Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1005 1006 [1007] 1008 1009 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1125925 times)

Zeebie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #15090 on: September 14, 2011, 06:39:44 pm »

My mayor has requested a sterling silver slab in his dining room. Unfortunately, I don't see any way to make a slab out of metal.  Any way to do this?

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #15091 on: September 14, 2011, 06:43:25 pm »

This is an impossible demand.  Fortunately, ignoring a demand results in no punishment, merely an unhappy thought for the noble.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15092 on: September 14, 2011, 07:27:11 pm »

Yes, building destroyers will destroy roads.
Now I don't want to throw out the possibility that I've just been really lucky, but I have the entire entrance area of my fortress completely floored with silver iron and copper roads and trolls never touch them.  Instead walking over them just like any invader and going for the doors my melee guys camp behind.

Is it just the bigger building destroyers?
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

xelo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15093 on: September 15, 2011, 12:10:42 am »

Now I don't want to throw out the possibility that I've just been really lucky, but I have the entire entrance area of my fortress completely floored with silver iron and copper roads and trolls never touch them.  Instead walking over them just like any invader and going for the doors my melee guys camp behind.

Is it just the bigger building destroyers?
Me too... trolls/ettins/cyclops/giants ignored my paved roads so far, but there are 3 classes of building destroyers and I would like to avoid any risk. I don't like to deconstruct my mega construction only because one growed fungiwood could block the flow of water if the paved road would be destroyed.

Constructing greetings

xelo
Please use Code-Tags for ascii illustrations relating DF

#....#
###### Bad
Code: [Select]
#....#
###### Good

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15094 on: September 15, 2011, 02:46:30 am »

My FPS recently dropped below 9, and occasionally takes detours even lower... I have a few suspects, but no solution known to me for some of them. The possible suspects are:

-Beekeping industry, with 50+ hives. Those little buggers need to path around, right? Plus there's a field littered with bee remains there, thanks to my damned cats >:( ... next time I'll build the hives in a walled off area with a series of tightly locked doors to keep the damn things out. Will it help if I deconstruct those hives?

-tons of goblinite in the fields, and my dwarfs also arrived to the point of shedding their worn out clothing. Is there any way to get rid of those pesky clothes without also getting rid of armor?
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #15095 on: September 15, 2011, 04:35:13 am »

My FPS recently dropped below 9, and occasionally takes detours even lower... I have a few suspects, but no solution known to me for some of them. The possible suspects are:

-Beekeping industry, with 50+ hives. Those little buggers need to path around, right? Plus there's a field littered with bee remains there, thanks to my damned cats >:( ... next time I'll build the hives in a walled off area with a series of tightly locked doors to keep the damn things out. Will it help if I deconstruct those hives?

-tons of goblinite in the fields, and my dwarfs also arrived to the point of shedding their worn out clothing. Is there any way to get rid of those pesky clothes without also getting rid of armor?

You could pasture the cats, better than moving all those hives. The goblinite could be smelted OR hidden (h) if you don't need it. (not sure if hiding stuff increases FPS).

As far as I know, you will have to wait for the clothes to wear out fully. I think you'd better look for liquid sources, mist generators/aerial gases and such, they cause the FPS to slow down. (Or you just had a catsplosion, Pasture the kitties or introduce them to the butcher. Necessity first  ;) )

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15096 on: September 15, 2011, 07:38:49 am »

There is a DFHack utility that allows you to mark items for dumping ingame and when you run the utility it will move allow you to move all the items instantly to any floored point on the map. Raise a bridge, use the tool to move all that crap under the bridge, and then lower the bridge. (you can also just outright poof them out of existence with the tool, but I prefer to use the actual ingame mechanics whenever possible, less chance of tool induced bugs)

It will allow you to easily destroy the shed clothing just by marking all the clothes scattered about for dumping.   Of course you could also go the "Nuke it from orbit" option and just mark for dumping every piece of clothing in the fortress from the stocks screen THEN use the tool.   But that would require you being able to mentally picture your fortress afterwards without vomiting.

Another possible cause could be a FB with fire breath roasted some native animal peoples.  In an unexplored area of the map. That can cause the firebreathing creature to build up a very high temperature, and that can cause slowdown when they come near something that reacts with temperature, like water for example.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.

redsector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15097 on: September 15, 2011, 08:57:13 am »

Hello there,

my current fortress is in its 8th year and hasn't seen a single human caravan so far. To check if the humans are even alive, I made a backup save file, abandoned the fort and looked at my embark site again - and the humans are right there in the neighbors screen. I know that caravans won't come when the fortress is under siege, but I've had a few quiet years without any vile forces of darkness camping in front of my gates. The dwarven and elven caravans are visiting regularly, too.

Any ideas why the humans won't come? I'm playing DF2010 0.31.25, completely unmodded, if it matters.

Thanks,
rs
« Last Edit: September 15, 2011, 09:07:34 am by redsector »

Horribleaccount

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #15098 on: September 15, 2011, 09:17:34 am »

Is there any actual difference between breastplates and mail shirt?

ZeroSumHappiness

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15099 on: September 15, 2011, 09:54:04 am »

Quote from: Wiki, DF2010:Armor
Note that breastplates only protect upper/lower torso areas, while mail shirts also cover the upper arms.
Edit: P.S. The wiki has even more differences listed.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2011, 01:57:08 pm by ZeroSumHappiness »

onarum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15100 on: September 15, 2011, 11:51:03 am »

Note that breastplates only protect upper/lower torso areas, while mail shirts also cover the upper arms.

Plus breastplates have a higher deflect chance I think, so ideally you should have your dwarves wearing both, and a cloak.

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile
« Reply #15101 on: September 15, 2011, 12:53:25 pm »

Plus breastplates have a higher deflect chance I think, so ideally you should have your dwarves wearing both, and a cloak.

And six cloaks, you mean.
But .... It's so small!
It's not the size of the pick that counts... it's the size of the man with the pick.
Quote from: Toady One
Naturally, we'd like to make life miserable for everybody, randomly, but that'll take some doing.

Grumbledwarfskin

• Bay Watcher
  • stilts don't have skin
    • View Profile
« Reply #15102 on: September 15, 2011, 01:40:59 pm »

And six cloaks, you mean.

But no more than five if they're marksdwarves, as they apparently can't equip 6 cloaks and a quiver and a backpack, as was recently discussed. Personally, it feels necessary to wear both chainmail and breastplates, but it seems like an exploit to go on and equip the dwarves with three layers of chainmail and six cloaks. DF needs an encumberance system, or to have wearing six cloaks in the summer lead to heat stroke.

There's also a difference in the type of protection provided: shaped armor like breastplates protects from blunt attacks, chainmail doesn't do much, as you'd expect, but it is more effective against some other types of attacks.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15103 on: September 15, 2011, 02:24:57 pm »

There actually is an encumbrance system in place.  It just gets to the point where it just can't reduce your speed anymore while still allowing you to keep picking up whale corpses.  Dwarves lugging a lot of weight (including their own weight, fat slows them down too according to Word of God) will move and attack progressively slower when they exceed their encumbrance.

With just armor though it is difficult to make it drastic, especially since the dwarves you typically throw armor on tend to be pretty buff, and can carry a lot of weight before getting to that point.  It is more obvious with weaker dwarves wearing full suits, and you can also see it in action when a hauler is carrying a megabeast corpse or something like a platinum statue.

Mechanixm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15104 on: September 15, 2011, 03:09:05 pm »

My mayor has requested a sterling silver slab in his dining room. Unfortunately, I don't see any way to make a slab out of metal.  Any way to do this?

I am tossing around the idea of adding this to my new Mod...Hell, I already added Metal Beds and Glass mechanism, why not right?
Pages: 1 ... 1005 1006 [1007] 1008 1009 ... 1178