Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 985 986 [987] 988 989 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1126548 times)

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #14790 on: September 01, 2011, 12:02:58 pm »

Effectiveness of warhammers is determined by density.  Electrum has a density of 15000.  Silver, the heaviest metal that you can normally make weapons from, has a density of 10490.  So Electrum will make a very, very good warhammer.  Not as good as Platinum, but better than any you can make without a strange mood.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Kento

• Bay Watcher
  • Magma and magma accessories.
    • View Profile
    • Uglorable
« Reply #14791 on: September 01, 2011, 12:06:03 pm »

ah, that's slightly inconvenient. bars are kept in bins, right? dumping bins wouldn't be a huge hassle, but ill have to really make sure i have a huge surplus of coal so they dont try to path to distant coal above, or just dump logs and only make charcoal near the furnaces...

would this work, though? the fortress would span a large area, but individual dwarves wouldn't have to travel very far to get what they need. each cube, maybe 6x6x6 for the small ones, 9x9x9 for larger ones, would be largely self-sufficient after completed, each having a still, kitchen, a few farm plots, some poultry and a nest box, and one cube citizen would have the cook, brewer, and grower labors. after set up, citizens would not need to path to even get armor or weapons, as the cubes would, unless a titan or forgotten beast appeared, and the entrances were not protected by webbed cage traps, be pretty safe. they would not need to go to the hospital for the same reason. haulers would have high pathing costs, and it might cost a bit to route to the trade depot, but with a restricted traffic designation at the first and last square of the corridor, and maybe four or five in around cavern "entrances," i dont think the problem would be huge.

Kento

• Bay Watcher
  • Magma and magma accessories.
    • View Profile
    • Uglorable
« Reply #14792 on: September 01, 2011, 12:07:12 pm »

Perhaps this isn't so much of a little question anymore.

Idea continued here.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=92375.0
« Last Edit: September 01, 2011, 12:44:57 pm by Kento »

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #14793 on: September 01, 2011, 12:13:50 pm »

I typically play on a 1280x720 monitor, and with ASCII I can zoom enough to read things clearly.  However, with any graphics set, of any tile size (even modified tile sizes of 45x45 or larger, some of which I enlarged myself with graphics editing programs), everything is too small and I need to squint and can't read well.  I've tried editing the init file for the resolution / grid size, black space Yes/No, changing the Print Mode, Windowed/fullscreen, even raising/lowering the resolution of my monitor.  In the end, the physical size of the tiles, when measured by a wooden ruler against the screen, is always the same, and tiny.

(Changing to a large, 45x45 tileset for example, will make the initial window have large tiles, but the window spills off the screen and as soon as I touch it or resize or go to fullscreen it reverts to the same tiny tiles.  Especially strange is that changing my monitor resolution down to 800x600 still keeps tiny tiles.)
Have you tried zooming in or out with the mouse scroll wheel?
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Xen0n

• Bay Watcher
  • Took joy in ‼SCIENCE‼ lately.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14794 on: September 01, 2011, 12:21:08 pm »

Yup,  :P first thing I usually try.  With ASCII if I zoom 1 notch away from max (just before it starts stretching all the tiles vertically) it's just big enough, but with anything else even maxed and stretched it's still too small.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #14795 on: September 01, 2011, 12:37:27 pm »

Yup,  :P first thing I usually try.  With ASCII if I zoom 1 notch away from max (just before it starts stretching all the tiles vertically) it's just big enough, but with anything else even maxed and stretched it's still too small.

Go to the older versions download page.

Download .31.06

Go to data/art and copy "curses_800x600" over to your current version of DF. Replace the old art file.

If my guess is right, this will make the game scale properly- if it doesn't, try with .31.01. I forget why this works, it has something to do with an odd bug- Toady used to kludge his way around it by fiddling with the tileset (the tileset you just copied over, in fact,) but in one of the releases (I think it was the early teens? I know he discussed it in one of the release threads) he went back to having DF figure it out itself.

Make sure you copy that file over whenever you download a new version, and no I have no idea how to make a graphical tileset work. I'd ask in the specific thread of the tileset you want to use. This is one of the reasons I play with ASCII- I have this issue as well.

Xen0n

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14796 on: September 01, 2011, 01:03:25 pm »

Oh cool, thanks.  Will try that first thing tonight.  Does the "(Small)" version mean anything, or should I just download the "Legacy Windows"? 
e.g.

DF 0.31.06 (June 9, 2010)
Legacy Windows (Small) : SDL Windows (Small) : Linux : Mac

"Small" and "Legacy Windows" are two different links.

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14797 on: September 01, 2011, 01:03:40 pm »

Constructions (walls, floors, ramps, stairs) are indestructible to anything but cave-ins.  You can hold back a magma flood with a wall made from wood if you like.
Awesome. Thank you.
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #14798 on: September 01, 2011, 01:05:51 pm »

I think that the (small) version just doesn't include sound, so since all you are using is the tileset you should be fine download that. I'm not positive though (I've never downloaded the small version before).
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14799 on: September 01, 2011, 01:18:16 pm »

Babies without parents can't drink anything, can they? :(
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

Jashuir

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #14800 on: September 01, 2011, 02:29:48 pm »

This is probably a stupid question, and I haven't really tried anything yet, but how do you catch a fish in a cage?

I have a feeling this involves traps built in rivers.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14801 on: September 01, 2011, 02:44:21 pm »

That's correct.  Unless it grows into a child very very soon, it's a goner.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14802 on: September 01, 2011, 02:46:35 pm »

He's only eight months and thirsty as is, so I suppose he'll die in short time.  :'(

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #14803 on: September 01, 2011, 02:49:30 pm »

Oh cool, thanks.  Will try that first thing tonight.  Does the "(Small)" version mean anything, or should I just download the "Legacy Windows"? 
e.g.

DF 0.31.06 (June 9, 2010)
Legacy Windows (Small) : SDL Windows (Small) : Linux : Mac

"Small" and "Legacy Windows" are two different links.

Whoops, been a while since I've done this- like I said, I've been hanging on to the same file for a few versions now. Disregard previous instructions.

Step 1: Download 31.13 SDL version (small is fine, it's just the sound-free version- we're looking for the art.) .06 doesn't work because Toady forgot to include the SDL credits for .06-.12, so he removed those links.

Step 2: in data/art, there are two files named "curses_800x600"- you're looking for the .png file. It should look long and skinny compared to the other, and it is also much smaller- 2.4 KB as opposed to 90 KB. Copy that to the art folder of your current version of DF.

Step 3: in data/init, change [FONT:] to read [FONT:curses_800x600.png] - this will make DF use that new file instead of the bitmap version that comes with the regular download.

Step 4: Profit! Enjoy your game of DF.

Again, I don't remember why this works, I just know it does. I'm halfway tempted to go find the release thread in which this changed, but I'm feeling lazy (hence my half-assed previous attempt.)

I've had one baby drink something, many forts ago. But yeah, the overwhelming majority of babies die of thirst since dwarves will not feed or water them, and the babies themselves tend to fall off cliffs and into wells. Wait, the wiki has informed me that behavior is only in 40d. In 2010 babies will not kill themselves, but they will not feed/water themselves- other dwarves should help them, although I haven't myself seen it. I'd hazard a guess and say the Feed Wounded job under Healthcare is the appropriate labor (on by default.)

Xen0n

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14804 on: September 01, 2011, 05:08:39 pm »

Okay, thanks monk, I just tried that out and it's the first thing I've tried that actually changes anything!
But...  Maybe I'm having a different problem than you had, but when I follow those steps, it seems to result in the same maximum tilesize, although curiously zooming out first shortens the horizontal axis for a while before zooming out both axes at the same time (with the default setup, when zoomed in all the way, zooming out first shortens the vertical axis before zooming out both axes).

So it definitely had an effect, just not on the maximum zoom level I could reach.  But fiddling with what you suggested also gave me a bit of breakthrough, it seems that I am actually getting the same tile size with ASCII or graphics packs, but the higher detail of the graphics packs makes everything seem smaller and harder to make out... it's much easier to distinguish a 'g' from a 'H' from far away than the tell the difference between the detailed coloured sprites. 

So in the end it seems the hardcoded 80 tile limit is my enemy (I often play on a couch with a wireless keyboard/mouse set and at that distance things are too small.)

tl;dr 
Thanks a ton monk, but I've run up against the 80 tile limit now :P
Pages: 1 ... 985 986 [987] 988 989 ... 1178