Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1022 1023 [1024] 1025 1026 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1125289 times)

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #15345 on: October 02, 2011, 02:30:55 am »

I couldn't figure out what exactly you're trying to do based on the diagram, but if your well is below the z level of the source of the water, you can always opt for depressurizing.
afaik the falling water wouuld eventually rise up and start pressurizing again, until it fills up and everything on the same z level as the brook floods.

To depressurize water I usually let it flow through a diagonal tile. If you're doing something that requires a bit more ingenuity you could also install a pump and maintain a specifically required pressure by placing the pump on the desired z level.

Hope it helps.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #15346 on: October 02, 2011, 04:40:21 am »

To clarify, I was asking if falling water from a brook (which is the same level as my well) and becoming a waterfall pressurize itself to the same level as its source even when disconnected from it?

xelo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15347 on: October 02, 2011, 06:39:29 am »

I can't understand your diagram, too.
To clarify, I was asking if falling water from a brook (which is the same level as my well) and becoming a waterfall pressurize itself to the same level as its source even when disconnected from it?
How can water flow from the brook to your well if the path of water is disconnected?
Please use Code-Tags for ascii illustrations relating DF

#....#
###### Bad
Code: [Select]
#....#
###### Good

Victuz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15348 on: October 02, 2011, 06:48:36 am »

I've played the game for a long time but there is one thing I massively suck at. Finding good embarks on the world map.

I've genned a world with a big amount of volcanoes (39 and one ocean) and I can't find them for shit. Any suggestions as to how I may find a volcano on the world map without going through every single damn square? :p
I once flung a migrant off a bridge. He collided with the brook cliff and died.
A year later, my legendary engraver engraved him colliding with an obstacle and dying.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #15349 on: October 02, 2011, 07:18:49 am »

I've played the game for a long time but there is one thing I massively suck at. Finding good embarks on the world map.

I've genned a world with a big amount of volcanoes (39 and one ocean) and I can't find them for shit. Any suggestions as to how I may find a volcano on the world map without going through every single damn square? :p
Have you tried using the in-game search engine?
Otherwise, iirc there are some kind of utilities for that purpose, but I have never used them so I don't know what they're called, or even say for sure that they exist.
Love, scriver~

Victuz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15350 on: October 02, 2011, 07:21:28 am »

Have you tried using the in-game search engine?
Otherwise, iirc there are some kind of utilities for that purpose, but I have never used them so I don't know what they're called, or even say for sure that they exist.

Well I WOULD try using the in game search engine but it doesn't have the proper option. Temperature and altitude are the only ones that could possibly matter and in fact they don't anything else has nothing to do with it. Unless I could specifically search for volcanoes I wouldn't be asking :).

I remember that the older versions of DF had a much more robust search engine but sadly that is not the case now.
A year later, my legendary engraver engraved him colliding with an obstacle and dying.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15351 on: October 02, 2011, 07:24:48 am »

How can water flow from the brook to your well if the path of water is disconnected?
Ok, I realize my diagram is broken. The well spans z-levels right? Lets just ignore my diagram and say that water flows OFF the edge of the brook and becomes a waterfall falling into a brook below, continuing it. I plan to bar it halfway and redirect the flow of the falling water. My question was that will the water pressurize and go up out of the well into my fortress as the source (first brook) is at the same z-level?

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15352 on: October 02, 2011, 07:29:05 am »

Well I WOULD try using the in game search engine but it doesn't have the proper option. Temperature and altitude are the only ones that could possibly matter and in fact they don't anything else has nothing to do with it. Unless I could specifically search for volcanoes I wouldn't be asking :).

I remember that the older versions of DF had a much more robust search engine but sadly that is not the case now.
It doesn't have an option for volcanos any more? Huh. I haven't noticed. *goes of to check*
Love, scriver~

Victuz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15353 on: October 02, 2011, 07:43:26 am »

It doesn't have an option for volcanos any more? Huh. I haven't noticed. *goes of to check*

Nope unless I have some weird space man version of DF than there is no option to search for any specific geographic feature other than river/brook and specific height. Flux Stone search also seems to be broken since 3 times out of 5 I seem to get an area without flux despite clearly stating that I want one with it :P.

Anyway here is how the search screen looks for me:
Spoiler: search (click to show/hide)

EDIT:
Ok, I realize my diagram is broken. The well spans z-levels right? Lets just ignore my diagram and say that water flows OFF the edge of the brook and becomes a waterfall falling into a brook below, continuing it. I plan to bar it halfway and redirect the flow of the falling water. My question was that will the water pressurize and go up out of the well into my fortress as the source (first brook) is at the same z-level?

If the source of the water is at the same level as the well (the construction itself) than yes it will flood your fortress through it. Best way to get around this is placing a hatch in the place of a future well filling it up, than locking the water flow, removing the hatch and placing the well.

At least that is if I understood your question correctly.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2011, 07:46:51 am by Victuz »

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15354 on: October 02, 2011, 07:49:02 am »

Yup. I just haven't been using it to search for volcano ;)

Anyway, I'm pretty sure it counts deep marble layers in the ground when searching for flux, but I don't think they show up as "flux stone" on the embark screen. That has been my experience, at least.
Love, scriver~

Victuz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15355 on: October 02, 2011, 08:02:44 am »

Anyway, I'm pretty sure it counts deep marble layers in the ground when searching for flux, but I don't think they show up as "flux stone" on the embark screen. That has been my experience, at least.

I was quite sure that's it but DFprospector suggests otherwise. Maybe I'm just ridiculously unlucky :P.

Anyway if somebody has a suggestion as to how I can effectively search for volcano's, maybe a mod or utility that enhances the search option. Something to help my lazy soul.

Grumbledwarfskin

• Bay Watcher
  • stilts don't have skin
    • View Profile
« Reply #15356 on: October 02, 2011, 09:26:57 am »

I'm not quite following what you're saying...but there might be a way to do what you want. In order to have water flowing in, you must also have water flowing out, or you'll flood, obviously. You can use depressurization to stop the flow, if you connect the river directly to your cistern, without a waterfall, but with a continuously flowing waterfall, you must always have a drain.

If your cistern has a path to the edge of the map, and you make that path wider than your inlet (plus some extra if you're running through fortifications on the bottom but not on the top), it will be possible to have a waterfall fill your cistern without flooding your base. It'd be something like this, viewed from the side:

+ is a wall
blue stuff is water
_ is floor
W is a well

++++++++++~77777
++++++++++~+++++
++++++++++~+++++
++++++++++~+++++
__________W____+
333333333333333+
++++++777777777+
++++++777777777+
++++++++++++++++

Note that you get something like 3s in the drain channel because you have a much wider drain channel than your inlet channel, with lots of fortifications at the edge of the map to let the water flow out, so you have more outflow capacity than water flowing in.

If you were planning to use a brook at a lower level as the drain, instead of fortifications off the edge of the map, I'm not sure whether it'd work or not.

Can someone confirm that this waterfall design would work? Or does it need any improvements for drainage or mist generation? I haven't built one myself, so while I know the cistern wouldn't flood, I'm not sure whether water would land outside the well and flood the fortress that way if some floor gratings aren't built near the well for additional drainage, whether a waterfall directly into a well is a good idea or not in the first place, and whether mist will be generated by this design or not.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15357 on: October 02, 2011, 09:31:42 am »

If you are trying to feed an underground cistern, accessible through a well, from an infinite water source, then you will need to have a diagonal "pressure-break" somewhere in the water's path on the level that feeds into the cistern.

Code: [Select]
############
#<..########  Water flows down the stairwell.
####.#######  At this diagonal corner it loses pressure.
####.#######
#..........#  The cistern will be full of water which will
#..........#  not rise upward, due to the lack of pressure.
#..........#

If you want a multi-Z-level cistern, then the rest of the cistern should be below the level shown.  The well should be above this level.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2011, 09:35:30 am by greycat »
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15358 on: October 02, 2011, 10:21:37 am »

Thanks for all the info  :D

Now I'm busy diverting the main waterstream falling from the waterfall into the cistern. Working perfectly, water falling from a brook into a built in catchway cutting the waterfall in half really changes the physics on pressure and flow. Thanks all for that!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15359 on: October 02, 2011, 11:04:09 am »

Do drawbridges have a max weight they can life? I have a kill room set up where I pull out the bridge, sending formerly caged creatures down into a pit so my marksdwarves can practice on live targets. Unfortunately the bridge seems to have quit working, but it has several elk birds and draltha standing on it.
Pages: 1 ... 1022 1023 [1024] 1025 1026 ... 1178