Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1031 1032 [1033] 1034 1035 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1125238 times)

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Hunter not hunting
« Reply #15480 on: October 10, 2011, 07:56:10 am »

I have quivers, crossbow, wood and bone bolts (both specified for hunting to use), labor enabled.  Not hunting.  No special burrow's assigned either.  Just chilling in my fortress (I verified his inventory having a quiver and crossbow, although I did not see any bolts on him)

The bolts should be inside the quiver.  Press Enter when you've got the quiver highlighted to see its contents.

Are there any wild animals on the map?  If so, is there a path from the hunter to the animal?
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Grumbledwarfskin

• Bay Watcher
  • stilts don't have skin
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #15481 on: October 10, 2011, 08:46:25 am »

My question: is there a way to get rid of dwarf clothing? I want to assign uniforms to all my dwarfs instead, but I can't get them to drop their wearing clothes... I reckon there was an utility for that, wasn't it?

I think people use a utility to delete clothing or remove clothing ownership sometimes, not sure what it is.

You can, without the need for utilities, set the uniforms to (m)->(e)->(r)eplace clothing instead of the default "over clothing", in which case everyone will store their civilian clothes in their rooms, and then grab new, unowned clothing/armor to wear, assuming it's available.

If you use the utility to remove ownership of clothing, you might want to set the uniforms to "replace clothing" first, so that dwarves won't start claiming ownership of clothing again right away.

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15482 on: October 10, 2011, 08:59:28 am »

How does one capture pixies? I have noticed several swarms of the buggers, I must cage them!

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #15483 on: October 10, 2011, 09:02:35 am »

Have a dwarf with the Trapping skill.  Build several Animal Traps.  Set them out where the pixies are found, possibly with bait (do Pixies go for bait?  I don't know.).  Or, set the catch small animal job on repeat at your kennels and hope your Trapper can catch some.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15484 on: October 10, 2011, 09:41:53 am »

No a bait wouldn't work I think, I looked em up in the raws and they have vermin_notrap, wiki tells me the following about it.
"The creature cannot be caught in baited animal traps; however, a "catch live land animal" task may still be able to capture one if a dwarf finds one roaming around."
However since they tend to fly about reaching them directly is tricky. I thought maybe someone knows if there's a trick to it.

JoeyS7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15485 on: October 10, 2011, 10:49:06 am »

Can they path there? Locked door, maybe?

My question: is there a way to get rid of dwarf clothing? I want to assign uniforms to all my dwarfs instead, but I can't get them to drop their wearing clothes... I reckon there was an utility for that, wasn't it?

Nope, there is a clear path, and no locked doors.

As to answer your question, I believe in the military menu there is an option to disable "underclothing" or something like that.  Pretty much an option that only let's them wear the clothes you assign.  I wouldn't do it if I were you, though.  It may give them a bad thought.

nightwhips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Hunter not hunting
« Reply #15486 on: October 10, 2011, 11:07:31 am »

I have quivers, crossbow, wood and bone bolts (both specified for hunting to use), labor enabled.  Not hunting.  No special burrow's assigned either.  Just chilling in my fortress (I verified his inventory having a quiver and crossbow, although I did not see any bolts on him)

I've had the same thing happen. I've had perfectly successful hunting with two hunters out and about, and then after a while I'll realize they're on the No Job listing, despite the presence of camels outside, tons of bolts, and as far as I can tell, perfectly good paths. Then they start a while later. Clearly there's something we're both missing.
: Miner dwarves? In my volcano?

:I put childs into danger room...
They die, and their parents care nothing because legendary dining room.

Ifeno

• Bay Watcher
  • UristMcSoldier is an enemy of the Twinkling Incest
    • View Profile
« Reply #15487 on: October 10, 2011, 12:59:53 pm »

Is there a glitch with military exp going on right now?  I recently started a new game and set my military up as usual.  However after several years almost all of them are still recruits and only 2 have passed novice.  Normaly they should be legendary in at least 1 thing after the first year let alone 3 or 4...
ive gotten in the habit of replacing my chief medical dwarf as soon as he gains any notable skill in diagnosis.
It's really funny watching them do unnecessary surgery because of a wrong diagnosis.
the conditions were bad enough to turn a dwarf who didn't care about anything mad, that's pretty hardcore.

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15488 on: October 10, 2011, 01:11:46 pm »

Is there a glitch with military exp going on right now?  I recently started a new game and set my military up as usual.  However after several years almost all of them are still recruits and only 2 have passed novice.  Normaly they should be legendary in at least 1 thing after the first year let alone 3 or 4...

Novice sounds more than a little slow, but Legendary..? Do you normally use danger rooms/unorthodox training methods? Mine are usually skilled within the first year...

How does one capture pixies? I have noticed several swarms of the buggers, I must cage them!

A note on those pixies! I am currently trying to look out for the welfare of Jeff, the fortress fairy. All of his predecessors were smitten by the roving packs of stray cats that haunt the hallways and pray on vermin, friend and foe alike. I've considered creating a pasture in the food stocks and assigning the felineostrosities to it to do their work, and creating a quadruple-door "airlock" to prevent the Jeff and his fabulous friends from following anyone in.

Fun proof..?
“I am the spirit that negates. And rightly so, for all that comes to be. Deserves to perish wretchedly; 'Twere better nothing would begin."

Ifeno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15489 on: October 10, 2011, 01:15:15 pm »

Novice sounds more than a little slow, but Legendary..? Do you normally use danger rooms/unorthodox training methods? Mine are usually skilled within the first year...

Legendary in one thing...meaning...maybe fighter/wrestler or something.  Or at least elite.  I generally have them trained un-armed before handing them the dangerous toys.  Just mentality that im stuck with from when they actually hurt each other with weapons.  And...i use the term year loosely.  Maybe its not one year on the dot.  Maybe its 1.5 years.  I don't really clock it ;)
ive gotten in the habit of replacing my chief medical dwarf as soon as he gains any notable skill in diagnosis.
It's really funny watching them do unnecessary surgery because of a wrong diagnosis.
the conditions were bad enough to turn a dwarf who didn't care about anything mad, that's pretty hardcore.

nightwhips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15490 on: October 10, 2011, 02:03:25 pm »

Legendary in one thing...meaning...maybe fighter/wrestler or something.  Or at least elite.  I generally have them trained un-armed before handing them the dangerous toys.  Just mentality that im stuck with from when they actually hurt each other with weapons.  And...i use the term year loosely.  Maybe its not one year on the dot.  Maybe its 1.5 years.  I don't really clock it ;)

Yeah, if you're getting dorfs to legendary in that time, I'd love to know your methods. I have a seven year old fort and despite trying to follow all the suggestions for military I don't have one legendary weapon dorf yet.
: Miner dwarves? In my volcano?

:I put childs into danger room...
They die, and their parents care nothing because legendary dining room.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #15491 on: October 10, 2011, 02:16:33 pm »

Yeah, if you're getting dorfs to legendary in that time, I'd love to know your methods. I have a seven year old fort and despite trying to follow all the suggestions for military I don't have one legendary weapon dorf yet.

As regards general (non-exploit) training speed increases, you should have smaller squads using a single weapon. Smaller squads mean there are fewer demonstrations (since one dwarf will only need to bring one or two others up to speed) and more sparring (once they have similar skill sets.) Focusing on one weapon means they only try to train one weapon skill. I normally don't see Legendaries through this method until a few years later at least, and normally they hit Legendary Fighter/etc well before weapon skill catches up.

Ifeno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15492 on: October 10, 2011, 04:02:03 pm »

As regards general (non-exploit) training speed increases, you should have smaller squads using a single weapon. Smaller squads mean there are fewer demonstrations (since one dwarf will only need to bring one or two others up to speed) and more sparring (once they have similar skill sets.) Focusing on one weapon means they only try to train one weapon skill. I normally don't see Legendaries through this method until a few years later at least, and normally they hit Legendary Fighter/etc well before weapon skill catches up.

Not sure if this matters but i rarely have my dorfs spar.  Rather i have em do..."target practice".  Traders, Ambushes, Any wild animals.  I pretty much have my military run around and slaughter everything that moves...

With fighting and wrestling, a single elephant can go a loooooooong way.  Similarly if you have em train hammering using wooden crossbows.  Also, i try to have my dorfs 1v1.  Meaning 1 dwarf vs 1 elephant...gang rape kills enemies too quickly...
« Last Edit: October 10, 2011, 04:03:39 pm by Ifeno »

PainRack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15493 on: October 10, 2011, 06:19:27 pm »

Here's a quick question regarding coffins.
I have a couple of dwarves buried in coffins that I would like to "relocate". What happens when I remove the construction?

I'm placing to build a grander manuesoleum for my mayor child, along with the impending death of a near legendary siege engineer(damn you. Why the hell did you equipp yourself with a xbow against a goblin archer?). How can I relocate their coffins?

Similarly, one can't assign a tomb to a dwarf after they died, but can I rebuild a tombroom?

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #15494 on: October 10, 2011, 08:20:25 pm »

Sorry for a quote pyramid but I've found that you CAN have a Legendary squad of soldiers in the first year. Just that...They are your founding team.

Generally a 2 or 3 man squad will spar with each other with no problem so that is what you start with. Same weapon or not, I've not experienced problems as they spar all the same but the rate of individual drills is more than if they all had the same weapons. Just in the first month, if you have a couple of dwarves that are set with the same weapon (like a novice sword), they will be sparring by the end of the first or the second month  :) .
Set the training to the max number of dwarves in the squad and build an armor stand and weapon rack straight off and you're set.

Well, this is all in my opinion though but it always works with me. No need for traps  :D
Pages: 1 ... 1031 1032 [1033] 1034 1035 ... 1178