Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 990 991 [992] 993 994 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1126361 times)

Xen0n

• Bay Watcher
  • Took joy in ‼SCIENCE‼ lately.
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #14865 on: September 03, 2011, 10:11:53 am »

Fortress mode dwarves only increase attributes with military skill improvements.
Damn, so pumping one lake into another and back does not upgrade this wuss' very weakness? :(

Actually, as was mentioned a little earlier in this thread, I believe it's thought that performing a task from a skill linked an attribute (Strength, memory, etc.) will also raise that attribute over time.

You can see on the wiki which skills will train which attributes, and also which attributes are important for which skills:
http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Attribute#Attributes_trained_by_skills

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #14866 on: September 03, 2011, 11:47:04 am »

Do world size and history lenght affect FPS both in fortress mode and in adventure mode?
Not significantly.  There may be an occasional increase in processing time when the game is deciding which megabeast or goblin leader is going to visit your fortress, but it shouldn't affect your normal day to day FPS.  It will change how long it takes to save or load the game file however.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Ploder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14867 on: September 03, 2011, 01:41:20 pm »

I'm having a really hard time getting dwarves to use the dining rooms I'm making for them. For my starting seven, I built 5 rock tables, put them in a generously sized hall, designated each one a dining room, but the dwarves are still eating wherever they happen to get hungry--sometimes outside, sometimes at their workshops, NEVER at the dining room tables.

Also, every dwarf is complaining about the lack of dining room tables.

Huh?!

Stormfeather

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14868 on: September 03, 2011, 02:36:21 pm »

First, make sure you're not assigning the dining rooms to anyone.

Second, I do it a bit differently from you: For one thing, instead of multiple rooms around each table, I just make the whole big hall one dining room, which should be better (once the dwarves start eating there) since it can look at the whole room for its value/how nice it is, and thus how much the dwarves like eating there. I think.

And third, make sure that the dining room(s) is/are a meeting area. Not sure how much effect that has, but I'd imagine it should draw more of the dwarves there to eat.

Drawde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14869 on: September 03, 2011, 03:30:41 pm »

Just designate an entire room, with all the tables and chairs, as a dining room (from one table) or a meeting area ('I' menu).  The meeting area way prevents parties from springing up.

Also, use one chair next to each table.  The dwarves prefer sitting next to the tables, and each table can only be used by one dwarf at a time.

Zeebie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14870 on: September 03, 2011, 04:00:51 pm »

My baroness wants pig iron items, but none of my workshops seem to have anything they can make out of pig iron. Any solution?

Ploder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14871 on: September 03, 2011, 04:17:26 pm »

Trying to mine up a few levels to search for sedimentary layers (and, hopefully, iron). But it won't let me install an up staircase. Is it impossible to mine up?

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14872 on: September 03, 2011, 04:36:25 pm »

My baroness wants pig iron items, but none of my workshops seem to have anything they can make out of pig iron. Any solution?
It's a noble who likes a materiel that it's impossible to make stuff out of.  The only way to satisfy a mandate like that is to make pig iron bars, the process of creating the bars themselves count last I checked.

Trying to mine up a few levels to search for sedimentary layers (and, hopefully, iron). But it won't let me install an up staircase. Is it impossible to mine up?
Build or dig an upward staircase below where you want the downward staircase to be.  If the tile is already mined out you need to construct one,(b-C-u) if not you can just tell your miners to dig an upward stair and then a downward stair on the z-level above it.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2011, 04:39:01 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Table Turning

• Bay Watcher
  • Turnways.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14873 on: September 03, 2011, 04:42:47 pm »

Why does my dwarven civ seem to be both lead and attacked by twilight monsters?
Thats another use for useless immigrants.

Eктωρ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14874 on: September 03, 2011, 05:45:14 pm »

A clow took over in world gen, pretty rare for dwarfs.

As the guy above said, make bars, be thankful she likes something so useful instead of lay pewter.
Ektor is in a constant state of internal rage

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #14875 on: September 03, 2011, 05:53:10 pm »

Why does my dwarven civ seem to be both lead and attacked by twilight monsters?

In DF, when a entity is converted into a night creature, all mentions of them in history portray change to refer them to their new status.  So, if one of your kings gets converted, and you look at your history, all the records of his life will refer to him as a twilight monster or whatever, rather than a dwarf.

Your civilization's leaders were each consistently attacked by and converted into night creatures.  This tends to happen a lot.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Table Turning

• Bay Watcher
  • Turnways.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14876 on: September 03, 2011, 06:19:00 pm »

Huh.

That explains why there have been like 20 different kings and queens of this civ, the current one being a drunk.
Thats another use for useless immigrants.

Blurk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14877 on: September 04, 2011, 04:39:44 am »

Im making a fortress but dont want to go grow to big , so i set the pop cap to 60, normally its 200.
im on 73 dwarves now and just got another wave of migrants.
what am i doing wrong?

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #14878 on: September 04, 2011, 05:44:56 am »

The population cap is more like a guideline than an actual rule.

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile
« Reply #14879 on: September 04, 2011, 08:40:36 am »

I'm having some trouble with a couple of hunters that I decided to make marksdwarves. I'm not sure if it's one or both of them, but they seem to loiter in one spot for a while, doing something with their equipment, but I can't figure out what. The hunting labour is disabled and I've set hunters to have no ammo. I don't use hunters in this fort. It's annoying because I can't get them to train. I've not had this specific problem before. I know there are some issues relating to hunters and military marksdwarves, but I've forgotten what they are, and can't find references. Any suggestions? I want to extricate all the hunterness from the dwarves in question. When they hover in one spot, I usually forbid the tile and reclaim it later. Note; I once saw this dwarf wearing an artifact quiver not assigned to him/her. Could it be something to do with that?

EDIT: nvm, he's not a hunter, whatever's going on is wierder than that. Possibly a training room issue.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2011, 10:01:20 am by Buttery_Mess »
But .... It's so small!
It's not the size of the pick that counts... it's the size of the man with the pick.
Quote from: Toady One
Naturally, we'd like to make life miserable for everybody, randomly, but that'll take some doing.
Pages: 1 ... 990 991 [992] 993 994 ... 1178