Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1013 1014 [1015] 1016 1017 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1125581 times)

Zeebie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #15210 on: September 23, 2011, 01:17:53 pm »

How can I tell if a weapon trap has become jammed?

ZeroSumHappiness

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15211 on: September 23, 2011, 01:26:31 pm »

How do I block off a staircase? My stairs hit the very top of a cavern ceiling and I want to keep flying things out.
Hatches, when locked, are impervious from beneath.

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15212 on: September 23, 2011, 03:34:14 pm »

How do the ethics of butchering work? I've added [CAN_LEARN] (along with [PET], [TRAINABLE] and occasionally [COMMON_DOMESTICATE] to quite a lot of animals and my dwarves had no problem slaughtering and butchering them, if they were tame. Now I had my military kill some of those animals and the butchers don't consider the corpses kosher... if it's [CAN_LEARN], goblin players might have similar issues with tame/wild Trolls. If not... I'm open to suggestions, what could I do to rectify the issue without starting a new fort?

EDIT: I installed the termiteman pack but chose to play a dorf civilisation. Traders seemed to be a bit buggy, sometimes bringing only food, but dozens of pages of it, and so far only the elves, humans and kobolds graced my fort with their presence, no gobbo or termite showed up yet as of 3rd year.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2011, 03:38:50 pm by Tirion »
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

Zona

• Bay Watcher
  • SEE YOU SOON
    • View Profile
« Reply #15213 on: September 23, 2011, 03:59:13 pm »

Why is my Announcements page not saveing announcements for any length of time? As soon as there gone from the main screen there gone from there. Combat reports too.
Those lucky dwarves, despite the risk of being stabbed, shots, poisoned, eaten, mauled, enslaved, eviscerated or involved in accidents... at least they don’t have to worry about immediate dangers like the heat death of the universe.

kardwill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15214 on: September 23, 2011, 04:20:57 pm »

How do the ethics of butchering work? I've added [CAN_LEARN] (along with [PET], [TRAINABLE] and occasionally [COMMON_DOMESTICATE] to quite a lot of animals and my dwarves had no problem slaughtering and butchering them, if they were tame. Now I had my military kill some of those animals and the butchers don't consider the corpses kosher... if it's [CAN_LEARN], goblin players might have similar issues with tame/wild Trolls. If not... I'm open to suggestions, what could I do to rectify the issue without starting a new fort?

I think it's the "can learn" thing. Dwarves don't butcher sentient creatures, such as goblins, elves, or your mutant animals.

xelo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15215 on: September 23, 2011, 06:48:28 pm »

I'm not really sure, but I think if you can see the corpse (or body part) on top of the trap without the use of any command, it is not jammed, but seems to be jammed if you can only see a corpse (or body part) by the use of command "t" onto that weapon trap.

But I'm not really sure, so I might be wrong... all my weapon traps are currently clean and "ready for action" so I can't take a closer look.

Edit:
After a now happened siege I can confirm my posting.
I have a weapon trap which seems to be jammed and a mutilated goblin corpse is shown by hitting "t" in the same manner as it were a component of the trap itself.
I can NOT see the corpse by hitting a "k", instead I see only the goblin's lost equipment.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2011, 08:18:51 am by xelo »
Please use Code-Tags for ascii illustrations relating DF

#....#
###### Bad
Code: [Select]
#....#
###### Good

Xen0n

• Bay Watcher
  • Took joy in ‼SCIENCE‼ lately.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15216 on: September 23, 2011, 06:53:00 pm »

I'm not really sure, but I think if you can see the corpse (or body part) on top of the trap without the use of any command, it is not jammed, but seems to be jammed if you can only see a corpse (or body part) by the use of command "t" onto that weapon trap.

But I'm not really sure, so I might be wrong... all my weapon traps are currently clean and "ready for action" so I can't take a closer look.

This matches up with what I've seen, if I recall correctly.  If you want to reduce the chances of it jamming in the first place, use fewer weapons per trap, and use more blunt weapons than bladed ones.

Ghills

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15217 on: September 23, 2011, 08:00:16 pm »

Why is my Announcements page not saveing announcements for any length of time? As soon as there gone from the main screen there gone from there. Combat reports too.

Are you scrolling up in the Announcements window?  There are several pages of announcements, and they can move up pretty quickly if you're getting a lot of them close together.
I AM POINTY DEATH INCARNATE
Ye know, being an usurper overseer gone mad with power isn't too bad. It's honestly not that different from being a normal overseer.
To summarize:
They do an epic face. If that fails, they beat said object to death with their beard.

CapnUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Sure, it's safe to drink!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15218 on: September 23, 2011, 08:00:17 pm »

My legendary mason had been churning out cabinets and coffers with admirable ferocity, then suddenly stopped when I set the workshop to only allow him access. I cannot get him to return to work, including disabling and re-enabling his Masonry labor, setting a burrow within the workshop, removing the profile on the workshop, or queuing the jobs he's to do again. He has access to the masons' workshop (it's in the middle of a hallway!), plenty of stone right next to it, and no other labors enabled and no injuries, and he is ecstatic and sane. He has been cycling through eating, drinking, sleeping, on break and, most of the time, idling in the "No Job" state for over a year. Is there any way to fix this?

[EDIT] The bastard. Went back to work after I posted this. Re-queuing was the last thing I did so I guess that did it.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2011, 08:01:54 pm by CapnUrist »
"My doctor says I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber [...] and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."

TheTinCat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15219 on: September 23, 2011, 09:44:41 pm »

So I'm trying to become hostile with the elves that keep coming to trade, and I've seized everything valuable from them on 4 occasions now.
Was wondering how many times I have to seize their goods before they become hostile, or if there's a better way to make them so.

edit: oh, forgot to mention. I've also killed the elf caravan twice before also. (through the fun use of floodgates)

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #15220 on: September 23, 2011, 09:49:33 pm »

It's really hard to get the elves to attack you by just killing their caravans.  The only reliable way I've found to trigger war with the elves is to mod them to have a diplomat, then kill their diplomat when they show up.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

TheTinCat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15221 on: September 23, 2011, 09:57:09 pm »

Hmm. I'm just getting into DF, and would rather keep everything vanilla for the sake of learning.
Never the less, I see this as a challenge...

Thanks for the quick reply sphalerite :)

Xen0n

• Bay Watcher
  • Took joy in ‼SCIENCE‼ lately.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15222 on: September 23, 2011, 10:15:40 pm »

Hmm. I'm just getting into DF, and would rather keep everything vanilla for the sake of learning.
Never the less, I see this as a challenge...

Thanks for the quick reply sphalerite :)

Depending on what you consider cheating/vanilla, you could use the trick in this thread to bring back the pre-existing Elven diplomats.  They used to be in the game, and when you re-enable them their old dialogue and behaviours are still there, but apparently some bug is preventing them from showing up at the moment.

Zona

• Bay Watcher
  • SEE YOU SOON
    • View Profile
« Reply #15223 on: September 24, 2011, 01:44:07 am »

Are you scrolling up in the Announcements window?  There are several pages of announcements, and they can move up pretty quickly if you're getting a lot of them close together.

Theres only one page...
Those lucky dwarves, despite the risk of being stabbed, shots, poisoned, eaten, mauled, enslaved, eviscerated or involved in accidents... at least they don’t have to worry about immediate dangers like the heat death of the universe.

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #15224 on: September 24, 2011, 01:51:48 am »

Will generating a world with 10000 mineral scarcity mean no minerals period?

EDIT: nvm, wiki says nope.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2011, 02:36:21 am by Seriyu »
Pages: 1 ... 1013 1014 [1015] 1016 1017 ... 1178