Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1021 1022 [1023] 1024 1025 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1125393 times)

Table Turning

• Bay Watcher
  • Turnways.
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #15330 on: October 01, 2011, 07:28:09 am »

Yeah, I have a burrow covering the inside of my fort for evacuations.  I'll try disabling it.

EDIT:  It worked!  But...now my carpenter is suffering from "The surface logs are TOTALLY closer than the ones hauled inside" syndrome again.
Thats another use for useless immigrants.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #15331 on: October 01, 2011, 07:38:29 am »

Maybe make a special burrow just for the carpenter? Or just burrow up the whole place again then deburrow when it bugs out on you next time. It's like a tedious, never ending dance.
Love, scriver~

Grumbledwarfskin

• Bay Watcher
  • stilts don't have skin
    • View Profile
« Reply #15332 on: October 01, 2011, 07:57:27 am »

Here's how that burrow feature (not actually a bug...though there are some annoyingly missing features involved) works:

When a burrow is created around a workshop, that workshop is "assigned to" that burrow. Workers using that workshop can't grab any item that isn't inside that burrow and use it at that workshop. For smelters, that means you have to have your charcoal/coke, ore, and flux (if needed) inside that burrow, or the jobs can't be created.

Using this burrow feature is the best way to solve your carpenter issue: create a burrow that includes the logs you want him to use and his workshop, but not any of the surface logs. That way, you don't have to force your woodworker to eat, sleep, etc. in his burrow, but you get the same benefit with respect to log choice.

The missing features are that you can't see what burrow your workshop is assigned to anywhere, there's absolutely no way to unassign it from all burrows, or switch which burrow it's assigned to explicitly (though you can re-define the burrow you want it assigned to to re-assign it to that burrow).

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #15333 on: October 01, 2011, 08:02:26 am »

When a burrow is created around a workshop, that workshop is "assigned to" that burrow. Workers using that workshop can't grab any item that isn't inside that burrow and use it at that workshop. For smelters, that means you have to have your charcoal/coke, ore, and flux (if needed) inside that burrow, or the jobs can't be created.

Wherever did you get this idea?  I have never seen anything to indicate this is the case, and the burrows in my fortress don't behave like this at all.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #15334 on: October 01, 2011, 08:24:20 am »

Yeah, and the bug is that the game/smelter doesn't recognise any smelter-able objects even if they're within the same burrow as the workshop itself.
Love, scriver~

Grumbledwarfskin

• Bay Watcher
  • stilts don't have skin
    • View Profile
« Reply #15335 on: October 01, 2011, 10:22:07 am »

Wherever did you get this idea?  I have never seen anything to indicate this is the case, and the burrows in my fortress don't behave like this at all.

Sorry, it's a case of too much reading, not enough !!science!!. The bug tracker thread on the issue has a post which describes it as working that way, which my brain apparently squirreled away the way it should work as the way it actually works.

It'd be awesome if it did work that way, but looking at the thread again, I see that the burrow restriction only applies to "reactions", which if I understand it means the second, third, etc. materials gathered...so you have to have all the materials in the burrow for smelting jobs, but it won't actually help with single material jobs, which is where it would actually work as a feature.

Sorry again for the confusion.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #15336 on: October 01, 2011, 10:33:19 am »

Thanks Sphalerite and others who answered my Q's

Now...Can one equip both helm and cap? My military seems bugged that they only equip one of the other, the other thing on the head is a hood. How do I remove the hood?

Dwarves can indeed wear a cap, helm, and hood at the same time. Technically, they can wear one helm, 2 caps, and 6 hoods.

I'm going to go out on a limb and assume you're using the default uniforms- the defaults only assign a generic "Headgear" item which can be satisfied by both the cap and helm (though they should prefer the helms.)

Go to your 'm'ilitary screen, then 'n' for Uniforms. 'c' allows you to add a new uniform (although you can also alter your existing uniform.) There are options for each piece of armor- to stay on the topic of headgear, 'H' gives you the options in that regard. If you add a helm, cap, and hood, your dwarves should wear one of each item. You can further specify the materials for assigned items to make them wear, say, metal helms and leather caps. Repeat this across all the categories to custom make a full uniform.

Here is a pre-minmaxed armor list- you can make it less ridiculous be removing duplicate layers. The rest of that article goes into depth on how armor layering really works so you can do it yourself, if you like.

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15337 on: October 01, 2011, 10:51:58 am »

Hai

I didn't find any info on the wiki, and I'm not sure where to look in the raws so I'll ask here:
What's the material value of wax? I need to know if something meaningful can be made out of the stuff or if I should just throw it in the magmasea.

Also (didn't look up yet) is there a sweet spot in ratio for hives left to grow to hives for harvesting?

Something unrelated, I linked a door to a lever and deconstructed the lever, when I hover over the door it states it is level controlled so I can't say forbid passage or open passage.

And lastly something I can very much find on the wiki but it's not very clear/does not seem t be true in my game. Does a giant cave spider need to be able to path to the target to shoot webs at it? Because the door is clearly closed yet the spider is going at it like a madman. May have something to do with the door I can't control.

Fredd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15338 on: October 01, 2011, 10:52:19 am »

confusion usually insues with civvy/uniform conflict. To stop it just use the uniform replace clothing option
Should you fail to comply, strict !!disciplinary actions!! will be taken. Also, we feel we should remind you that one of the "criminals" on your list is the chief medical dwarf. If he ends up too badly injured to do his job, you will be fired. Out of a magma cannon.
Sincerely,
The Administration

Fredd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15339 on: October 01, 2011, 10:57:19 am »

the door still has a mechanism in it. When a door it linked to a lever it remains closed until lever is pulled. So when you deconstructed the lever the door remains shut. If you forbid passage(lock the door) the spider should quit webbing.
Should you fail to comply, strict !!disciplinary actions!! will be taken. Also, we feel we should remind you that one of the "criminals" on your list is the chief medical dwarf. If he ends up too badly injured to do his job, you will be fired. Out of a magma cannon.
Sincerely,
The Administration

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15340 on: October 01, 2011, 05:57:57 pm »

Something unrelated, I linked a door to a lever and deconstructed the lever, when I hover over the door it states it is level controlled so I can't say forbid passage or open passage.
Yep.  Once a door has been linked to a lever, it will always be lever-controlled, even if you deconstruct the lever.  To get it to act as a normal door again, you need to deconstruct the door and then rebuild it.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Table Turning

• Bay Watcher
  • Turnways.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15341 on: October 01, 2011, 08:15:42 pm »

Alright, I really needed to get a military up quick, so I started with a danger room.

I used a really good design, one where an armor stand behind a forbidden, internal door tricks dorfs to stand on the tile and train while they also get on the danger spikes.

Suddenly, the SORDdorf got hit in the head with one of the training spears and it jammed his skull through his brain.

Did I just get extremely unlucky or is it that I didn't have him wear a helmet to the danger room?
Thats another use for useless immigrants.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15342 on: October 01, 2011, 08:16:58 pm »

Danger rooms can be deadly to unarmored dwarves.  Always have your dwarves in full armor before putting them in a danger room.  A helmet at the very least.

CapnUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Sure, it's safe to drink!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15343 on: October 01, 2011, 09:47:38 pm »

Considering that skulls in DF are made of styrofoam? Helms are always a good idea. Hell, you might want to assign all your dwarves a helm just for the hell of it.
"My doctor says I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber [...] and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #15344 on: October 01, 2011, 10:09:11 pm »

Question:  EDITED.
Suppose I would want a well underground but linked to a flowing local brook. Knowing the effects of pressure and how it rises to the original level, I'm curious that I might flood my own fort this way, the good thing is that the brook becomes a natural waterfall spanning 6 z-levels.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

So my question is this, will the water be able to make a small cistern at the bottom of the well (pictured above) and not flood the fortress as the fortress is the same z-level as the brook? I am not sure if falling water is pressurized.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2011, 11:45:20 pm by Tiruin »
Pages: 1 ... 1021 1022 [1023] 1024 1025 ... 1178