Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 991 992 [993] 994 995 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1126372 times)

franti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #14880 on: September 04, 2011, 10:01:30 am »

Do tin ores always come along with copper ones? Or am I doomed to a bronze-less fortress?
IRL they never showed up together. IDF, if you dig deep enough you'll hit granite (tin/bismuth)
Adamantine, Steel, Pig Iron, Iron, Bronze, Bismuth Bronze, Platinum, Brass, Black Bronze, Billon, Rose Gold, Electrum, Bismuth, Aluminum, Gold, Copper, Tin, Sterling Silver, Silver, Nickel, Zinc, Lead, Nickel Silver, Trifle Pewter, Fine Pewter, Lay Pewter.

NGgod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14881 on: September 04, 2011, 11:17:16 am »

What pile section is raw Adamantine under? i can find it under stone anywhere.

MalleusManus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14882 on: September 04, 2011, 11:30:36 am »

I just found out after many hours of play that the Dwarves have no king, which I am told will keep me from progressing in some way with my fortress. So my question is - is there a thread with instructions on how to mod in a king so I can progress?

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #14883 on: September 04, 2011, 11:33:51 am »

No.

Your Entity file already has the position of king defined, so that won't help you.  You could edit the entity raw to make the position of king manually appointed, but entity raw changes require a worldgen, so you can't do that on your current game.

However, lacking a king only really hurts you in that you can't have the king join your fortress.  He doesn't really do anything.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile
« Reply #14884 on: September 04, 2011, 03:58:19 pm »

What pile section is raw Adamantine under? i can find it under stone anywhere.

Stone.
But .... It's so small!
It's not the size of the pick that counts... it's the size of the man with the pick.
Quote from: Toady One
Naturally, we'd like to make life miserable for everybody, randomly, but that'll take some doing.

Kofthefens

• Bay Watcher
  • Keep calm and OH GOD CAPYBARAS
    • View Profile
    • Marshland Games
« Reply #14885 on: September 04, 2011, 04:16:03 pm »

For several seasons in a row, I haven't gotten any migrants (I have 11 dwarfs). Also, the first dwarf caravan never left. Are these two things related, and how can I get more dwarfs?
I don't care about your indigestion-- How are you is a greeting, not a question.

The epic of Îton Sákrith
The Chronicles of HammerBlaze
My website - Free games

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14886 on: September 04, 2011, 04:37:36 pm »

More dwarfs you say?

1. Mod dwarfs to produce lots of babies, increase speed of maturation. Profit.

2. Copy the dwarf raws over one of your pets raws (or tame something you catch then do it to them), then use Dfusion to make them workers. Presto a race of slave "dwarfs". It might be good to call them "Dorfs" or something.

Possibly the home civ got wiped out in a war or something.

Try caging, modding and taming the caravan occupants too.

agvkrioni

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14887 on: September 04, 2011, 06:50:35 pm »

Do invisible enemies (goblin/kobold thieves) trigger pressure plate traps?

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #14888 on: September 04, 2011, 07:00:09 pm »

Do invisible enemies (goblin/kobold thieves) trigger pressure plate traps?

Goblins will.  Kobolds never trigger pressure plates, because they have trapavoid.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #14889 on: September 04, 2011, 07:26:24 pm »

How can one add a weapon to a vanilla game? Like modding in a Longbow, different from a bow. Do you have to regen the world and maybe put some tokens in so the game will recognize the new item?

franti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14890 on: September 04, 2011, 10:51:50 pm »

How can one add a weapon to a vanilla game? Like modding in a Longbow, different from a bow. Do you have to regen the world and maybe put some tokens in so the game will recognize the new item?
Yes. You make a new bow in the item_weapon folder, and add the tags for it under the entity section. You'll need a re-gen.
Adamantine, Steel, Pig Iron, Iron, Bronze, Bismuth Bronze, Platinum, Brass, Black Bronze, Billon, Rose Gold, Electrum, Bismuth, Aluminum, Gold, Copper, Tin, Sterling Silver, Silver, Nickel, Zinc, Lead, Nickel Silver, Trifle Pewter, Fine Pewter, Lay Pewter.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #14891 on: September 05, 2011, 01:05:52 am »

Yes. You make a new bow in the item_weapon folder, and add the tags for it under the entity section. You'll need a re-gen.

Thanks!!  :)

Pukako

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14892 on: September 05, 2011, 04:01:25 am »

I 'accidentally' set the outside world on fire, with magma.  Now FPS has dropped to 2 as the world burns.  It never used to do this, even on my older, slower computer.

Something normal, or a problem with the software?

Because DF players are heavily into pain.

JAFANZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14893 on: September 05, 2011, 04:01:56 am »

So I've decided to take my 1st stab at a Poulty/Egg industry for my new fort, but I need to check something...

Assuming I manage to actually get some of the eggs fertilised, does the chamber containing the nest box need to have enough additional space for the hatchlings to hatch into?

i.e. Blue Peafowl lay upto 8 eggs, so does that mean I need to allow 9 (upto 8 hatchlings + Mother) extra tiles (minimum) in the chamber I put the nestbox in?

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile
« Reply #14894 on: September 05, 2011, 07:29:52 am »

It depends whether you care if the animals fight eachother. I keep all species of all my birds in an 11x11 room with four nestboxes. I don't watch numbers. Don't forget you only need one male on the map to have your females laying fertilised eggs.

Some people like to lock one hen in a room with a nestbox to keep producing chicks. I can't be bothered with that myself. I just occasionaly (t)ask over the nestboxes, and if there are any eggs in there and no dwarf is on his/her way to collect the eggs, as shown by their being TSKed, I forbid the clutch of eggs. Every now and then, you get more chicks. I like turkeys as my main bird. They're big, lay lots of eggs, and the eggs seem to hatch quickly.

Don't have a big pasture with lots of birds and lots of nestboxes in. If you have too many nestboxes, dwarves will not collect all the eggs that will be laid, resulting in the sudden arrival of many chicks. These chicks may mature and start laying, resulting in chicksplosion.
But .... It's so small!
It's not the size of the pick that counts... it's the size of the man with the pick.
Quote from: Toady One
Naturally, we'd like to make life miserable for everybody, randomly, but that'll take some doing.
Pages: 1 ... 991 992 [993] 994 995 ... 1178