Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 986 987 [988] 989 990 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1126450 times)

TheFlummox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #14805 on: September 01, 2011, 05:26:51 pm »

My first little question on this new account: how can I quickly mod in the ability for dwarfs to forge large daggers? I've never in my life edited the raws before.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #14806 on: September 01, 2011, 05:31:39 pm »

This is probably a stupid question, and I haven't really tried anything yet, but how do you catch a fish in a cage?

Vermin size fish, or creature size fish?  Vermin size fish are what your fisherdwarves catch.  These are the small kind which teleport around and don't attack dwarves or cause job interruptions.  These can be caught live with the 'capture live fish' job, an animal trap, and a dwarf with the Trapper skill.

Creature size fish - the kind that cause job interruptions and attack your dwarves - can be caught in cage traps.  Of course, the cage trap needs to be in the water where the fish can swim onto it, and then you need to pump or drain the water off the cage trap so your dwarves can get to the cage and transport it out of there.  This usually means some kind of airlock system where you can let the fish you want to catch into the trap room, then close the exit and drain the water out once they're caught.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Eктωρ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14807 on: September 01, 2011, 05:36:53 pm »

If after finding the cotton candy I dig a tunnel to it, like

££££££££
£!!FUN!!£
£!!FUN!!£
£!!FUN!!£
££££££££
   |...|
   |...|

and then but a raising bridge

££££££££
£!!FUN!!£
£!!FUN!!£
£!!FUN!!£
££££££££
   |...|
   |...|
   ===

If I link to a lever, it will turn into a wall, so in case I breach into the circus, would this be an efficient way of keeping the clowns out?

« Last Edit: September 01, 2011, 05:43:28 pm by Eктωρ »
Ektor is in a constant state of internal rage

Jashuir

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #14808 on: September 01, 2011, 05:37:00 pm »

This is probably a stupid question, and I haven't really tried anything yet, but how do you catch a fish in a cage?

Vermin size fish, or creature size fish?  Vermin size fish are what your fisherdwarves catch.  These are the small kind which teleport around and don't attack dwarves or cause job interruptions.  These can be caught live with the 'capture live fish' job, an animal trap, and a dwarf with the Trapper skill.

Creature size fish - the kind that cause job interruptions and attack your dwarves - can be caught in cage traps.  Of course, the cage trap needs to be in the water where the fish can swim onto it, and then you need to pump or drain the water off the cage trap so your dwarves can get to the cage and transport it out of there.  This usually means some kind of airlock system where you can let the fish you want to catch into the trap room, then close the exit and drain the water out once they're caught.

Alright, thank you.

Xen0n

• Bay Watcher
  • Took joy in ‼SCIENCE‼ lately.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14809 on: September 01, 2011, 06:05:31 pm »

If after finding the cotton candy I dig a tunnel to it, like

££££££££
£!!FUN!!£
£!!FUN!!£
£!!FUN!!£
££££££££
   |...|
   |...|

and then but a raising bridge

££££££££
£!!FUN!!£
£!!FUN!!£
£!!FUN!!£
££££££££
   |...|
   |...|
   ===

If I link to a lever, it will turn into a wall, so in case I breach into the circus, would this be an efficient way of keeping the clowns out?

Yes, that should work.  Build the bridge raising direction
|
V
(downwards)
just in case, as I've heard you want the the edge that becomes a wall to be facing the 'safe side' of a bridge, just to be safe from possible building destroyers.

Just make sure you close that bridge in time!  In my case I accidentally arrived at the circus early, and so had masons seal the shaft leading there... some 30~40 z levels away.  I suggest having one or two 'backup bridges' much farther away from the candy, but still in the same shaft.

Eктωρ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14810 on: September 01, 2011, 06:20:29 pm »

Do dorfs trigges pressure plates? Because I could just do like

!!FUN!!
|O|
|  |
|=|
|  |
|  |
|  |
|=|------ó

So the clows would step in the pressure plate just in the start of the shaft, and a bridge halfway the shaft would trigger, trapping them inside, as a sefety measure there could be another bridge in the end of the shaft triggered by lever.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #14811 on: September 01, 2011, 06:28:28 pm »

Dwarves trigger pressure plates if the pressure plates are set to be triggered by citizens.

Clowns do not trigger pressure plates.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Xen0n

• Bay Watcher
  • Took joy in ‼SCIENCE‼ lately.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14812 on: September 01, 2011, 06:31:08 pm »

Also, I haven't used pressure plates, but I believe they send a signal to open the bridge when stepped on, then automatically reset and lower the bridge again once something steps off the plate.  So that may be a bad thing for a clown-proofing system.

Not sure though.

Eктωρ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14813 on: September 01, 2011, 06:32:48 pm »

It takes 100 steps or so for the bridge to trigger too.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #14814 on: September 01, 2011, 07:41:09 pm »

My first little question on this new account: how can I quickly mod in the ability for dwarfs to forge large daggers? I've never in my life edited the raws before.

Go into the entity_default.txt and add [WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_DAGGER_LARGE] to the dwarven entity (MOUNTAIN). Then gen a world in order to see the effects. If you want to add it to a world that currently exists then go into the raws and find the save file for that world and add it to that set of raws instead.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Table Turning

• Bay Watcher
  • Turnways.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14815 on: September 01, 2011, 08:16:10 pm »

Alright, since I've been using the "D" command to determine if my trade depot is reachable for the longest time, I've heard that merchants won't bring wagons ever.

Do they actually need the special wide areas to get to your depot?
Thats another use for useless immigrants.

Eктωρ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14816 on: September 01, 2011, 08:17:10 pm »

No, but they need ramps.

Table Turning

• Bay Watcher
  • Turnways.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14817 on: September 01, 2011, 08:18:54 pm »

How about doors, can they use those?

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14818 on: September 01, 2011, 08:22:34 pm »

Yes.

Table Turning

• Bay Watcher
  • Turnways.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14819 on: September 01, 2011, 08:23:53 pm »

My brain just exploded.
This changes everything.  No more big three tile wide holes needed...
Pages: 1 ... 986 987 [988] 989 990 ... 1178