Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1015 1016 [1017] 1018 1019 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1125613 times)

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #15240 on: September 24, 2011, 09:42:25 pm »

I also go with 50.  Works great, not too fast, not too slow, and it takes longer for you to notice a drop in FPS.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15241 on: September 24, 2011, 09:56:01 pm »

I ended up going with about 70. That gives me freedom to micromanage while unpaused while still being a little brisk.

San-A

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15242 on: September 25, 2011, 04:48:21 am »

I might be experiencing a bug: my miners refuse to mine. According to the Therapist they are not doing anything though there are lot of tiles I have set to be channelled  :'(
Well I a really stuck now. I have tried to d-x all the tiles that were d-d-ed or d-h-ed, then disable an re-enable miner jobs, but they still refuse to mine. Is it a known bug? Shame that I was is the middle of a mega project :(

San-A

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15243 on: September 25, 2011, 05:03:22 am »

What is a good number to set my max FPS to for a slow, enjoyable fort? I'm thinking 10 but I dunno. Fort Mode runs WAY too fast at the start on this new comp.

EDIT: No that would be too slow. Imma try 50.
I am 40-45 with 150 dwarfs... a bit too slow  :(
I should install it on the super calculator at work and play via dfterm  8)

jhxmt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15244 on: September 25, 2011, 05:41:38 am »

I might be experiencing a bug: my miners refuse to mine. According to the Therapist they are not doing anything though there are lot of tiles I have set to be channelled  :'(
Well I a really stuck now. I have tried to d-x all the tiles that were d-d-ed or d-h-ed, then disable an re-enable miner jobs, but they still refuse to mine. Is it a known bug? Shame that I was is the middle of a mega project :(

1) Do you have any burrows set up?
2) Do you have any alerts active in your military screen?
3) Do all your miners have picks?
4) Are your miners in your military?
Quote from: beefsupreme
Try slaughtering a ton of animals, meat makes less decisions than animals.

Why Your Ramps Don't Work
How To Breach A Volcano Safely

San-A

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15245 on: September 25, 2011, 06:11:13 am »

1) Do you have any burrows set up?
2) Do you have any alerts active in your military screen?
3) Do all your miners have picks?
4) Are your miners in your military?
1) Yes but de-activated
2) No, see 1)
3) Yes
4) No

It just happened like that, instentaneously, like a strike

Edit - I am happy to upload my save somewhere so anyone can investigate this bug

Edit 2 - Ma appologies, I do have alerts on  :-[ I am really sorry!
« Last Edit: September 25, 2011, 08:08:55 am by San-A »

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15246 on: September 25, 2011, 08:24:27 am »

Both my hunters and military make xp killing wild cavies on my map, but my butchers aren't touching them... what am I doing wrong? The beasts are unmodded.
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #15247 on: September 25, 2011, 08:50:53 am »

Both my hunters and military make xp killing wild cavies on my map, but my butchers aren't touching them... what am I doing wrong? The beasts are unmodded.

Cavies are too small to give any meat or bones when butchered, so your butcher won't bother with them.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15248 on: September 25, 2011, 09:43:17 am »

Cavies are too small to give any meat or bones when butchered, so your butcher won't bother with them.

How else do I get their skull?
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #15249 on: September 25, 2011, 09:45:38 am »

How else do I get their skull?

You can only get skulls from tame cavies.  Cavies are so small they only give a skull when butchered.  A butcher won't touch a corpse that only gives a skull.  If you order a tame creature to be butchered it will get butchered even if it's too small to yield anything, so you'll get a skull from tame cavies.  If you want a skull from a wild cavy, you need to capture and tame it first.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

CapnUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Sure, it's safe to drink!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15250 on: September 25, 2011, 01:16:42 pm »

While building a repeater for a water-clock, my mechanics have been complaining that they cannot reach the pressure plates to link them up. There's nothing stopping them, the only problem I could see them having is that there's only a diagonal path between a pump and a wall to the plate. It's strange, though, because for six plates with the same configuration, three have been successfully linked, while three get refusals.

[EDIT]: Upon a repeat inspection, it's the gears they're trying to hook up, not the plates, that they're complaining about. They still have a route to the gears, but there's no orthogonal space (intentionally!). Is this the problem?
« Last Edit: September 25, 2011, 01:23:49 pm by CapnUrist »
"My doctor says I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber [...] and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."

Zeebie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15251 on: September 25, 2011, 02:18:09 pm »

if items have been traded for at the depot, but there is no stockpile to which to move them, what happens?

Qirex

• Bay Watcher
  • Cancels Post: Interrupted by Beak wolf Predator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15252 on: September 25, 2011, 02:27:37 pm »

They just lie there until something (most likely either hoary marmots, bonobos, kobold or goblin thieves) comes to deal with them. I've lost several thousand dwarfbucks in trap components due to not having the correct stockpile for them. (Speaking of which, if anyone knows, that would be useful.)
I live in Nigeria. I am not a prince, and I do not need your bank account information to access my fortune. Anyone caught implying otherwise will be !!reprimanded!! .

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #15253 on: September 25, 2011, 04:05:59 pm »

Trap components are stored in the weapons stockpile I believe.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Zona

• Bay Watcher
  • SEE YOU SOON
    • View Profile
« Reply #15254 on: September 25, 2011, 04:50:41 pm »

Why is my Announcements page not saveing announcements for any length of time? As soon as there gone from the main screen there gone from there. Combat reports too.

Are you scrolling up in the Announcements window?  There are several pages of announcements, and they can move up pretty quickly if you're getting a lot of them close together.

Theres only one page...

I've been noticing that recently as well, that announcements don't really stick around very long in-game. I think it may just be that there's a cut-off based on in-game time, and it doesn't bother showing them after that point.

If there's something you need to find, every announcement and combat report that occurs is saved in your Dwarf Fortress folder, in a file called gamelog.txt but be warned; every announcement and report means every one from every fort you've played since you last installed the game, newest additions at the bottom. It will probably take some time to load it all.

The thing is the announcements arent sticking around in the log at all. By the time the announcement dissapears off the main screen the log will be empty.
Those lucky dwarves, despite the risk of being stabbed, shots, poisoned, eaten, mauled, enslaved, eviscerated or involved in accidents... at least they don’t have to worry about immediate dangers like the heat death of the universe.
Pages: 1 ... 1015 1016 [1017] 1018 1019 ... 1178