Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1019 1020 [1021] 1022 1023 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1125459 times)

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #15300 on: September 29, 2011, 08:16:54 pm »

Yeah, DF's rabbits are one-tenth the size of DF's cats (adult size 5000), which is actually really tiny for rabbits (or huge for cats).  They should really be larger.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Xen0n

• Bay Watcher
  • Took joy in ‼SCIENCE‼ lately.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15301 on: September 29, 2011, 08:59:19 pm »

Is there any tool that counts the number and type of animals in my possession in fort mode?
I know I have a lot of cats but HOW much is the real question.

From normal play. 'z' should bring up the stocks screen, and pressing Enter should open the first tab, "Animals."  From here you can set animals to be butchered, or whether a non-cat animal is available for adoption.

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15302 on: September 29, 2011, 09:47:43 pm »

Is there any way to give my footless dwarves crutches? I have a few one footed dwarves but crutches doesn't seem to be part of their treatment so they are permanently unable to walk.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #15303 on: September 29, 2011, 10:12:19 pm »

Is there any way to give my footless dwarves crutches? I have a few one footed dwarves but crutches doesn't seem to be part of their treatment so they are permanently unable to walk.

You can try re-injuring them to force another diagnosis.

Also, are they still in the hospital, or crawling around?

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15304 on: September 29, 2011, 10:28:54 pm »

You can try re-injuring them to force another diagnosis.

Also, are they still in the hospital, or crawling around?

They are crawling around. My fort is filling up with crippled ex-military dwarves.

Grumbledwarfskin

• Bay Watcher
  • stilts don't have skin
    • View Profile
« Reply #15305 on: September 29, 2011, 11:26:14 pm »

If they have grasp issues on the same hand as the leg that's injured, they can't be helped by a crutch, because they can't wield one.

If that's not the issue, since they're moving around, one way to get them to the hospital would be a controlled cave-in: build a small floor that can be collapsed by a support linked to a lever, with a drop of 1 z-level. Put them in a military squad and order them onto that floor. Make sure nobody's going to be under the floor when the lever is pulled, as being caught under a cave-in is guaranteed death. Drop the floor, the one level fall will temporarily stun them, which usually generates a "bring patient to hospital" job, even though the dwarf is only stunned for a moment.

Hopefully, that will get them to the hospital without any real injuries taking place, making it at least likely that they'll see a doctor and receive a crutch if they're able to use one.

I've got a question myself: is there any way to tell whether a one-tile drawbridge is open or closed? I built one and linked it to a lever, but it looks the same when I pull the lever to seal it, so I'm not sure whether it's working or not.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #15306 on: September 30, 2011, 12:35:14 am »

The only way that I know of is to look at the lever itself. If the lever is to the right then it means that the bridge should be up and if it is flipped to the left then it means that the bridge should be down. This only applies to the last command sent by the lever though, so if you have multiple levers or other things that would mess up the bridge's connection to the lever's state then I don't know of any way to check other then possibly asking a dwarf to walk over it.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Victuz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15307 on: September 30, 2011, 08:09:59 am »

Is there any tool that counts the number and type of animals in my possession in fort mode?
I know I have a lot of cats but HOW much is the real question.

From normal play. 'z' should bring up the stocks screen, and pressing Enter should open the first tab, "Animals."  From here you can set animals to be butchered, or whether a non-cat animal is available for adoption.

I know that. But it doesn't give a summary of the number of specific species and the only order it goes by is "butcherable animals -> Work animals". that's not what I'm looking for.
I just have a big amount of cows and such and going through the list manually is tiresome and annoying.
I once flung a migrant off a bridge. He collided with the brook cliff and died.
A year later, my legendary engraver engraved him colliding with an obstacle and dying.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15308 on: September 30, 2011, 12:53:31 pm »

going through the list manually is tiresome and annoying.

That's 90% of the Dwarf Fortress user interface.  Windows users have the option of running add-on programs like Dwarf Therapist that give a more sophisticated UI, but we Linux users don't even have that.

Right now, Toady's development priorities are adding new content and fixing critical bugs.  Every once in a while he does a set of less-than-critical bug fix releases, usually followed by a huge new-feature release which introduces all new bugs, etc.  There has been, historically, very little focus on user interface issues.  This is not a criticism of Toady; he's just one guy, and he can only work 168 hours a week, so he has to set his priorities.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Victuz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15309 on: September 30, 2011, 01:38:49 pm »

going through the list manually is tiresome and annoying.

That's 90% of the Dwarf Fortress user interface.  Windows users have the option of running add-on programs like Dwarf Therapist that give a more sophisticated UI, but we Linux users don't even have that.

Right now, Toady's development priorities are adding new content and fixing critical bugs.  Every once in a while he does a set of less-than-critical bug fix releases, usually followed by a huge new-feature release which introduces all new bugs, etc.  There has been, historically, very little focus on user interface issues.  This is not a criticism of Toady; he's just one guy, and he can only work 168 hours a week, so he has to set his priorities.

Again I know that ;). I've been playing DF for quite some time. What I'm asking is if one of the users made a side application like dwarf therapist that helps manage animals.
A year later, my legendary engraver engraved him colliding with an obstacle and dying.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #15310 on: September 30, 2011, 04:40:35 pm »

Just wanted to point out that currently there are Linux and Mac versions of Dwarf Therapist in existence. (I'm not to sure of the Linux program's stability, but I know that the Mac version works without any serious bugs at least.)
« Last Edit: September 30, 2011, 06:29:14 pm by i2amroy »
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

xelo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15311 on: September 30, 2011, 05:12:52 pm »

Why are my soldiers hungry and thirsty but are equipped with a backpack (content: fisher berry stew) and waterskin (content: strawberry wine)?
Neither while on station nor after I cancelled the station order they will eat/drink from their equipment. Now they are going to the next food stockpile.

This is really frustrating, because I need them back on station in a short while.
Any idea what I could have made wrong?

Thirsty and hungry greetings

xelo
Please use Code-Tags for ascii illustrations relating DF

#....#
###### Bad
Code: [Select]
#....#
###### Good

Victuz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15312 on: September 30, 2011, 05:49:36 pm »

Why are my soldiers hungry and thirsty but are equipped with a backpack (content: fisher berry stew) and waterskin (content: strawberry wine)?
Neither while on station nor after I cancelled the station order they will eat/drink from their equipment. Now they are going to the next food stockpile.

This is really frustrating, because I need them back on station in a short while.
Any idea what I could have made wrong?

Thirsty and hungry greetings

xelo

I usually don't bother with them having backpacks and waterskins. But in my case they eat/drink only when they are on the brink of getting to the starving/dehydrated level of need.
Other than that it's easier to just build a food stockpile where you need them to be. They will get the boost from alcohol and that usually means they can keep post for ever and ever and ever.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #15313 on: September 30, 2011, 06:28:51 pm »

Iirc, backpack and waterskins doesn't effect when the dwarf eats them. He'll still stay on duty for as long as he would without them. The only thing they do is have the dwarf not need to run back into the larder when they finally realise they're hungry/starving or thirsty/dehydrated.
Love, scriver~

Prixel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15314 on: September 30, 2011, 06:52:37 pm »

Quick question, long explanation ;
FOOD.
I love the DF food mechanics, just because of the wide variety of them.
However, I have never had a fort last longer than two years because of either...
A ; I run out of food/booze/pots
B ; The pain of constantly micro-managing in 10's drives me crazy

-any tips on this?
Pages: 1 ... 1019 1020 [1021] 1022 1023 ... 1178