Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1010 1011 [1012] 1013 1014 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1125702 times)

crekit

• Bay Watcher
  • Doesn't know what he's talking about.
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #15165 on: September 20, 2011, 09:35:33 am »

Will grass grow if I roof the ground over? Will cave whatever grow instead?
Can I make an underground, roofed over grass zone?
<-- Has no idea what just happened.

He likes gold, native gold, trees that are made of gold, and tungsten. He likes cats for their haunting meows. He needs dwarf fortress to get through the working day. When possible, prefers to consume Potatoes, cheese, cow milk. Absolutely detests elves. And spiders.

Endiqua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15166 on: September 20, 2011, 09:48:40 am »

Yes, you can channel from the top and roof it over and grass will indeed grow as long as you've got dirt there.  I'm pretty sure that cave moss/fungi will grow, as well, once the caverns have been breached.
DF sets out a challenge to us with no explanation and no assistance, and each time we fail it becomes more merciless, but we continue in the hopes that we can show it, "See?  I'm doing good, right?  I kept the little men alive!  You're proud of me, right?"

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15167 on: September 20, 2011, 09:50:22 am »

It will still be grass. For purposes of vegetation and miasma (or luck thereof), once it was open to sun, it'll always behave so. So, yes you can, but imho cave whatever would work just as fine for pastures, tree farms and plant gathering.
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

San-A

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15168 on: September 20, 2011, 11:25:19 am »

4 questions:

1- Can a dwarf use a battle axe and a shield without being penalised ?
2- Is it possible to channel down though several z-level without having to dig a up:down stair case besides?
3- I have some goblin equipment in the main corridor of my fortress (near of the entry) that my dwarves would never pick up, either for storing or dumping them. They are not forbidden. I have the same issue with some other items in the fortress (a bed, a bucket and some more...)
4- there is a wall tile that my dwarves refuse to smooth. Its position is as follow:
Code: [Select]

s s u
    s
    s
where the s's are the smoothed walls and the u is the unsmoothed wall.

Thank you!

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #15169 on: September 20, 2011, 11:38:46 am »

As far as I know, a dwarf will only be penalized if he's trying to wield both the axe and the shield with the same hand, and possibly not even then.

2- Is it possible to channel down though several z-level without having to dig a up:down stair case besides?

Yes, if you don't mind stranding your miners.  Make sure to only designate one layer for channeling at a time, and dig a corridor at the bottom to get them out.

3- I have some goblin equipment in the main corridor of my fortress (near of the entry) that my dwarves would never pick up, either for storing or dumping them. They are not forbidden. I have the same issue with some other items in the fortress (a bed, a bucket and some more...)

The goblin equipment is probably claimed and belongs to some dwarf in the fortress.  Make sure each dwarf has a bedroom, preferably with one or more cabinets in it, and they'll eventually pick their owned items up and put them away.  Make sure the owned items you want put away aren't forbidden or designated for dumping.

4- there is a wall tile that my dwarves refuse to smooth.

Is there anything which blocks passage, such as a statue or impassible workshop square, blocking their access to the corner?
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Xen0n

• Bay Watcher
  • Took joy in ‼SCIENCE‼ lately.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15170 on: September 20, 2011, 11:49:38 am »

4 questions:

4- there is a wall tile that my dwarves refuse to smooth. Its position is as follow:
Code: [Select]

s s u
    s
    s
where the s's are the smoothed walls and the u is the unsmoothed wall.

Thank you!

Just as Sphalerite says.  For trivia purposes, the only negative effect of equipping an axe and shield that I know of would be that the extra weight of the shield will slow you down (by a very, very small amount), though this can be negated by increasing your Shield User skill.  Ditto for armour. 

If you become fed up with owned items (since it can be a real pain), you can always cheat and use DFHack to confiscate/dump/delete them (Also came with Lazy Newb Pack)
« Last Edit: September 20, 2011, 11:52:20 am by Xen0n »

San-A

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15171 on: September 20, 2011, 11:50:43 am »

As far as I know, a dwarf will only be penalized if he's trying to wield both the axe and the shield with the same hand, and possibly not even then.

Yes, if you don't mind stranding your miners.  Make sure to only designate one layer for channeling at a time, and dig a corridor at the bottom to get them out.

The goblin equipment is probably claimed and belongs to some dwarf in the fortress.  Make sure each dwarf has a bedroom, preferably with one or more cabinets in it, and they'll eventually pick their owned items up and put them away.  Make sure the owned items you want put away aren't forbidden or designated for dumping.

4- there is a wall tile that my dwarves refuse to smooth.

Is there anything which blocks passage, such as a statue or impassible workshop square, blocking their access to the corner?

Thanks for the quick reply

1- OK
2- OK
3- indeed these were equipment belonging to dwarves. I'll see they got a room
4- Nothing blocks the passage. It seems they wouldn't smooth a corner...

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15172 on: September 20, 2011, 12:35:28 pm »

Is the square they won't smooth rock, or soil?  Soil can't be smoothed.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

San-A

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15173 on: September 20, 2011, 01:10:37 pm »

Is the square they won't smooth rock, or soil?  Soil can't be smoothed.
It's rock

San-A

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15174 on: September 20, 2011, 01:19:07 pm »

If you become fed up with owned items (since it can be a real pain), you can always cheat and use DFHack to confiscate/dump/delete them (Also came with Lazy Newb Pack)
Which tool of the DFhack can I use for that?

Xen0n

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15175 on: September 20, 2011, 01:28:46 pm »

For the new version, I believe it would be:
'clearowned' - removes ownership of claimed items, solving problems with worn clothing and military starving out the fort.

Although I've only ever used the old version that was packaged with the Lazy Newb Pack.  In that case I would go to the DFHack folder manuualy and run something like "dfconsfiscate.bat"

The readme will probably explain it better for the new version.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #15176 on: September 20, 2011, 02:40:02 pm »

My expedition leader went into a strange mood during negotiations with the dwarven diplomat. That means I'll never get another diplomat, right?

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

San-A

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15177 on: September 20, 2011, 03:01:53 pm »

For the new version, I believe it would be:
'clearowned' - removes ownership of claimed items, solving problems with worn clothing and military starving out the fort.

Although I've only ever used the old version that was packaged with the Lazy Newb Pack.  In that case I would go to the DFHack folder manuualy and run something like "dfconsfiscate.bat"

The readme will probably explain it better for the new version.
All right I am discovering that DFhack needs a bit of attention to work properly.

I am running DF with the LNP under Windows. How am I supposed to use the "clearowned" command? I am sorry for this stupid question

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15178 on: September 20, 2011, 03:07:43 pm »

My expedition leader went into a strange mood during negotiations with the dwarven diplomat. That means I'll never get another diplomat, right?
I assume you mean the Liaison?  You should get another one next year.

Xen0n

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15179 on: September 20, 2011, 03:22:33 pm »

Spoiler: Quote quote quote (click to show/hide)
I am running DF with the LNP under Windows. How am I supposed to use the "clearowned" command? I am sorry for this stupid question

Not a stupid question, took me a few days and asking a bunch of people in the DFHack thread to figure out  :P

Or you could install the new DFHack and it'd probably be way easier.  I just haven't bothered updating.
Pages: 1 ... 1010 1011 [1012] 1013 1014 ... 1178