Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1004 1005 [1006] 1007 1008 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1125937 times)

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #15075 on: September 13, 2011, 06:51:49 pm »

Crystal glass is bugged at the moment.  You can wait for Toady to fix it, or, if you have a hex editor and know how to use it, apply the patch described here:
http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=1498
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

agvkrioni

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15076 on: September 13, 2011, 07:22:45 pm »

Axles and gears can only link to millstones and pumps.  You can however use a pump, a pressure plate, and some water as a rotation sensor, and use that to trigger floodgates or doors.
Brilliant!
 :o
...explain?

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #15077 on: September 13, 2011, 10:19:13 pm »

The wiki has a very large page on trap design and various different ways of destroying your enemies that can prove very helpful to the aspiring goblin/elf/FB destroyer.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15078 on: September 14, 2011, 12:20:36 am »

Axles and gears can only link to millstones and pumps.  You can however use a pump, a pressure plate, and some water as a rotation sensor, and use that to trigger floodgates or doors.
Brilliant!
 :o
...explain?

Build a pressure plate that triggers on 1-7 of water.  Build a pump that delivers water to that square, build a cistern to feed the pump.  Link the pressure plate to whatever thing you want activated.  Now, when the pump receives power, it will deliver water to the pressure plate, which will then trigger your device.

To make it reusable, build a second pump on top of the first pump, so that you can pump the water from the pressure plate to the cistern.  Attach this reset pump to power as desired.
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...<P>It should be pretty fun though.

plynxis

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh god I'm so tired, leave me alone...
    • View Profile
« Reply #15079 on: September 14, 2011, 01:04:13 am »

thats more like a buffer/follower than a rotation sensor unless i misunderstood
What? Go away, I'm sleep deprived...

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15080 on: September 14, 2011, 01:41:51 am »

thats more like a buffer/follower than a rotation sensor unless i misunderstood

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05WS0WN7zMQ
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...<P>It should be pretty fun though.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15081 on: September 14, 2011, 07:48:20 am »

Here's my design for a rotation sensor.

Upper level:

Code: [Select]
###+++
# %% +
###+++

Lower level:

######
#+++^#
######

The pump on the upper level is set to pump from east to west.

The pressure plate on the lower level is set to be 'on' for water at levels 6-7 if you want it to trigger when the pump is not running, or 'on' for water at levels 0-5 if you want it to trigger when the pump is running.  The pressure plate must also be built *before* the pump is built.

After connecting the pressure plate to whatever you want it to trigger, fill the four tiles on the lower level with 7/7 deep water.  With the pump not running, the pressure plate will have water on it.  When the pump activates, the water will be removed from the pressure plate tile.  It will instantly fall from the pump outlet and refill the lower level, but so long as you have built the pressure plate before building the pump the plate will react to the absence of water before the water can refill, and will stay in the no-water state so long as the pump is running.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

xelo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15082 on: September 14, 2011, 11:45:58 am »

Short question: Will building destroyers destroy my paved roads?
If yes: How can I avoid the growing of shrubs in a building destroyer secure way?

Thank you

Growing greetings

xelo
Please use Code-Tags for ascii illustrations relating DF

#....#
###### Bad
#....#
###### Good

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15083 on: September 14, 2011, 11:52:56 am »

Yes, building destroyers will destroy roads.  Constructed floors will stop the growth of shrubs and are safe from buildingdestroyers.  Or, if you want to be cheap and use a semi-exploit, put down a stockpile with everything disabled.

Xen0n

• Bay Watcher
  • Took joy in ‼SCIENCE‼ lately.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15084 on: September 14, 2011, 12:00:15 pm »

Short question: Will building destroyers destroy my paved roads?
If yes: How can I avoid the growing of shrubs in a building destroyer secure way?

Thank you

Growing greetings

xelo

Possibly helpful: 
If you're just looking to keep trees from blocking your sewage system / water plumbing, consider digging out all your water pipes as "Upward stairs" instead of standard "Dig."  It allows liquids, items and creatures to pass through just like normal, but doesn't allow any plant growth.

xelo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15085 on: September 14, 2011, 12:48:44 pm »

Yes, building destroyers will destroy roads.
grmbl
Constructed floors will stop the growth of shrubs and are safe from buildingdestroyers.
Constructed floortiles? This are very good news!
Or, if you want to be cheap and use a semi-exploit, put down a stockpile with everything disabled.
No, that would be boring and not dwarfish! : )

Thank you

Possibly helpful: 
If you're just looking to keep trees from blocking your sewage system / water plumbing, consider digging out all your water pipes as "Upward stairs" instead of standard "Dig."  It allows liquids, items and creatures to pass through just like normal, but doesn't allow any plant growth.
Yeah I know, but it looks terribly disgusting : )
Nevertheless thank you very much

Please use Code-Tags for ascii illustrations relating DF

#....#
###### Bad
#....#
###### Good

plynxis

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh god I'm so tired, leave me alone...
    • View Profile
« Reply #15086 on: September 14, 2011, 05:19:18 pm »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05WS0WN7zMQ

i dont get it, are you being smart with me because i understand that term differently?

should i answer with a quote or something?
What? Go away, I'm sleep deprived...

nightwhips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15087 on: September 14, 2011, 05:23:32 pm »

I'm having trouble figuring out unit kill lists, etc. Where do I see who killed what and how many?
: Miner dwarves? In my volcano?

:I put childs into danger room...
They die, and their parents care nothing because legendary dining room.

Xen0n

• Bay Watcher
  • Took joy in ‼SCIENCE‼ lately.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15088 on: September 14, 2011, 05:25:53 pm »

I'm having trouble figuring out unit kill lists, etc. Where do I see who killed what and how many?

If I remember right, you 'q' 'v' over a unit, hit 'z,' and then on the bottom you should see a 'k' or something to see a list of kills that unit has made.  If you just want to see what fighting has happened recently, hit 'r' from the main screen, scroll to a fight and hit 'Enter'

Edited for mistakes due to bad case of Kobold-brain.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2011, 05:56:32 pm by Xen0n »

nightwhips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15089 on: September 14, 2011, 05:42:26 pm »

Thanks!

I think I was checking a few dwarves with no kills, so it doesn't give the option for them.

Also, "v" over the unit, not "q", but I understood perfectly.
: Miner dwarves? In my volcano?

:I put childs into danger room...
They die, and their parents care nothing because legendary dining room.
Pages: 1 ... 1004 1005 [1006] 1007 1008 ... 1178