Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1028 1029 [1030] 1031 1032 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1125291 times)

Target Practice

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #15435 on: October 06, 2011, 11:15:20 am »

No experience with salt water myself (I've never done an ocean embark), but what I get from the wiki aritcle on salt water is that if you build a constructed underground cistern in a salt water biome, the ground has already been marked as salty, and you'll end up with salt water. If you've got a pond that isn't salt water, though, that is in a fresh-water biome, and you can build a constructed cistern underground entirely in that biome, fill it with a screw-pump, and get fresh water, regardless of what kind of water was pumped in.

Yeah, that's what I was planning on doing having read the article, I just wanted to double-check that it would actually be a sound approach before I wasted valuable building time doing it. :)

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15436 on: October 06, 2011, 05:27:46 pm »

My dorfs fail to disarm caged goblins... somehow, this problem appeared in second or third year, d-b-c + d-b-d plus 'k' and manual undump worked before. I had some nasty ambushes so I ordered them to forbid death items, etc, but none of those look like "caged goblin's sodding silver pike in my magma mass dump, Armok dammit" to me. It cost me a stoneworker trying to lead one of them to a restraint for a GCS silk farm...What do I overlook?
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

Box

• Bay Watcher
  • [VERMINHUNTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #15437 on: October 06, 2011, 07:29:00 pm »

I'm looking to generate a world that has many plains/forests directly adjacent to sharp cliff faces.  For example, the outside, temperate areas would be lush and grassy right next to quickly-rising cliff faces ripe for flattening out.  Mainly because this makes it a lot easier to keep an eye on what's going on outside when there aren't a lot of z-levels to browse through, and also because it would be really useful as a sort of blank canvas for megaproject attempts.  Also, a lush and tree-filled area burns well when there are bad things outside, and a sheer cliff face makes pumping stuff a lot easier for me.

I can't find a proper balance, though.  Too much erosion seems ruins the sheer cliffs (more like hills) despite allowing the (very useful) rivers to run through them.  Not enough erosion and heavy x/y-variance on elevation seems to remove plains from existence entirely.  At least, any place my dwarves can survive at, the places I've wasted time embarking at, seems to be this way.

Is there a worldgen variable I need to play with to make this work or am I going to have to learn Perfect World creation?
« Last Edit: October 06, 2011, 07:32:39 pm by Box »
You should come inside the box.

Then you'll know what I mean.

Fredd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15438 on: October 06, 2011, 08:19:52 pm »

Tirion sounds like one of the soldiers had the job of dumping the pike, but had to go train before he could dump the weapon
Should you fail to comply, strict !!disciplinary actions!! will be taken. Also, we feel we should remind you that one of the "criminals" on your list is the chief medical dwarf. If he ends up too badly injured to do his job, you will be fired. Out of a magma cannon.
Sincerely,
The Administration

Ifeno

• Bay Watcher
  • UristMcSoldier is an enemy of the Twinkling Incest
    • View Profile
« Reply #15439 on: October 06, 2011, 11:03:59 pm »

For some reason my dwarves wont remove a few of my floor tiles.  I had a big block of floor on top of a wall (which was utterly pointless)  I decided to get rid of it and they refused to remove random pieces of it.  When i try to do it again via "remove building" it's highlighted in RED and it wont let me re-select it.  How do i fix this?
ive gotten in the habit of replacing my chief medical dwarf as soon as he gains any notable skill in diagnosis.
It's really funny watching them do unnecessary surgery because of a wrong diagnosis.
the conditions were bad enough to turn a dwarf who didn't care about anything mad, that's pretty hardcore.

Hannibal Barcalounger

• Bay Watcher
  • The Armchair General
    • View Profile
« Reply #15440 on: October 06, 2011, 11:24:50 pm »

(Just out of curiosity, though, why not have them wear their armor full-time rather than just on-duty?)

I do have them set to wear their armor all the time, but there are a lot of breastplates on the barracks floor along with cloth shirts and other stuff that I assume got discarded as the proper uniform pieces got produced in the leather shop and forge.

I suppose I should go back and check to see if the breastplates are still part of the uniform, or if I accidentally took them out of the definition somehow.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2011, 01:52:49 am by Hannibal Barcalounger »
Days of frantic effort can save you hours of careful planning.

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15441 on: October 07, 2011, 12:48:28 am »

Tirion sounds like one of the soldiers had the job of dumping the pike, but had to go train before he could dump the weapon

Nope... I had 40 idles with hauling enabled, and the gobbo had all his stuff down to his thong, marked to be dumped, yet was allowed to keep it.
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #15442 on: October 07, 2011, 06:27:36 am »

Did you have a lot of other dumping going on? Dorfs don't prioritise well.
Love, scriver~

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #15443 on: October 07, 2011, 06:48:29 am »

My dorfs fail to disarm caged goblins... somehow, this problem appeared in second or third year, d-b-c + d-b-d plus 'k' and manual undump worked before. I had some nasty ambushes so I ordered them to forbid death items, etc, but none of those look like "caged goblin's sodding silver pike in my magma mass dump, Armok dammit" to me. It cost me a stoneworker trying to lead one of them to a restraint for a GCS silk farm...What do I overlook?

So to cover some parts,

1. Do you have an active garbage dump zone?
2. Do your dumpers only have the 'refuse hauling' labor on?
3. Are the cages stored in an animal stockpile and not constructed?
4. Are they still in the cage trap? It won't work if they are stuck in the cage trap. Must be in stockpile.

All answers are susceptible to error.  ;)

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #15444 on: October 07, 2011, 07:34:41 am »

For some reason my dwarves wont remove a few of my floor tiles.  I had a big block of floor on top of a wall (which was utterly pointless)  I decided to get rid of it and they refused to remove random pieces of it.  When i try to do it again via "remove building" it's highlighted in RED and it wont let me re-select it.  How do i fix this?
Highlighted in red means you aren't looking at a constructed floor on this Z-level, but the top of a constructed wall on the Z-level below.  If you want to remove that, you have to remove the wall on the Z-level below it.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Ifeno

• Bay Watcher
  • UristMcSoldier is an enemy of the Twinkling Incest
    • View Profile
« Reply #15445 on: October 07, 2011, 09:27:40 am »

derp ur right XD.  Thanks, got it!  8)
ive gotten in the habit of replacing my chief medical dwarf as soon as he gains any notable skill in diagnosis.
It's really funny watching them do unnecessary surgery because of a wrong diagnosis.
the conditions were bad enough to turn a dwarf who didn't care about anything mad, that's pretty hardcore.

Arek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15446 on: October 07, 2011, 10:45:50 am »

Have you ever tried chopping trees with training/wooden axe?
One of my woodcutters is doing it.
So my question is: bug or feature?

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15447 on: October 07, 2011, 11:14:58 am »

If I turn off invaders and ambushes etc in the .ini, then generate a fort, will I get ambushes on that fort if I turn invaders on again?
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #15448 on: October 07, 2011, 11:35:59 am »

If I turn off invaders and ambushes etc in the .ini, then generate a fort, will I get ambushes on that fort if I turn invaders on again?
Yes, although it may take a year or so for them to start showing up.

The same applies if you have invaders turned on and then turn them off:  you can continue to get invasions for seasons afterwards.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15449 on: October 07, 2011, 11:47:10 am »

Yes, although it may take a year or so for them to start showing up.

The same applies if you have invaders turned on and then turn them off:  you can continue to get invasions for seasons afterwards.

That's good, I've never been particularly good with getting military ready early (not just in this game, I suck at it just as bad in Dawn of War, Company of Heroes, Starcraft, etc... :P) so I'll turn them off for a bit first :P
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."
Pages: 1 ... 1028 1029 [1030] 1031 1032 ... 1178