Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1025 1026 [1027] 1028 1029 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1125341 times)

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #15390 on: October 04, 2011, 09:41:07 am »

so I got my first big siege yesterday which was a bunch of gobblins, jabbers, and a couple trolls.  I caught most of them in traps, but a few were outside my drawbridges.  I proceeded to lower my drawbridges and both ended up breaking.  I though these were dwarven atom smashers and that they were supposed to SMASH?  Why did my drawbridges deconstruct?  I am now trapped into my fort and I"ll have to mine a new exit to get out and finish off these gobblins.  I know i didn't hit the trolls with them.  The only possible creatures I hit were gobblins and/or jabbers.  Any ideas?

Bridges have a weight limit.  They will not work if any single creature of size greater than 1,200,000 is on or under them when they activate.  If you try to raise or retract a bridge with a creature over this limit standing on it, the bridge will simply not respond.  If you try to lower or extend a bridge when a creature over the limit is in the way, the bridge will be destroyed.  Jabberers are over the weight limit, so attempting to smash a jabberer with a bridge will break the bridge.  Goblins and trolls are not over the weight limit, so you can smash them with bridges all you want.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #15391 on: October 04, 2011, 09:47:36 am »

the wiki says that infections can sometimes heal? whu? i thought infections were a dormant death sentence biding their time until you need that dwarf then BAM infection takeover
Iirc, they can heal infections, but it's not likely to happen unless they have a high healing capability/attribute.
Love, scriver~

Grumbledwarfskin

• Bay Watcher
  • stilts don't have skin
    • View Profile
« Reply #15392 on: October 04, 2011, 09:56:50 am »

As for how to check the water...look in your buckets. If your buckets have "water" in them, then you're good. If any of them have "stagnant water" or "water laced with mud" or salt water (not sure what the game calls salt water when it's in a bucket) in them, then one of your water sources is bad.

The only way to be certain about a particular source is to follow a dwarf with an empty bucket on a "give water" job, and see what goes into the bucket when they fill it.

Matoro

• Bay Watcher
  • if you drive alone you drive with hitler
    • View Profile
« Reply #15393 on: October 04, 2011, 10:13:47 am »

One of my miners does not mine. There's plenty of mining desginationed and another miner mines all the time. Miner isn't assinged to any burrow and mining labor (Great Miner) is enabled. He is not in break, he has "no job"-status. I checked his inventory and I saw he has no pick. I checked how many pick I have throught stocks-screen and I have two picks. He's not still getting pick or anything. He refused from all mining after his conversation With liason (He is my expedition leader too). What's going on?

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15394 on: October 04, 2011, 10:36:03 am »

Is there a particular depth where one finds Iron ore? I only ask because I'm starting to wonder if I've somehow managed to worldgen a world without it. I've tunnelled far enough down to reach the first layer of caverns (10-15z), and had some mild !!fun!! in doing so, and the fact that I don't have access to iron and have only limited access to fuel increased said !!fun!! exponentially, so I'm a little wary of tunnelling any deeper if I don't have to.

Also, I checked the wiki, and apparently Bituminous coal isn't found until after the chasm (which I'm apparently yet to discover), but that's for the 0.23a version, and I'm using DF2010. Anyone able to confirm if this is still the case?

The 2d version was very, very different. Every map had everything, and all you had to do to get it was dig deeper into the mountain. In the current version most maps simply do not have most things. My current map, for example, has abundant zinc, lead, and the occasional silver. But no Iron, Copper, Tin, or Coal.

Thus the only metal on-map my weapon and armorsmiths can use is Adamantine, and that's not exactly the kind of thing you can use for 600 BS jobs training up your guy to Legend.

If I were you I'd focus on building a very good squad. Buy weapons and armor. Get them sparring. They'll be more then good enough to deal with goblin ambushers with minimal casualties, and each ambusher has at least a cap. Melt 10 caps and you have a bar of metal. It's called mining goblinite, and it's slow as hell but it works.

Also you don't actually need to breach caverns. In my current fort the only "breach" in the caverns is a water-source for my hospital, and only one Forgotten Beast has managed to use it.

Nick

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15395 on: October 04, 2011, 10:50:16 am »

One of my miners does not mine. There's plenty of mining desginationed and another miner mines all the time. Miner isn't assinged to any burrow and mining labor (Great Miner) is enabled. He is not in break, he has "no job"-status. I checked his inventory and I saw he has no pick. I checked how many pick I have throught stocks-screen and I have two picks. He's not still getting pick or anything. He refused from all mining after his conversation With liason (He is my expedition leader too). What's going on?
Is the picks forbidden or used by other dwarves? Can he reach them? Is he in the military?
Love, scriver~

Matoro

• Bay Watcher
  • if you drive alone you drive with hitler
    • View Profile
« Reply #15396 on: October 04, 2011, 10:56:20 am »

Not military, pick was lying in stockpile. Just moment ago miner got "pickup equipment"-status and grabbed pick and started to dig. I have no idea why he was unable to get pick for some time.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15397 on: October 04, 2011, 11:20:21 am »

Is the miner "occasionally given to procrastination", have "very little self-discipline" or "rarely completes tasks and is often overcome by distractions" ?
Love, scriver~

Wurgel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15398 on: October 04, 2011, 11:40:17 am »

short question aboutpresureplates with water in temperated bioms:

If i build a presureplate (setting to 7/7 Water) in the river, will it toggle/untoggle when the Water Freezes?

Got a nice little natural waterfall on the map. So i wanted to build my dininghall around it. then i got the bad news. ~4 tiles after the waterfall is the biome-boarder. the lower part of the river freezes around 1 week before the upper part with the waterfall. This would flood my dining-room every year. So i wanted an automatical device that blocks the waterfall (brigde in the river) when the lower part freezes.

The overseer, that wants a waterfall for his cutebolds.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #15399 on: October 04, 2011, 11:42:34 am »

I suspect that when the water freezes, the pressure plate will be destroyed.  I haven't tried it with a pressure plate, but other buildings which are partially or totally immersed in water when it freezes (such as wells) get deconstructed.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15400 on: October 04, 2011, 12:59:38 pm »

I just decided to make a stockpile for all my artifacts, I have it set to take items from other stockpiles, and it worked for about 4 artifacts (mostly furniture). Is there something that blocks this functionality (like bins maybe?). What's the best way to tackle this problem?

Wurgel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15401 on: October 04, 2011, 02:00:11 pm »

if bins are a problem, set the amount of bins in the stockpile to zero?

You can set the amount of bins/barrels that shall be used in it

Zeebie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15402 on: October 04, 2011, 02:35:57 pm »

How can I make a stockpile for adamantine strands?

Flare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15403 on: October 04, 2011, 02:56:52 pm »

He's a miner, check to see where he is, and if you order him to mine himself into a hole or some other trap. Conversely, check if your other miner has mined himself into isolation. IE. no other dwarves can reach him.

Are traction benches the only way to fix compound or complex fractures, or can splints do so as well?

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15404 on: October 04, 2011, 03:12:37 pm »

if bins are a problem, set the amount of bins in the stockpile to zero?

You can set the amount of bins/barrels that shall be used in it

Thanks. Bins in the stockpile aren't a problem though. My problem is that my artifacts aren't being hauled to the new stockpile. I mentioned bins because I thought the problem might be that some of the artifacts are currently stored in bins in other stockpiles.
Pages: 1 ... 1025 1026 [1027] 1028 1029 ... 1178