Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1000 1001 [1002] 1003 1004 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1126059 times)

Valdrax

• Bay Watcher
  • HUGE ELF (bluh bluh)
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #15015 on: September 09, 2011, 11:59:59 pm »

Two questions:

1)  If you designate your Captain of the Guard as a crossbow user, will he hammer with the crossbow or shoot it at offenders?
2)  Which is the worse material for bludgeoning (i.e. the best for a hammerer/captain)?  Bone or wood?
The history of a good fortress is not written in blood, it's painted on the walls by the hand of a melancholy orphan.

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15016 on: September 10, 2011, 12:46:45 am »

Two questions:

1)  If you designate your Captain of the Guard as a crossbow user, will he hammer with the crossbow or shoot it at offenders?
2)  Which is the worse material for bludgeoning (i.e. the best for a hammerer/captain)?  Bone or wood?

1) Hammer with the crossbow.

2) Not totally sure, but I suspect that it depends on the type of wood.  For instance, featherwood is almost certainly less effective for bludgeoning than bone, but bloodthorn is probably superior.
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...<P>It should be pretty fun though.

Valdrax

• Bay Watcher
  • HUGE ELF (bluh bluh)
    • View Profile
« Reply #15017 on: September 10, 2011, 02:21:08 am »

2) Not totally sure, but I suspect that it depends on the type of wood.  For instance, featherwood is almost certainly less effective for bludgeoning than bone, but bloodthorn is probably superior.
Crap.  I forgot that woods vary.  So, I dug into the raws and found the answer myself.  With a solid density of 500, bone is equal to the most common wood density number.  Given my lack of featherwood (100 density), I'll see if I can't get him a cedar bow for its 380 density.
The history of a good fortress is not written in blood, it's painted on the walls by the hand of a melancholy orphan.

plynxis

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh god I'm so tired, leave me alone...
    • View Profile
« Reply #15018 on: September 10, 2011, 05:38:00 am »

If you designate your Captain of the Guard as a crossbow user, will he hammer with the crossbow or shoot it at offenders?
Hammer with the crossbow.

by necessity? i've got two squads with both melee and ranged weapons - i assigned them ammo and they both train properly and shoot properly like marksdwarves and its a very low skill compared to other combat skills for most of them. is it the captain in particular?

edit - ok, offenders; they attack enemies and dwarf offenders differently?

edit2 - on my previous question, just so you guys know all the dwarves that were left around, including another one who survived more or less ok, went berzerk and one just went mad. they killed one that was left nearby and hadnt gone berzerk yet (biting fest) and now they're all dead. i uploaded the save on dffd and linked it to mantis
« Last Edit: September 10, 2011, 05:53:10 am by plynxis »
What? Go away, I'm sleep deprived...

winginson

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #15019 on: September 10, 2011, 06:58:16 am »

I don't know if my DF is bugged or I'm doing stuff wrong but;

My combat reports don't have a message saying when something was killed, even when I can see the body being carted away afterwards.

Also it doesn't seem to display a in combat message. I thought I had a peaceful fort goingbut when I pressed "r" I found 14 pages of combat reports.

plynxis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15020 on: September 10, 2011, 06:59:53 am »

it doesnt always mention the death event in the combat log, sometimes (pretty often actually) just the last combat event before death.

on the other thing, you mean there is no C displayed when there are new combat reports?

winginson

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #15021 on: September 10, 2011, 07:08:34 am »

No, as far as I can tell nothing changes. Apart from the growing mound of corpses.

plynxis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15022 on: September 10, 2011, 07:23:25 am »

strange, maybe you announcements.txt has something wrong with it?

Horribleaccount

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #15023 on: September 10, 2011, 07:43:23 am »

Do I get an anvil back if I deconstruct a metalsmith forge?

plynxis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15024 on: September 10, 2011, 08:00:16 am »

yeah pretty sure you get all the parts of a building when you deconstruct it.

Raoucus

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #15025 on: September 10, 2011, 08:24:08 am »

How do I raise the elevation of an area?

I know you can dig a channel to lower the elevation (at least that's how I do it, I'm still super new to this game, just started today), but how would I, say, put the ground back into the channel to bring that space back up one level? It seems hard to believe that if you kept digging you would eventually evaporate the entire world because you can't put dirt and rock back where you got it (or something to that effect).

Anyone?

Eктωρ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15026 on: September 10, 2011, 08:31:45 am »

b-C-w
Ektor is in a constant state of internal rage

Mister Always

• Bay Watcher
  • SQUARE-GO LIKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #15027 on: September 10, 2011, 08:33:10 am »

Can steam exist aboveground, and does it spread through grates?
"""The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit." - W. Somerset Maugham" -Forumite" -Mister Always

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile
« Reply #15028 on: September 10, 2011, 09:30:16 am »

How do I raise the elevation of an area?

I know you can dig a channel to lower the elevation (at least that's how I do it, I'm still super new to this game, just started today), but how would I, say, put the ground back into the channel to bring that space back up one level? It seems hard to believe that if you kept digging you would eventually evaporate the entire world because you can't put dirt and rock back where you got it (or something to that effect).

Anyone?

You can fill in space with constructions, but you can't put mined dirt or stone back so that it's the same as it was before.
But .... It's so small!
It's not the size of the pick that counts... it's the size of the man with the pick.
Quote from: Toady One
Naturally, we'd like to make life miserable for everybody, randomly, but that'll take some doing.

blue emu

• Bay Watcher
  • GroFAZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #15029 on: September 10, 2011, 11:16:11 am »

Do stairs conduct pressurized liquids?

I am trying to make a Pressurized-Magma Volcano. I'd like to know if the vertical part of the Magma conduit can be made of stairs instead of channels.

I am aware of course that stairs allow liquids to pass... the question is: do they retain pressure?
Never pet a burning dog.

Pages: 1 ... 1000 1001 [1002] 1003 1004 ... 1178