Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1033 1034 [1035] 1036 1037 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1125178 times)

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #15510 on: October 11, 2011, 03:42:16 pm »

I currently have one yak bull and one yak cow, I will cage the bull and report back when I have results. How long do you think I should leave it for before we can conclusively say that they don't breed from cages?
At least a year.  Of course, your yak bull will have long since starved to death by then.  Try it with an animal that doesn't need to graze.

Wait, grazing animals starve in cages? I thought cages were still stasis devices that would keep your creatures in limbo no matter their injuries?

No.  Cages are not stasis devices.  Creatures will starve and/or die of old age in cages.  They can also die of blood loss or infection if they're injured before being caged.  The only thing cages protect against is drowning (or being injured by falls or exposure to airborne poisons).  Think pocket universes, not stasis devices.

Much of the technology we use today is based on Dwarven Quantum Engineering, or DQE. Ever wonder how you can make a dragons hide as smooth as silk, or make the skin of a puppy as tough as steel? DQE. Ever wonder how you can place a zillion stones on the same spot? DQE. Ever wonder how a wooden cage will hold a megabeast made of magma? DQE. Ever wonder how you can fit 2340 elves and a cyclops in a cage the size of a female dwarf? DQE.

All hail, Dwarven Quantum Engineering!
Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.
You beat a man to death with his dick?

"I don't feel like myself. Maybe I should have Doc take a look at me" ~ Dreamy
 "You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15511 on: October 12, 2011, 03:01:15 am »

Is it possible to do sth with owned clothes dropped in rooms before providing cabinets? Except pumping magma 40 z-levels up?
Sth?
something
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #15512 on: October 12, 2011, 03:04:30 am »

Nothing I know of, then. They just lie around and take up space.
Love, scriver~

KalLaba

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15513 on: October 12, 2011, 10:16:49 am »

Ok , so now I have one squad of steel clad dwarves , and two of leather ( Im still making suits for them).
So should I use the leather armour made by my legendary leatherworker or goblinite ?

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #15514 on: October 12, 2011, 10:22:01 am »

Ok , so now I have one squad of steel clad dwarves , and two of leather ( Im still making suits for them).
So should I use the leather armour made by my legendary leatherworker or goblinite ?
Goblinite would probably be better since iron is a "better" material than leather and will go through the leather armor. Instead try having your leatherworker start working on making cloaks and robes, as these are really the only things that will protect some of the more vulnerable parts of dwarves like their faces and necks, and by making them out of leather it will be even more protective then having a pig tail cloak.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Imminent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15515 on: October 12, 2011, 07:08:41 pm »

My dogs and other domesticated animals are attacking each other for no apparent reason.
I am aware that grazing animals require pasture or they will assault each other, however this has been occurring between non grazers.

Anyone know whats going on?

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #15516 on: October 12, 2011, 07:17:00 pm »

All animals will fight if crowded, not just grazers.  Pasture them, or put them in cages or on chains.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15517 on: October 12, 2011, 07:21:06 pm »

Won't they still fight on chains, though?

Also, you ninja'd me again, Sphalerite. We're gonna have to take this outside.
Love, scriver~

Zeebie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15518 on: October 12, 2011, 09:23:02 pm »

Can I build a drawbridge on the ground (as opposed to over a gap)? I just want an insta-wall.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #15519 on: October 12, 2011, 09:25:20 pm »

Absolutely, you can build a drawbridge on flat ground.  Be aware that you won't be able to channel the ground out afterwards without deconstructing the bridge, not even if it's raised.  But if all you want is a controllable wall, it'll work fine.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15520 on: October 13, 2011, 03:05:38 am »

Absolutely, you can build a drawbridge on flat ground.  Be aware that you won't be able to channel the ground out afterwards without deconstructing the bridge, not even if it's raised.  But if all you want is a controllable wall, it'll work fine.

And you can't designate a stockpile on/under them either. Is it possible to designate an activity zone on/under a bridge tile, or if not, what's the trick of the Dwarven Atom Smasher?

Other question: is there a way to permanently or temporarily make a pet, humanoid, war-trained creature into a something that can be conscripted into my military, and permanently assigned equipment? I've read about Cacame, Elf King of Dwarves, and back then it was possible to do with Dwarf Companion... however, AFAIK DC isn't supported by the current game version.

The aim is to take my modded tigermen (pet, with innate weapons skills, trainable and already war-trained, [EQUIPS] so they come wearing large clothes but no armor, and equipping no weapon despite [HABIT_USE_ANY_MELEE_WEAPON]... shouldn't that have them make a beeline to the nearest weapons stockpile? IIRC it works fine with minotaurs where it's copied from...) actually pick up weapons and if possible shields. Bonus if they can stay conscripted into squads after being switched back from dwarf to war tigermen.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2011, 04:21:29 am by Tirion »
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15521 on: October 13, 2011, 07:16:18 am »

Yes, you can designate a garbage dump zone on the bridge.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Matoro

• Bay Watcher
  • if you drive alone you drive with hitler
    • View Profile
« Reply #15522 on: October 13, 2011, 09:50:13 am »

What means if dwarf's status is "getting provisions"? And what is difference between "invidual combat drill", "training session", "[skillname] training" and "sparring"?

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15523 on: October 13, 2011, 10:12:18 am »

What means if dwarf's status is "getting provisions"? And what is difference between "invidual combat drill", "training session", "[skillname] training" and "sparring"?
Getting provisions = He is filling up his backpack with food or his waterskin/bottle with drink.

Individual combat drill = He is training on his ownsome, going through different combat moves with himself. Don't know if this trains more than just the weapon skill. Mostly happens when the dwarf is training off-duty, I think, or when he is the only one in a squad.

[Skill] training = Said skill is what is being trained, I'd guess. Otherwise nothing special.

Sparring = He is train-fighting with at least one other dwarf.

"Training session" I can't remember seeing, so I can't answer that. Perhaps it is what is says before the dwarf decides what and how to train?
Love, scriver~

HammerHand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15524 on: October 13, 2011, 10:33:18 am »

I thought "Training Session" was when they attend a demonstration led by a different Dwarf?  Or is that "Attend [skill] Demonstration" or the like?
Sooooooaaaaaap!
Tha's grreat!
Soooocks!
Pages: 1 ... 1033 1034 [1035] 1036 1037 ... 1178