Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1026 1027 [1028] 1029 1030 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1125292 times)

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #15405 on: October 04, 2011, 03:16:29 pm »

if bins are a problem, set the amount of bins in the stockpile to zero?

You can set the amount of bins/barrels that shall be used in it

Thanks. Bins in the stockpile aren't a problem though. My problem is that my artifacts aren't being hauled to the new stockpile. I mentioned bins because I thought the problem might be that some of the artifacts are currently stored in bins in other stockpiles.

The other stockpiles need to have their permissions set to not allow artifacts, or else the dwarves will never move the artifacts out of them.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

nightwhips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15406 on: October 04, 2011, 03:24:29 pm »

Can someone explain what "needs improvable item" comes from? Is that a range issue? I have tried "Decorate with bone" and sometimes (but not always) get this response. I have clothes around, I have ammo around (looks like there's typo in the wiki? you can definitely decorate ammo with bone), etc. I think I should be able to decorate this stuff, but I get "needs improvable item". The decorateables are NOT forbidden.

Any hints here?
: Miner dwarves? In my volcano?

:I put childs into danger room...
They die, and their parents care nothing because legendary dining room.

Grumbledwarfskin

• Bay Watcher
  • stilts don't have skin
    • View Profile
« Reply #15407 on: October 04, 2011, 04:16:43 pm »

How can I make a stockpile for adamantine strands?
Adamantine strands are considered a type of thread, so they go in "cloth" stockpiles.

Make a cloth stockpile, (q)->(s) on it, and (f)orbid all the categories of cloth/thread except "thread (metal)".

Watch out for hospitals. I'm not sure how bad it is, but there are rumors that dwarves love to stock the hospital with adamantine thread, and doctors prefer to grab adamantine thread to suture patients. Reports suggest there's no sure fire way to prevent it. The best sounding suggestion I've seen is to forbid your adamantine thread until you're ready to make wafers.

Grumbledwarfskin

• Bay Watcher
  • stilts don't have skin
    • View Profile
« Reply #15408 on: October 04, 2011, 04:28:29 pm »

Can someone explain what "needs improvable item" comes from? Is that a range issue? I have tried "Decorate with bone" and sometimes (but not always) get this response. I have clothes around, I have ammo around (looks like there's typo in the wiki? you can definitely decorate ammo with bone), etc. I think I should be able to decorate this stuff, but I get "needs improvable item". The decorateables are NOT forbidden.

Any hints here?

There are a lot of workshops that seem to have range restrictions...I know the error message for a butcher shop is something "needs nearby butcherable item", and I've seen my carpenters cancel jobs when the wood is too far away (unless the issue was just that haulers had "reserved" all of the available logs for their hauling tasks).

I'd try placing a stockpile for the type of goods that you actually want decorated near the workshop. Something like a furniture stockpile with only masterwork quality allowed is great for making highly valuable twenty-types-of-hoof-and-horn encrusted statues/tables/thrones/barrels/buckets (think "I could build a well from that"), etc.

If you're just using it for training, and don't want to put decorations on your masterworks until you can guarantee the decorations will be quality, maybe a finished goods stockpile instead.

nightwhips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15409 on: October 04, 2011, 06:23:18 pm »

Eh, I hadn't even thought about that. So used to other craftsperdwarves going a long long way to make their graphite mugs and such. I'll try moving more goods closer.

-nightwhips
: Miner dwarves? In my volcano?

:I put childs into danger room...
They die, and their parents care nothing because legendary dining room.

Table Turning

• Bay Watcher
  • Turnways.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15410 on: October 04, 2011, 07:11:06 pm »

Is there any way I can make my game completely STOP canceling digging designations in warm stone?  I know how to make it stop pausing me and bringing me to the area, but I want to be able to designate a nice large area for my magma stuff.  It's situated right above the magma sea, explaining the warm stone.
Thats another use for useless immigrants.

Flare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15411 on: October 04, 2011, 10:39:41 pm »

Dwarf Fortress => Data => Init => announcements.txt

Look for [DIG_CANCEL_DAMP: BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH]

Chang it to this

[DIG_CANCEL_DAMP:A_D:D_D]

They'll still stop digging revealed tiles that turn out to be wet, but they won't make announcements about it.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #15412 on: October 05, 2011, 02:08:10 am »

Ignore this post, made it by accident. 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15413 on: October 05, 2011, 06:51:05 am »

I'm building an underground reservoir for well water, but siphoning water from the river is completely impractical. What can I do?
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

Grumbledwarfskin

• Bay Watcher
  • stilts don't have skin
    • View Profile
« Reply #15414 on: October 05, 2011, 09:54:44 am »

You can designate it as a "pond zone" and the dwarves will form a bucket brigade to fill it up.

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15415 on: October 05, 2011, 10:12:17 am »

You can designate it as a "pond zone" and the dwarves will form a bucket brigade to fill it up.
Once it has a well over it, will they still be able to fill it with water? Or will I need another access hatch?

EDIT: Okay nevermind, the bucket brigade can't keep up with the speed the water is evaporating. I'm going to try rerouting the river. I hate doing this.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2011, 02:35:34 pm by Chattox »
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #15416 on: October 05, 2011, 05:02:58 pm »

Seeing the size of this thread, i wouldn't be surprised if this has been asked before. But i'm not looking through 1000+ pages, so:

you know all those exotic clothes the caravans bring? Are my dwarves able to wear those? I don't wanna waste my kickass food on them if they're too big for dwarves to wear or something...

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #15417 on: October 05, 2011, 05:16:27 pm »

Seeing the size of this thread, i wouldn't be surprised if this has been asked before. But i'm not looking through 1000+ pages, so:

you know all those exotic clothes the caravans bring? Are my dwarves able to wear those? I don't wanna waste my kickass food on them if they're too big for dwarves to wear or something...
Unless they say "large" or "small" you can wear them. Human clothes will be "large" because they are another size than dwarves, but elves and goblins are of the same size so you should be able to wear their clothes.

Oh, and don't worry about the question having been answered before.

edit: Might've been a bit unclear, look here for clearer explanation.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2011, 05:18:38 pm by scriver »
Love, scriver~

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #15418 on: October 05, 2011, 09:40:40 pm »

Awesome, thanks. For a second there i was worried those headscarves would be completely useless.

I guess i could always melt down those large iron high boots....

Hannibal Barcalounger

• Bay Watcher
  • The Armchair General
    • View Profile
« Reply #15419 on: October 05, 2011, 10:39:10 pm »

Two questions about barracks and one about wounds.

1) Is there any need to provide lots of armor and weapon racks in the barracks so that dwarfs put stuff away neatly when going off-duty? (Right now I have lots of random armor and clothing strewn around the barracks, but I assume the clothing will get put away once I build claim-able bedrooms with cabinets.)

2) Is there any benefit to having a separate barracks for each squad? Right now I have 2 melee-based squads who alternate on the training schedule. They're both set to train and sleep in the same barracks when on-duty. Is this going to cause any problems or limit sparring opportunities?

The military articles on the wiki hint at this, but don't really say.

3) One of my recruits got his foot chopped off by a goblin ambusher. He went to the hospital for diagnosis, got diagnosed with major blood loss, inability to walk, and needs a crutch. But there was no dressing or suturing, and now he's up and running when the squad gets orders (he still shows moderate blood loss in his health screen). Is this guy going to bleed out still, or has his amputation magically healed from 5 minutes in a hospital bed?
Days of frantic effort can save you hours of careful planning.
Pages: 1 ... 1026 1027 [1028] 1029 1030 ... 1178