Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1032 1033 [1034] 1035 1036 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1125231 times)

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #15495 on: October 10, 2011, 08:25:34 pm »

Is it possible to create a vermin civilization, i.e., one composed of one of the races of little blinky people who wander the map in certain biomes? Would this vermin civ be capable of fulfilling (successfully or not) the different functions of normal civilizations, e.g. wielding tools and weapons, crafting items...?
“I am the spirit that negates. And rightly so, for all that comes to be. Deserves to perish wretchedly; 'Twere better nothing would begin."

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15496 on: October 11, 2011, 05:03:00 am »

I turned off invaders in the d.init file, started the game (continue playing)... next thing I know, A vile force of evil has arrived! WTF? Does the game track inbound sieges, snatchers, thieves and ambushers just like migrant waves, meaning that setting a criteria to prevent their coming only affects those not already on the way? Or what?
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #15497 on: October 11, 2011, 07:41:33 am »

I turned off invaders in the d.init file, started the game (continue playing)... next thing I know, A vile force of evil has arrived! WTF? Does the game track inbound sieges, snatchers, thieves and ambushers just like migrant waves, meaning that setting a criteria to prevent their coming only affects those not already on the way? Or what?

Yep, changes to the invaders on/off setting take a while to take effect due to invaders who are 'on the way' when the setting is changed.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15498 on: October 11, 2011, 08:37:58 am »

Is it possible to do sth with owned clothes dropped in rooms before providing cabinets? Except pumping magma 40 z-levels up?
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

Zeebie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15499 on: October 11, 2011, 08:53:30 am »

If soldiers have civilian labors enabled, does that decrease from their training time? Or do they do the civilian stuff after they would be done training anyway?

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #15500 on: October 11, 2011, 09:29:01 am »

Is it possible to do sth with owned clothes dropped in rooms before providing cabinets? Except pumping magma 40 z-levels up?
Sth?

If soldiers have civilian labors enabled, does that decrease from their training time? Or do they do the civilian stuff after they would be done training anyway?
They'll still do whatever amount of on-duty training they're assigned, but I believe some personalities also might train in their own free time, which they'll of course will have less time to do if they have other off-duty duties to perform.
Love, scriver~

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #15501 on: October 11, 2011, 01:27:24 pm »

Is it possible to create a vermin civilization, i.e., one composed of one of the races of little blinky people who wander the map in certain biomes? Would this vermin civ be capable of fulfilling (successfully or not) the different functions of normal civilizations, e.g. wielding tools and weapons, crafting items...?
I don't think that this would work since vermin aren't "real" creatures.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15502 on: October 11, 2011, 01:51:06 pm »

Can creatures breed if they're in cages?
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15503 on: October 11, 2011, 01:52:40 pm »

Can creatures breed if they're in cages?
Female creatures won't become pregnant while in a cage.  Creatures which are pregnant before they are caged will give birth in the cage, but if they aren't pregnant before being caged they won't become pregnant in the cage.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15504 on: October 11, 2011, 02:03:20 pm »

What about males? Are they still able to reproduce while in a cage, with females who aren't in a cage?
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15505 on: October 11, 2011, 02:33:39 pm »

What about males? Are they still able to reproduce while in a cage, with females who aren't in a cage?

Good question.  It used to be that they could not, but this may have changed in the current version.  I have had a few pregnancies occur in animals despite the only males on the map being caged.  I don't know if anyone's done any rigorous testing to prove or disprove this however.

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15506 on: October 11, 2011, 02:50:31 pm »

I currently have one yak bull and one yak cow, I will cage the bull and report back when I have results. How long do you think I should leave it for before we can conclusively say that they don't breed from cages?

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15507 on: October 11, 2011, 02:55:28 pm »

I currently have one yak bull and one yak cow, I will cage the bull and report back when I have results. How long do you think I should leave it for before we can conclusively say that they don't breed from cages?
At least a year.  Of course, your yak bull will have long since starved to death by then.  Try it with an animal that doesn't need to graze.

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15508 on: October 11, 2011, 03:00:13 pm »

At least a year.  Of course, your yak bull will have long since starved to death by then.  Try it with an animal that doesn't need to graze.

Wait, grazing animals starve in cages? I thought cages were still stasis devices that would keep your creatures in limbo no matter their injuries?

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15509 on: October 11, 2011, 03:15:05 pm »

Wait, grazing animals starve in cages? I thought cages were still stasis devices that would keep your creatures in limbo no matter their injuries?

No.  Cages are not stasis devices.  Creatures will starve and/or die of old age in cages.  They can also die of blood loss or infection if they're injured before being caged.  The only thing cages protect against is drowning (or being injured by falls or exposure to airborne poisons).  Think pocket universes, not stasis devices.
Pages: 1 ... 1032 1033 [1034] 1035 1036 ... 1178