Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1007 1008 [1009] 1010 1011 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1125869 times)

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #15120 on: September 17, 2011, 08:36:31 am »

In the "Thoughts and preferences" of one of my dwarves I read:
"He has suffered the travesty of art defacement"  :o
What does it mean?  What could cause such negative thoughts?

Thank you

Urist McCook has created a masterpiece cat tallow roast! Bask in his glory as--

"Hey Urist, I just saw that fox you liked a while ago. It was running off with one of your meals."

"Wait...Beard sense...tingling..."

"NOOOOO MY MASTERPIECE!!!!"

~~~
Your dwarf has lost a masterpiece to either a thief (like above) or a clumsy miner has mined out a masterpiece engraved wall, either works.

xelo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15121 on: September 17, 2011, 08:41:23 am »

Your dwarf has lost a masterpiece to either a thief (like above) or a clumsy miner has mined out a masterpiece engraved wall, either works.
That is probably the reason! I digged through an engraved wall. Thank you for the explaination.
Please use Code-Tags for ascii illustrations relating DF

#....#
###### Bad
Code: [Select]
#....#
###### Good

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15122 on: September 17, 2011, 10:28:08 am »

The bad thought is lessened if they have a large number of masterpeices.  A legendary weaponsmith pumping out thousands of masterwork bolts will get the same bad thought message, but the effect of the thought is negligible, because they have hundreds more.

A sub par engraver that only ever managed to get lucky and make one masterwork engraving their entire life will flip their shit if it gets destroyed.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Jaylow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Fleet
« Reply #15123 on: September 17, 2011, 01:18:15 pm »

is there a thing like a valve  lets water flow one way but not the other
or how do i make one in my fort

i want to let water flow back in the river
but i dont want that the river flows back to that channel

History always has a few tricks up its frayed sleeve. It's been around a long time.
Creators aren't gods. They make places, which is quite hard. It's men that make gods. This explains a lot.
One of the most basic rules for survival on any planet is never to upset someone wearing black leather.
This is why protesters against the wearing of animal skins by humans unaccountably fail to throw their paint over Hell's Angels.

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15124 on: September 17, 2011, 01:31:27 pm »

The closest thing to what you want relies on the fact that water will flow down but not up.  Keep a couple of tiles separating your river from your channel, and build a screw pump to empty your channel into your river.

edit: for other styles of things, you could always build something mechanical, that permits passage of water when one tile has very little water in it (or when one tile has a lot of water in it).  Doesn't sound like that's what you're looking for right now though.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2011, 01:35:20 pm by Nil Eyeglazed »
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...<P>It should be pretty fun though.

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15125 on: September 17, 2011, 04:42:26 pm »

So, I built a 16 z-level tower for my mass pitting operations, and I have all kind of pitted creatures exploding to pieces on landing. The dorfs then haul the pieces to my refuse stockpile, and the butchers take those, one by one, to their workshops to butcher them.

So, question is, do they gain more xp this way, than by slaughtering and butchering whole animals? They certainly have more work to do...
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #15126 on: September 17, 2011, 10:37:56 pm »

I'm pretty sure they do since each 'job' grants the same amount of xp. All more skilled butchers do is work faster though, so it doesn't make that big of a difference unless you have some serious butchery going on there.
I'm a bit confused about room value. I've got 2 offices the same size, both made from gold blocks. One has several items in it (Armour stands etc.) and has a value of Decent Office, the other is empty except the chair and has a value of Opulent Throne Room. both are defined from standard quality chairs. the only other thing different is the Decent office is also a Decent Dining room. any ideas? is the Dining Room reducing/splitting the value or something?
Edit: NVM. it is the dining room. reducing the size of the dining room increases the value of the office/throne room.

Yeah, overlapping rooms will split the value of a room between them, though with a few legendary artifacts it is still very possible for you to move all of your nobles into the same room that is just designated multiple times and still have it be listed as 'opulent' for all of them.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #15127 on: September 18, 2011, 01:18:41 am »

Question: Can we limit the number of migrants in the init.txt file? And if so, will that affect all worlds or do I have to make a regen?

Zeebie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15128 on: September 18, 2011, 04:19:18 am »

I just had an imprisoned dwarf (couldn't fulfill the impossible mandate) die of thirst.  How do I make sure that caged dwarfs get fed and watered?

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #15129 on: September 18, 2011, 04:37:28 am »

Question: Can we limit the number of migrants in the init.txt file? And if so, will that affect all worlds or do I have to make a regen?
You can limit the total population limits of a fort in order to control migration in the init file, yes, but you can't actually affect migration sizes themselves. Also this will affect all of your games without you needing to regen or anything.

I just had an imprisoned dwarf (couldn't fulfill the impossible mandate) die of thirst.  How do I make sure that caged dwarfs get fed and watered?
Have lots of free dwarves with nothing to do. Personally the best way to deal with this problem is to use chains or ropes for jails instead of cages.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

kardwill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15130 on: September 18, 2011, 07:00:10 am »

Have lots of free dwarves with nothing to do. Personally the best way to deal with this problem is to use chains or ropes for jails instead of cages.
Yes, every caged prisoner I had died of thirst, but chained prisoners are watered normally. Don't buid cages in your prison, they're deathtraps.

kardwill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15131 on: September 18, 2011, 07:01:29 am »

A manually operated screw pump would do. Build a pump on the level above the channel, and pump the water out.

makey

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #15132 on: September 18, 2011, 10:06:23 am »

hi! How do i order my achers to equip quivers? I have plenty of them but they don't equip them :(
« Last Edit: September 18, 2011, 10:11:16 am by makey »

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15133 on: September 18, 2011, 10:35:21 am »

Would it be possible to build zoos using captured invaders? I want a goblin circus(With no clowns, mind you).
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #15134 on: September 18, 2011, 10:36:48 am »

What I typically do is build my jail based around chains, not cages.  I then arrange for a prepared meal stockpile, and either a booze stockpile or a well, to be adjacent to the chain.  That way the prisoner can get their own food and drink.  If I'm feeling really merciful, I'll also have a bed, table and chair, reachable by the prisoner, making a fully equipped 3xe cell centered on each chain.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.
Pages: 1 ... 1007 1008 [1009] 1010 1011 ... 1178