks as though there are no quality modifiers for glaze either.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Zeebie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15529 on: October 13, 2011, 03:17:57 pm »

With a Talented glazier who was neither hungry nor thirsty nor drowsy:

Ash glaze on a 900* earthenware statue = 950* statue with a note about it being glazed with ash glaze.
Tin glaze on a 900* earthenware statue = 1000* statue with a note about it being glazed with tin glaze.

Additionally, because I glazed a stone statue first time around:

Ash glaze on a 300* granite statue = 350* statue with a note about it being glazed with ash glaze.
Tin glaze on a 125* diorite statue = 225* statue with a note about it being glazed with tin glaze.

So it looks as though there are no quality modifiers for glaze either.

I got the same results for glazing clay pots -ash glaze adds 50.  Pots are marked as decorated when glazed. 

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15530 on: October 13, 2011, 06:19:51 pm »

A stupid question, windows are waterproof, correct? I'm building a base at the bottom of an artificial lake to be manned by Aquanauts and I would prefer them surviving as soon as the water comes in. Second question, can tantrumers/berserkers knock windows down?

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15531 on: October 13, 2011, 06:38:37 pm »

Last I checked windows are indeed waterproof.  And yes, tantrums and berserks will smash them.  Might want a lot of doors.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Zorae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15532 on: October 13, 2011, 08:46:39 pm »

Is there an advantage to using a millstone instead of a quern?

Particleman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15533 on: October 13, 2011, 11:16:38 pm »

Is there an advantage to using a millstone instead of a quern?
As I understand it, it takes less time to finish a job at a millstone.

eggrock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15534 on: October 14, 2011, 04:09:54 pm »

I read most of the Gemclod story yesterday and it raised some questions about how magma behaves.

One of the Gemclod overseers flooded a natural magma pool with water, creating a cap of obsidian in place of !!MAGMA!!. However, naturally occurring pools of magma attempt to return to their original level (wiki: resulting in an unlimited quantity)

I'm guessing that:

1) The obsidian cap was slowly melted away and destroyed as the magma asserted itself and returned to its natural level.
2) They should have floored over the surface of the magma, leaving holes for magma forges, smelters etc.

Is it possible to drain the magma out and replace it with constructed walls, permanently lowering the level?

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #15535 on: October 14, 2011, 04:14:52 pm »

I personally haven't read the Gemclod story myself, however I'll try to explain best as I can with the information you gave. Yes, magma will attempt to rise to whatever level it was at earlier, however walls or floors, wether they are created through the mix of magma and water to make obsidian or built, are indestructible and will block the rising magma. If, however, there is an empty hole in the cap then the magma will rise up out of that whole in an attempt to reach its former height. Also if you drain the magma out and constructed a complete cap over the top of it it should lower the level as long as there are no holes in the cap to let the magma rise again.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

lemmily

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • BatFinchBears
« Reply #15536 on: October 14, 2011, 08:51:03 pm »

Do dwarves with splints eventually heal enough that they no longer need them? I have a dwarf with like 5 splints and I think it was stopping him from being able to train properly. I removed him from the military, but I'd like to add him again at some point !
I make furry things - BatFinch Bears

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15537 on: October 14, 2011, 11:42:57 pm »

Is it possible to do something with owned clothes dropped in rooms before providing cabinets? Except pumping magma 40 z-levels up?

(repost)
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #15538 on: October 15, 2011, 01:38:05 am »

I believe that dwarves will eventually heal to the point that they no longer need splints, however I believe that much like sutures the splints are never actually removed. As for why he wasn't training, I don't see how the splints could cause a conflict with that.

I believe DFHack has a utility that can remove ownership from an object. Other than that I can't think of anything, though if your problem is simply that it looks disgusting try simply hiding the clothes in question so you don't see them.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15539 on: October 15, 2011, 01:41:40 am »

Well, but I will know that this sock is there. (I know, it is pathological - but that is why I play DF)

EDIT: And it still will block doors etc.
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.
Pages: 1 ... 1034 1035 [1036] 1037 1038 ... 1178