Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1008 1009 [1010] 1011 1012 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1125758 times)

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #15135 on: September 18, 2011, 10:38:04 am »

Would it be possible to build zoos using captured invaders? I want a goblin circus(With no clowns, mind you).

You can designate a 'zoo' room based on any cage, no matter what the cage has in it.

If you're planning something more elaborate with goblins running free behind windows or something, remember than un-caged goblins will scare your dwarves and cause job interruptions.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Grumbledwarfskin

• Bay Watcher
  • stilts don't have skin
    • View Profile
« Reply #15136 on: September 18, 2011, 11:44:49 am »

hi! How do i order my achers to equip quivers? I have plenty of them but they don't equip them :(

You don't order them to equip quivers, they do it automatically. But you do/can designate how much ammunition they have assigned to their squad, and whether they use it for training and/or combat. Not sure, but they might not pick up a quiver if they don't have ammo to fill it with (makes sense, if a squad has no ammo, they shouldn't be keeping quivers from being used by your hunters/other squads).

I forget the exact key, but look for "ammunition" in the bottom row of the (m)ilitary menu.

Xen0n

• Bay Watcher
  • Took joy in ‼SCIENCE‼ lately.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15137 on: September 18, 2011, 11:59:10 am »

Would it be possible to build zoos using captured invaders? I want a goblin circus(With no clowns, mind you).

You can designate a 'zoo' room based on any cage, no matter what the cage has in it.

If you're planning something more elaborate with goblins running free behind windows or something, remember than un-caged goblins will scare your dwarves and cause job interruptions.

Sort of a side question, but what are the actual effects of a 'zoo' designated from a cage?  Does it make idle dwarves more likely to walk by, like a meeting area/hall?  Will it increase the chance of an "admired X creature" happy thought?  Any reason to designate it a zoo instead of just building it and not designating it?  The wiki is a bit sparse of the hot issue of cage-zoo designation.

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15138 on: September 18, 2011, 12:44:48 pm »

Oh, and I have another question.
Why won't my dwarves acknowledge the fact that I have rough purple spinels? I tried dumping and then un-forbidding it, but that didn't work.
Any ideas, aside from using magma?
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #15139 on: September 18, 2011, 12:50:15 pm »

Why won't my dwarves acknowledge the fact that I have rough purple spinels? I tried dumping and then un-forbidding it, but that didn't work.

The three tiles on the right side of a gemcutter's shop are impassible.  Check to see if you have blocked a corridor by building your gemcutter's shop right up against a wall or door.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15140 on: September 18, 2011, 01:25:53 pm »

The three tiles on the right side of a gemcutter's shop are impassible.  Check to see if you have blocked a corridor by building your gemcutter's shop right up against a wall or door.
The gems stockpile is completely open. In fact, the location of the aforementioned gem is to the left of the workshop.
Proud of my heritage.

Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15141 on: September 18, 2011, 05:14:01 pm »

The gems stockpile is completely open. In fact, the location of the aforementioned gem is to the left of the workshop.
Did you remove the dump after? Also, what exactly is the cancellation message. Is it cannot reach site or no item. If it's cannot reach site, either the workshop and/or the gem is blocked off somehow, or not in your burrow. If it's no items, it might not be a rough gem(meaning you either bought it from a caravan and didn't realize it was already cut, or the job was on repeat and finished.)
Please don't let textbooks invade Bay12.
The Conquistadors only have the faintest idea of what the modern world is like when they are greeted by two hostile WWI Veterans riding on a giant potato; Welcome to 2016.

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15142 on: September 18, 2011, 06:38:32 pm »

It's a rough purple spinel, with no mark for dump or forbid, and it doesn't even show up in the job menu (q-a)
Proud of my heritage.

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15143 on: September 18, 2011, 06:51:24 pm »

Hi could someone help me remember the months of the dwarven calendar, i need them for something I'm doing.

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15144 on: September 18, 2011, 06:53:41 pm »

Hi could someone help me remember the months of the dwarven calendar, i need them for something I'm doing.

At http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Calendar
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...<P>It should be pretty fun though.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15145 on: September 18, 2011, 10:12:29 pm »

Sort of a side question, but what are the actual effects of a 'zoo' designated from a cage?  Does it make idle dwarves more likely to walk by, like a meeting area/hall?  Will it increase the chance of an "admired X creature" happy thought?  Any reason to designate it a zoo instead of just building it and not designating it?  The wiki is a bit sparse of the hot issue of cage-zoo designation.

It works the same way as a statue garden does. It behaves as a meeting hall and parties can be started from the object.  That may have a side effect of the admired creature thoughts if you have liked creatures in cages within the area, but probably only because they are drawn there whenever idle and have a better chance of stumbling upon the cage containing their favorite kind of gibbon.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #15146 on: September 19, 2011, 05:47:28 am »

Question:

How do you increase the value of a limited space room, so that the occupants become really happy?  This isn't for nobles or anything, but for my military dwarves, I don't want them to tantrum.  And I don't know how to make wells. 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15147 on: September 19, 2011, 06:01:54 am »

Question:

How do you increase the value of a limited space room, so that the occupants become really happy?  This isn't for nobles or anything, but for my military dwarves, I don't want them to tantrum.  And I don't know how to make wells.
One idea is to encrust a piece of furniture with gems, such as a mechanism, and build it in the room necessary.
You can add extra mechanisms to a lever by linking it up to something and then deconstructing said link.
Like, hooking up a lever to a door and then deconstructing that door.
Proud of my heritage.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #15148 on: September 19, 2011, 06:17:54 am »

I don't know how to make mechanisms  :'(
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15149 on: September 19, 2011, 06:22:06 am »

Mechanic's workshop, (b-w-t)
Queue task for mechanism (q-a-t)
It requires stone, though. You should probably have spare stone from digging.
Proud of my heritage.
Pages: 1 ... 1008 1009 [1010] 1011 1012 ... 1178