Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 987 988 [989] 990 991 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1126453 times)

Imminent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #14820 on: September 01, 2011, 09:37:32 pm »

Is it possible to modify the raws to increase an attribute cap beyond 5000?

« Last Edit: September 01, 2011, 10:29:22 pm by Imminent »

UristMcDonald

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14821 on: September 01, 2011, 11:26:02 pm »

I am breeding wild animals. Will having a bunch of wild animals in a pit prevent more from spawning?

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #14822 on: September 02, 2011, 12:00:58 am »

My brain just exploded.
This changes everything.  No more big three tile wide holes needed...
At least not right now, hopefully traders get fixed eventually.

I am breeding wild animals. Will having a bunch of wild animals in a pit prevent more from spawning?
If too many animals are crammed into a small space they will start to lash out at one another, potentially killing other animals. Other than that though there is no limit.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14823 on: September 02, 2011, 12:18:58 am »

I'm thinking about luring in Kobold sieges. I've read they have to successfully steal lots of stuff for that. Question is, is it the quantity or the monetary value that matters? In other words, if I make a stockpile outside my walls stuffed with items I don't need and they are welcome to steal, should it be a dumping place of all low-quality crafts, or just one masterwork blue peahen egg roast?
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

rhesusmacabre

• Bay Watcher
  • UNDEAD-CANNOT BE ATTACKED
    • View Profile
« Reply #14824 on: September 02, 2011, 02:53:39 am »

I'm pretty sure it's just value, although they just send ambushes rather than whole sieges. I've had them steal a single artifact before and have it be enough. (I'd just had a tantrum spiral and was down to just three dwarves, so the thief had no problems.)
« Last Edit: September 02, 2011, 02:56:13 am by rhesusmacabre »

Table Turning

• Bay Watcher
  • Turnways.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14825 on: September 02, 2011, 03:13:25 am »

Apparently, this goblin snatcher that was just caught in one of my foward cage traps is a "Master" thief.

Does this mean anything in terms of gameplay?  Is he the ultimate goblin pedophile snatcher?
Thats another use for useless immigrants.

Sovereign

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #14826 on: September 02, 2011, 06:22:31 am »

I want to create a world with lots of cotton candy, someone knows a thread floating around by chance? 

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14827 on: September 02, 2011, 06:50:38 am »

Apparently, this goblin snatcher that was just caught in one of my foward cage traps is a "Master" thief.

Does this mean anything in terms of gameplay?  Is he the ultimate goblin pedophile snatcher?

He looks like a ninja with Phoebus graphics   ;) And I guess he's better at getting out of the cage when my dorfs mass-pit him, based on my little experience. If disarmed, he'll be carved up just fine by any military or war animals.
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #14828 on: September 02, 2011, 07:49:26 am »

Yes.  There is a limit to the number of groups of wild animals which can be on the map at once, and until all members of a group of animals leave the map no new group will spawn to replace them.  If you're breeding wild animals in a pit, that counts against the limit, and new ones won't appear on the map edge.

If too many animals are crammed into a small space they will start to lash out at one another, potentially killing other animals. Other than that though there is no limit.

Actually, only tame animals fight each other when confined.  You can have any number of wild animals crammed into a single tile and they won't fight each other.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14829 on: September 02, 2011, 09:49:51 am »

Is there some sort of script which makes masons stick to certain subject in making their statues? Because my stoneworker has made six statues now, four of which were of Spos the Grumbling Troll wandering the The Folded Swamp in a time before time. And one of the engravings he's made is of the same Spos. (The other statues were of Ice Wolves and one of my manager being surrounded by toads, naturally.)
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #14830 on: September 02, 2011, 11:05:03 am »

Nope, its just a term that tends to be applied to goblin snatchers.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14831 on: September 02, 2011, 11:54:14 am »

Is there some sort of script which makes masons stick to certain subject in making their statues? Because my stoneworker has made six statues now, four of which were of Spos the Grumbling Troll wandering the The Folded Swamp in a time before time. And one of the engravings he's made is of the same Spos. (The other statues were of Ice Wolves and one of my manager being surrounded by toads, naturally.)
Engravings/statues/images and the like draw from the history of the site your fortress is a part of.
So that means that Spos wandering The Folded Swamp is one of very few events that have happened in The Folded Swamp, the settling of your fortress and appointment of nobles being other notable events.

agvkrioni

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14832 on: September 02, 2011, 12:15:50 pm »

How does one disarm a caged goblin prisoner?

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14833 on: September 02, 2011, 12:28:28 pm »

How does one disarm a caged goblin prisoner?
[d]->[ b ]->[c] to claim the cage's contents, then [d]->[ b ]->[d] to dump the tile.
Remember to either claim the cage itself, or build it first to keep the dwarves from dumping it.

agvkrioni

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14834 on: September 02, 2011, 12:30:42 pm »

Why would I initiate a dump? So they go and grab the contents to remove it? I should get rid of that garbage-dump-over-magma zone first.
Pages: 1 ... 987 988 [989] 990 991 ... 1178