Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1014 1015 [1016] 1017 1018 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1125609 times)

CapnUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Sure, it's safe to drink!
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #15225 on: September 24, 2011, 03:09:31 am »

Why is my Announcements page not saveing announcements for any length of time? As soon as there gone from the main screen there gone from there. Combat reports too.

Are you scrolling up in the Announcements window?  There are several pages of announcements, and they can move up pretty quickly if you're getting a lot of them close together.

Theres only one page...

I've been noticing that recently as well, that announcements don't really stick around very long in-game. I think it may just be that there's a cut-off based on in-game time, and it doesn't bother showing them after that point.

If there's something you need to find, every announcement and combat report that occurs is saved in your Dwarf Fortress folder, in a file called gamelog.txt but be warned; every announcement and report means every one from every fort you've played since you last installed the game, newest additions at the bottom. It will probably take some time to load it all.
"My doctor says I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber [...] and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."

Table Turning

• Bay Watcher
  • Turnways.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15226 on: September 24, 2011, 09:54:02 am »

Will the FIRST dwarven caravan bring logs of any kind, and will the elves and humans bring any?

I just realized I didn't embark with enough logs on a desert.
Thats another use for useless immigrants.

Samuel

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McBateman cancels Attend Meeting: Too Insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #15228 on: September 24, 2011, 11:06:41 am »

I can't find any reference to the infamous "area inaccessable" bug with soap on the magmawiki. Has it been fixed? Can I stock my hospital with soap without being spammed to death by notifactions?

rhesusmacabre

• Bay Watcher
  • UNDEAD-CANNOT BE ATTACKED
    • View Profile
« Reply #15229 on: September 24, 2011, 11:40:40 am »

Yes, the dwarves will now stock your hospital with soap exclusively for medical use, and use any excess soap for bathing.

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15230 on: September 24, 2011, 12:16:44 pm »

Yes, the dwarves will now stock your hospital with soap exclusively for medical use, and use any excess soap for bathing.

Actually, that appears to be a bit buggy- after the initial rush, they don't bring any more stuff into the hospital. Should I build more chests there, or it's something else I'm doing wrong?
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

mattyb3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15231 on: September 24, 2011, 12:31:21 pm »

What should i do with a captured dragon that has tasted blood? As far as i am aware, because it has killed dwarves before being captured, it will continue to kill then when tame/a warbeast?

I supose if a dwarf is unhappy or hurt they might have a miscarriage. Perhaps we could experiment a bit.

Samuel

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McBateman cancels Attend Meeting: Too Insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #15232 on: September 24, 2011, 12:38:28 pm »

What should i do with a captured dragon that has tasted blood? As far as i am aware, because it has killed dwarves before being captured, it will continue to kill then when tame/a warbeast?
You could always keep it in a cage just outside your fortress entrance. Hook up the cage to a lever inside the fortress, then when goblins or elves come along, seal your doors and throw the switch.

Table Turning

• Bay Watcher
  • Turnways.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15233 on: September 24, 2011, 12:59:06 pm »

Will my dwarves get the nasty desert scorpion syndrome from chomping on some giant scorpion parts?  I was lucky enough to kill a few.

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15234 on: September 24, 2011, 01:08:12 pm »

Will my dwarves get the nasty desert scorpion syndrome from chomping on some giant scorpion parts?  I was lucky enough to kill a few.

I don't really know, but Helmet Snake venom is only causing syndromes if injected to the blood, so I guess GDS (and GCS) are also safely edible.
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #15235 on: September 24, 2011, 02:15:57 pm »

There are no ingested poisons in DF at the moment. You can safely eat roasts out of forgotten beasts with poisonous blood, provided you can get the materials to the kitchen without killing your cook.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Table Turning

• Bay Watcher
  • Turnways.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15236 on: September 24, 2011, 02:45:53 pm »

Oh, cool.

Another question, how many z-levels can miasma move upwards?  Trying to create a clever trash chute.

San-A

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15237 on: September 24, 2011, 03:42:52 pm »

I might be experiencing a bug: my miners refuse to mine. According to the Therapist they are not doing anything though there are lot of tiles I have set to be channelled  :'(

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15238 on: September 24, 2011, 03:54:08 pm »

Another question, how many z-levels can miasma move upwards?  Trying to create a clever trash chute.

As far as it can go horizontally.  Which is a lot.  Enough to make that really impractical.  If I had to hazard a guess I would say between 10 and 20 z-levels.   But with a shaft that deep it might as well dump directly into the magma.

If you can make the trash chute outside however it will not generate any miasma.  All you need to do is dig a shaft from the surface, down into the top of the chute and then floor over the top.  Because the bottom of the chute has no natural ground anywhere above it it counts as aboveground for miasma generation.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15239 on: September 24, 2011, 09:29:27 pm »

What is a good number to set my max FPS to for a slow, enjoyable fort? I'm thinking 10 but I dunno. Fort Mode runs WAY too fast at the start on this new comp.

EDIT: No that would be too slow. Imma try 50.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2011, 09:37:04 pm by freeformschooler »
Pages: 1 ... 1014 1015 [1016] 1017 1018 ... 1178