Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1006 1007 [1008] 1009 1010 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1125824 times)

Grumbledwarfskin

• Bay Watcher
  • stilts don't have skin
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #15105 on: September 15, 2011, 03:36:28 pm »

There actually is an encumbrance system in place.

Yes, they move slower...but what I meant was an encumberance system in terms of combat and equipment, i.e. the inability to hit anything with your weapon (or actively block anything with your shield for that matter) because you have nine sets of sleeves on your arms and you can't move them anymore, much less aim. The D&D style hitpoint system that DF shuns is highly unrealistic, but a D&D style encumberance system for equipment with pentalties on to-hit rolls is pretty realistic (and not FPS intensive, as it's only used once per attack).

It's possible that DF actually already does have one (in many systems, an "armor use" skill is for lowering encumberance due to armor, not sure if that applies in DF), but if so, it seems the benefits of the extra armor outweigh the costs because the encumberance penalties are unrealistically small or armor use skill negates them too easily.

Hauling implausible objects certainly seems necessary, but it doesn't mean implausible gear is also necessary. At the moment, the ethic is [WEAR_RIDICULOUS_ARMOR:PERSONAL_MATTER], which I'm actually OK with...if you want to mod the game to make fighting easier, you can choose to put ridiculous gear on your dwarves. But don't pretend you're not playing an undwarvenly cheesy mod.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15106 on: September 15, 2011, 04:37:54 pm »

Ah yea, I forgot about armor user.  All that does is reduce your armor's (and backpacks in adventure mode since it's worn like armor) weight by an amount based on your skill.  At legendary last I checked it nullifies the effect of armor weight entirely.

But yea I see what yer talking about now.  5 cloaks layered over a breastplate and 3 chainmails is a bit much.  You really should not be able to function at 100% of your offensive capability like that, no matter how skilled you are at wearing your armor.  Hell you probably shouldn't be able to function 100% defensively either, it seems like the entire plan is to just be an immobile pile of clothing and metal that gets in your opponent's way.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15107 on: September 16, 2011, 08:26:06 am »

Is there a significant speed difference between the windows and the linux versions of DF?

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #15108 on: September 16, 2011, 10:10:10 am »

Hell you probably shouldn't be able to function 100% defensively either, it seems like the entire plan is to just be an immobile pile of clothing and metal that gets in your opponent's way.

Are you trying to tell me that dwarves can actually do anything else right now?  :P My military tends to just be there to mop up wounded survivors of the traps and die gloriously in anything close to an actual fight without really doing any damage.

my current fortress is in its 8th year and hasn't seen a single human caravan so far. To check if the humans are even alive, I made a backup save file, abandoned the fort and looked at my embark site again - and the humans are right there in the neighbors screen. I know that caravans won't come when the fortress is under siege, but I've had a few quiet years without any vile forces of darkness camping in front of my gates. The dwarven and elven caravans are visiting regularly, too.
Any ideas why the humans won't come? I'm playing DF2010 0.31.25, completely unmodded, if it matters.
Are you sure that the humans are on a trading basis with your civ? Because they might be pissed off enough to not trade but not angry enough to attack you. Make sure that it is empty besides their name in the neighbor's screen and doesn't say something like "no trade". Also is the human civilization far away from you? It seems that being a large distance away (at least in the older versions) would slow down caravans sometimes so that they took longer to get to your fort. And did any of the human caravans die in the previous sieges? If they did it might have annoyed their civilization.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

agvkrioni

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15109 on: September 16, 2011, 12:39:04 pm »

There never seem to be enough barrels around to brew drinks. How do I change this? I've even had a carpenter massproducing barrels on repeat. Is there a way to set some aside specifically for brewing?

Xen0n

• Bay Watcher
  • Took joy in ‼SCIENCE‼ lately.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15110 on: September 16, 2011, 12:53:41 pm »

There never seem to be enough barrels around to brew drinks. How do I change this? I've even had a carpenter massproducing barrels on repeat. Is there a way to set some aside specifically for brewing?

If all your barrels are being taken to store things in stockpiles instead of for boozemaking, increase the number of 'reserved' barrels in the stockpiles menu ('p').  Reserved barrels won't be used as storage in a stockpile unless certain workshops (like the still/brewery) fills them first.  Also consider putting a furniture stockpile set to only accept empty barrels next to you brewery.

Valdrax

• Bay Watcher
  • HUGE ELF (bluh bluh)
    • View Profile
« Reply #15111 on: September 16, 2011, 01:23:09 pm »

In general, will tame exotic pets (bought from Elves) breed without a dungeon master, or do I need to edit the raws?
The history of a good fortress is not written in blood, it's painted on the walls by the hand of a melancholy orphan.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #15112 on: September 16, 2011, 01:35:45 pm »

You need to edit the raws.  PET_EXOTIC creatures don't breed no matter their tame/wild status.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Zaphod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15113 on: September 16, 2011, 09:33:12 pm »

When it says "A HOARY MARMOT HAS STOLEN PREPARED ELK BRAINS" from your embark wagon. Why can't I see that marmot and teach it some dwarven justice? Are they like thieves? Invisible until a dwarf bumps into it?
I only play legends mode

I also play on the longest history setting for hard mode.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #15114 on: September 16, 2011, 10:18:45 pm »

Your barrels are probably all full of the plants you're making too many of.  I solve this by having separate stockpiles for plants and booze, and set the maximum barrels allowed on the plant stockpile to zero.  Plants don't need to be stored in barrels.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15115 on: September 16, 2011, 11:11:38 pm »

Though it probably isn't a solution to the heart of your problem you can also make large pots at your craftsdwarf shops with a stonecrafter. They function exactly like a barrel.

My current fortress actually seemed to be producing food storage objects faster than they could be assigned to my food stockpile for a short time.  Food stockpile was overflowing with uncontainered meats, and the crafts and carpentry shops both had pots and barrels sitting around idle in the workshop.  Every so often one would be hauled to the food stockpile.  So it seems there can only be one 'add another barrel to the stockpile' job happening per stockpile, so if you can produce pots and barrels faster than they can be hauled to your stockpiles you may be able to always have spare containers handy for your booze.

Other good sources of pots are glass workshops, which is free if you have sand and magma, and kilns when mixed with kaolinite.  Since kaolinite makes porcelain and porcelain does not need extra processing to hold liquids.  Though regular stone at a craftsshop is probably more convenient 90% of the time than those alternatives, it's handy to know.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #15116 on: September 16, 2011, 11:20:28 pm »

When it says "A HOARY MARMOT HAS STOLEN PREPARED ELK BRAINS" from your embark wagon. Why can't I see that marmot and teach it some dwarven justice? Are they like thieves? Invisible until a dwarf bumps into it?

That announcement only appears when the thief successfully leaves the map with their item. Most likely, the marmot snagged something when you weren't looking and made a beeline for the map edge. It gets particularly bad when vultures do it.

Horribleaccount

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #15117 on: September 17, 2011, 04:24:15 am »

nvrm, found out.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2011, 07:26:11 am by Horribleaccount »

Fahgo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15118 on: September 17, 2011, 07:34:38 am »

How do I free prisoners?I.E:Let them out of their cages so I can maul them.
Either build the cage (b>j then x to expand the list so you can find "Goblin cage(Oak)"), build a lever and then attach the lever to the cage. station military - pull lever - watch the limbs fly.
Or pit them. http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Mass_pitting. if you use pitting remember to disarm the prisoner.

I'm a bit confused about room value. I've got 2 offices the same size, both made from gold blocks. One has several items in it (Armour stands etc.) and has a value of Decent Office, the other is empty except the chair and has a value of Opulent Throne Room. both are defined from standard quality chairs. the only other thing different is the Decent office is also a Decent Dining room. any ideas? is the Dining Room reducing/splitting the value or something?

Edit: NVM. it is the dining room. reducing the size of the dining room increases the value of the office/throne room.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2011, 07:36:29 am by Fahgo »

xelo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15119 on: September 17, 2011, 08:30:41 am »

In the "Thoughts and preferences" of one of my dwarves I read:
"He has suffered the travesty of art defacement"  :o
What does it mean?  What could cause such negative thoughts?

Thank you
Please use Code-Tags for ascii illustrations relating DF

#....#
###### Bad
Code: [Select]
#....#
###### Good
Pages: 1 ... 1006 1007 [1008] 1009 1010 ... 1178