Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1011 1012 [1013] 1014 1015 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1125688 times)

San-A

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #15180 on: September 20, 2011, 03:32:40 pm »

Spoiler: Quote quote quote (click to show/hide)
I am running DF with the LNP under Windows. How am I supposed to use the "clearowned" command? I am sorry for this stupid question

Not a stupid question, took me a few days and asking a bunch of people in the DFHack thread to figure out  :P

Or you could install the new DFHack and it'd probably be way easier.  I just haven't bothered updating.

Thank you for your reply :) Actually the reason why I was asking is that there are no  such *.bat file in the DFhack directory. Only dfXvdig.bat. There are also no dfcleanowned.exe.... I will try to find them elsewhere

Xen0n

• Bay Watcher
  • Took joy in ‼SCIENCE‼ lately.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15181 on: September 20, 2011, 03:43:29 pm »

I am running DF with the LNP under Windows. How am I supposed to use the "clearowned" command? I am sorry for this stupid question

Not a stupid question, took me a few days and asking a bunch of people in the DFHack thread to figure out  :P

Or you could install the new DFHack and it'd probably be way easier.  I just haven't bothered updating.

Thank you for your reply :) Actually the reason why I was asking is that there are no  such *.bat file in the DFhack directory. Only dfXvdig.bat. There are also no dfcleanowned.exe.... I will try to find them elsewhere

Hmm what version of Dwarf Fortress / Lazy Newb Pack are you running?  For me, with running LazyNewbPack[0.31.25][V9.2] off a USB drive, I find it at F:\df\LazyNewbPack[0.31.25][V9.2]\LNP\Utilities\C-Hacks\DFhack 0.5.15\dfconfiscate.bat .  Seems like you're in the right folder...  Do you have "Hidden Files" visible in File Explorer?  Try unzipping/ installing the Utilities folder again?

San-A

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15182 on: September 20, 2011, 03:50:10 pm »

Hmm what version of Dwarf Fortress / Lazy Newb Pack are you running?  For me, with running LazyNewbPack[0.31.25][V9.2] off a USB drive, I find it at F:\df\LazyNewbPack[0.31.25][V9.2]\LNP\Utilities\C-Hacks\DFhack 0.5.15\dfconfiscate.bat .  Seems like you're in the right folder...  Do you have "Hidden Files" visible in File Explorer?  Try unzipping/ installing the Utilities folder again?

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15183 on: September 21, 2011, 08:40:08 am »

What's wrong with my Helmet Snakes? I've added [COMMON_DOMESTICATE] and made them [PET] (not exotic), otherwise left them unmodded, and they do claim nest boxes and lay eggs but those never hatch. Cave crocs and elk bird got the same treatment and their eggs hatch all right. On embark, I'm offered the choice of cave croc and elk bird hatchling, but no helmet snake hatchling... can it be that they lack a [CHILD] token in vanilla?
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

Xen0n

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15184 on: September 21, 2011, 08:51:47 am »

Spoiler: BLUH BLUH HUGE QUOTE (click to show/hide)

Er, sorry, did you try to write a reply in that last post?  I just see the quote o.0

What's wrong with my Helmet Snakes? I've added [COMMON_DOMESTICATE] and made them [PET] (not exotic), otherwise left them unmodded, and they do claim nest boxes and lay eggs but those never hatch. Cave crocs and elk bird got the same treatment and their eggs hatch all right. On embark, I'm offered the choice of cave croc and elk bird hatchling, but no helmet snake hatchling... can it be that they lack a [CHILD] token in vanilla?

I don't know much about helmet snakes, but if they do lack a [CHILD] token, then you should definitely add one if you want them to breed.  I also hear that if the female leaves the next box for any reason, even for an instant, after laying eggs, the eggs become infertile.  Try locking the nest boxes in rooms to prevent distractions?

Zeebie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15185 on: September 21, 2011, 09:28:00 am »

Since stacks can't be combined, is there any point in reclaiming spent bolts lying on the ground? Won't I just end up with marksdwarfs carrying around a single bolt?

San-A

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15186 on: September 21, 2011, 09:58:29 am »

I forgot to add thank you after the quote!

Xen0n

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15187 on: September 21, 2011, 10:20:59 am »

I forgot to add thank you after the quote!

Haha, no problem!  ;D Hope it works out!

Since stacks can't be combined, is there any point in reclaiming spent bolts lying on the ground? Won't I just end up with marksdwarfs carrying around a single bolt?

I can't confirm the exact limits and rules, but I've had marksdwarves carrying several different bolt stacks of varying sizes in one quiver, so it's definitely possible for them to use them effectively.  I think part of the reason auto-forbidding used ammo is appealing is that it prevents your marksdwarves from deciding to reload using a bolt over behind the goblin horde instead of one back in the armory mid-battle.  I usually just mass reclaim all the bolts over the field after a battle, and don't seem to have any issues.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15188 on: September 21, 2011, 11:51:30 am »

The only issue is the time spent walking around picking them up.  Your dwarf can put 25 single stacks of bolts into a quiver, no problem. Or 2 stacks of 5 and 15 stacks of 1.  It's all fine.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #15189 on: September 21, 2011, 01:32:27 pm »

If my fortress has reached its limit as dictated by the init file popcap, and I raise that cap whilst I'm playing the game, do I have to save and reload to get more migrants?

Also, my gem cutter just made a legendary schorl door. Since artifacts can't be destroyed, does that mean that the door can be used (with walls) as my sole anti-goblin defense?
« Last Edit: September 21, 2011, 01:42:51 pm by dhokarena56 »

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Reiina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15190 on: September 21, 2011, 03:23:28 pm »

Can a wall be a masterwork?
I think I destroyed a wall and one of my many mason/engraver wasn't happy about losing a masterwork.

To be specific, when I mean wall I mean a wall you order to construct, not smoothed stone.

edit:
Also I had something weird happened

I had

WallsWallsWallsWalls
RoadRoadRoadRoad
RoadRoadRoadRoad
RoadRoadRoadRoad
WallsWallsWallsWalls

I had an incident between one of my war dogs and 2 dwarves that were passing on that road, apparently the dog barked, they got scared, jumped away and...ended on the wall, on top of it!
I assume that if I make the wall 2 layers high that won't happen?

I had to build stairs to get them out!
Only in dwarf fortress can dwarves jump higher than they can drop from :p.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2011, 03:31:00 pm by Reiina »

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #15191 on: September 21, 2011, 03:26:55 pm »

No, constructions never cause art destruction thoughts, unless you've exploited the bug that sometimes lets you make engraved constructed walls.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Xen0n

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15192 on: September 21, 2011, 03:44:57 pm »

If my fortress has reached its limit as dictated by the init file popcap, and I raise that cap whilst I'm playing the game, do I have to save and reload to get more migrants?

Also, my gem cutter just made a legendary schorl door. Since artifacts can't be destroyed, does that mean that the door can be used (with walls) as my sole anti-goblin defense?

I would imagine any changes made to the init file during play wouldn't take effect until a restart, but can't confirm.  I've only even edited the init file while DF isn't running. 

Yes, your artifact door cannot be destroyed (but can be atomsmashed, and possibly made into a ‼door‼), but kobold or goblin thieves may still be able to pick it when locked, unless it's activated by lever (I think lever-activated doors are unpickable).

Can a wall be a masterwork?
I think I destroyed a wall and one of my many mason/engraver wasn't happy about losing a masterwork.

To be specific, when I mean wall I mean a wall you order to construct, not smoothed stone.

edit:
Also I had something weird happened

I had

WallsWallsWallsWalls
RoadRoadRoadRoad
RoadRoadRoadRoad
RoadRoadRoadRoad
WallsWallsWallsWalls

I had an incident between one of my war dogs and 2 dwarves that were passing on that road, apparently the dog barked, they got scared, jumped away and...ended on the wall, on top of it!
I assume that if I make the wall 2 layers high that won't happen?

I had to build stairs to get them out!
Only in dwarf fortress can dwarves jump higher than they can drop from :p.

I can't say for sure, but I've definitely heard of creatures doing weird things when dodging away from things, so that may be what happened.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15193 on: September 21, 2011, 05:12:15 pm »

Yea it's something related to combat.  And old surface fort of mine would often have residents stuck on the butchery and hospital roof during the seasonal buzzard assaults.  Was hilarious, but I never determined if it was charging or dodging that put them up there.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Imminent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15194 on: September 21, 2011, 09:30:22 pm »

Is there a way to ensure that all the normal events of a game occur at lower population caps?

I keep my fortress population capped at 80-100 for frame rate purposes, however I still want sieges to occur, nobles to immigrate, and megabeasts to attack me.
Pages: 1 ... 1011 1012 [1013] 1014 1015 ... 1178