Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 984 985 [986] 987 988 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1126539 times)

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #14775 on: August 31, 2011, 06:01:00 pm »

I have cagetrapped a Minotaur with no casualties, added [PET] to it's raws, and it was successfully tamed, but it slaughtered my dorfs when they removed the (name, name) Minotaur (Tame) from it's cage. Was one of the names a guy killed during worldgen by this bull, or there is another reason why it stayed hostile?

Is it possible to breed normal, tame Minotaurs if I capture one more of the opposite sex, or the offspring will also be not-quite-tame?
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #14776 on: August 31, 2011, 07:24:53 pm »

Named animals that are hostile to your fort will remain so even after they are tamed, the only difference being that since they are tamed dwarves will be content to run happily to their slaughter instead of fleeing from the deadly beast. As for its offspring, I believe they will act tame just fine and won't be deadly monsters.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Zeebie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14777 on: August 31, 2011, 07:55:41 pm »

If only the dwarf civilzation appears when I press "c", does that mean I will go through the game without caravans or sieges? Or do civs appear on the list as the game goes on?

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #14778 on: August 31, 2011, 08:22:46 pm »

The 'c' screen only shows a civilization after a member of that civilization has been on your map.  More civilizations will appear over a few years as your map gets visited.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Imminent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14779 on: August 31, 2011, 09:39:43 pm »

How do dwarves build attributes like disease resistance, recuperation, and mental attributes?

onarum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14780 on: August 31, 2011, 10:29:28 pm »

Named animals that are hostile to your fort will remain so even after they are tamed, the only difference being that since they are tamed dwarves will be content to run happily to their slaughter instead of fleeing from the deadly beast. As for its offspring, I believe they will act tame just fine and won't be deadly monsters.

Not necessarily, I have a named (pretty long name too) hydra walking around my fort for a while now, it was captured without being injured and before having the chance to attack anything so that may have something to do with it, before that there was another hydra that managed to kill a cat before being captured, I tamed it and once released it immediately started attacking.

Not sure about minotaurs though, maybe they'll be hostile no matter what, hydras already have the PET tag by default.

agvkrioni

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14781 on: August 31, 2011, 11:39:50 pm »

Fought another Forgotten Beast. It exuded a poisonous miasma. I don't know if it paralyzed, but it got in the lungs of animals and dwarves and killed them. I lost 20 people to that beast. NONE in combat. All of them died from the dust cloud.

Was there anyway to avoid those deaths? (EDIT: Meaning to neutralize or stop that miasma/gas/dust?)

Let's face it. It doesn't matter what kind of armor your dwarves are wearing or how much of it they are wearing or even if they know how to use it. Every dwarf needs to breath.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2011, 01:05:49 am by agvkrioni »

Table Turning

• Bay Watcher
  • Turnways.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14782 on: September 01, 2011, 03:04:53 am »

How do I know if I embarked on a cold biome?  I think I might have by accident, everythings all frozen and there's a snow storm.

If I did, how do I unfreeze the water in the murky pools so I can get a farm?

EDIT: I think I embarked in a temperate biome, since all the snow just melted, snow started to form again, only to melt instantly.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2011, 03:21:55 am by Table Turning »
Thats another use for useless immigrants.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #14783 on: September 01, 2011, 03:24:11 am »

Fought another Forgotten Beast. It exuded a poisonous miasma. I don't know if it paralyzed, but it got in the lungs of animals and dwarves and killed them. I lost 20 people to that beast. NONE in combat. All of them died from the dust cloud.

Was there anyway to avoid those deaths? (EDIT: Meaning to neutralize or stop that miasma/gas/dust?)

Let's face it. It doesn't matter what kind of armor your dwarves are wearing or how much of it they are wearing or even if they know how to use it. Every dwarf needs to breath.

Shoot it with crossbows/ranged soldiers after walling up your fort  :)

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14784 on: September 01, 2011, 10:34:01 am »

I plan on making an Armageddon defense system; flood the world with magma, but I'm wondering, walls DON'T  get destroyed by magma, do they? Or should I make a curtain of Orthoclase/Gabbro walls around my fortress?
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14785 on: September 01, 2011, 10:59:55 am »

Constructions (walls, floors, ramps, stairs) are indestructible to anything but cave-ins.  You can hold back a magma flood with a wall made from wood if you like.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Xen0n

• Bay Watcher
  • Took joy in ‼SCIENCE‼ lately.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14786 on: September 01, 2011, 11:08:10 am »

How do dwarves build attributes like disease resistance, recuperation, and mental attributes?

If by mental attributes, you mean Soul Attributes (Memory, Focus etc.), it is believed that performing tasks from skills which relate to that attribute will increase it.  E.G. the Appraiser skill is linked to Memory, so performing trades with that dwarf will raise the Appraiser skill and the Memory Attribute.  The wiki lists which skills relate to what attributes: http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/DF2010:Attribute#Skills_By_Soul_Attribute[/url]

As far as I know there is no way to raise disease resistance or recuperation.

I have a question I've been unable to get answered elsewhere: how can I increase the tile size of my game so I can read it? 

I typically play on a 1280x720 monitor, and with ASCII I can zoom enough to read things clearly.  However, with any graphics set, of any tile size (even modified tile sizes of 45x45 or larger, some of which I enlarged myself with graphics editing programs), everything is too small and I need to squint and can't read well.  I've tried editing the init file for the resolution / grid size, black space Yes/No, changing the Print Mode, Windowed/fullscreen, even raising/lowering the resolution of my monitor.  In the end, the physical size of the tiles, when measured by a wooden ruler against the screen, is always the same, and tiny.

(Changing to a large, 45x45 tileset for example, will make the initial window have large tiles, but the window spills off the screen and as soon as I touch it or resize or go to fullscreen it reverts to the same tiny tiles.  Especially strange is that changing my monitor resolution down to 800x600 still keeps tiny tiles.)

Kento

• Bay Watcher
  • Magma and magma accessories.
    • View Profile
    • Uglorable
« Reply #14787 on: September 01, 2011, 11:19:20 am »

Can I use the dump designation to move resources to lower levels without destroying them, or hurting any dwarf who happens to be at the bottom? I have been kicking a fortress design in my head, where dwarves tied to distinct industries live in separate distant cubes connected by narrow corridors, and it would allow me to get wood charcoal to the magma furnace cube without going far.

(The basic idea is they would seldom have to search outside of their cube, and when they do, theres only one path out, and they would search the other cubes before searching caverns. All without having to use burrows!)

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14788 on: September 01, 2011, 11:29:18 am »

Objects are not damaged by being dropped any distance, and falling objects (as opposed to cave-ins or collapsing constructions or buildings) do not injure creatures they fall on.  So yes, you can use the dump command to drop materials from one cube to another.  Just remember to un-forbid them after they've been dropped, since dumped objects are automatically forbidden.

Sinlessraptor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14789 on: September 01, 2011, 11:50:48 am »

How useful would an Electrum Warhammer be?

I've just had a dwarf make one through a strange mood.

Even if it's not that good, I'm glad because I now have a legendary weaponsmith.
Pages: 1 ... 984 985 [986] 987 988 ... 1178