Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 980 981 [982] 983 984 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1126552 times)

Dave1004

• Bay Watcher
  • This is getting personal.
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #14715 on: August 28, 2011, 10:33:16 pm »

Like? When I want 'em to go somewhere IMMEDIATELY, I kinda need 'em too. Set them all to make stone bins? x.x

Thanks for the help, btw.

Hardcap of 200 MB/24 hours.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #14716 on: August 28, 2011, 10:36:59 pm »

Gaaaah. I need some help. How do I get my dwarves to go into burrows?

I expected them to run immediately to the burrows, but they literally take forever. I assigned 45 dwarves to the burrow, and only two went. The other 34 just stopped all tasks, and were slaughtered. I now have a carpenter and a woodcutter alive, and 43 dead dwarves upstairs.

Why didn't they go? It wasn't blocked, because the two intelligent ones were able to get it through their booze-sodden brains to go "Hey! Goblins! Let's RUN AWAY!"...

urgh.

Regular burrow usage only restricts the jobs available to dwarves. They won't go to the burrow unless there is a job waiting for them there- this system is most useful for making your skilled dwarves only use the valuable materials in their crafts, or for making your Chief Medical Dwarf only take jobs in the Hospital.

It sounds like you were trying to use burrows to evade Goblins, which is very doable. To do that, set up your emergency burrow, then go to the 'm'ilitary screen. From there, go to 'a'lerts. On the left, you'll see Inactive and Active- notice that the Inactive alert has [CIV] next to it. That is the civilian alert level, and can be used to restrict where civilian dwarves go- since there are no burrows associated with the Inactive alert, your dwarves can go wherever. Now, go down one so that Active is highlighted, then press the right arrow key until your cursor is under the Burrows Tab. Press enter on the burrow you want associated with this alert- when you see the green 'A' to the right, you know the burrow is Active. Press the left arrow until you are back under the Alerts heading, with the Active alert highlighted, and press enter. This should set the Civilian alert to Active (the [CIV] will move there,) and this will force all civilians to drop what they are doing and report to their assigned burrow(s).

Give it a go with your survivors- once you get the hang of it, you can make a bunch of different alerts corresponding to different threat levels, or keep them out of some constantly dangerous map areas altogether. The alert system is also very useful for setting up routine military activities- check out the wiki article when you feel up to it.

Dave1004

• Bay Watcher
  • This is getting personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14717 on: August 28, 2011, 10:52:52 pm »

That sounds like it'll work! Hot damn, thank you. I'll try it when I make a new fort, since this one is kinda dead...

Seriously, thanks. You have saved many stupid dwarves lives!

Hardcap of 200 MB/24 hours.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #14718 on: August 28, 2011, 11:40:30 pm »

Hey, no problem- once you get the hang of it, the military screen stuff is pretty amazing. It just has its own unique learning cliff.

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14719 on: August 29, 2011, 01:19:59 am »

Like? When I want 'em to go somewhere IMMEDIATELY, I kinda need 'em too. Set them all to make stone bins? x.x

Thanks for the help, btw.

In my forts, creating a big stone stockpile usually does wonders for pulling in idlers.  Just have to remember to delete it afterward.

(I can't use civilian alerts because I generally run close to 100% military.  Never seemed to work on unit members, even if inactive.  Maybe I never gave it enough of a chance.)
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...<P>It should be pretty fun though.

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14720 on: August 29, 2011, 04:27:23 am »

Why does my game keep crashing? The last four crashes I had were when looking at inventories; sometimes even if there were only four mentions of blood and nothing else (ie on an animal) it crashed for no reason. :(
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

MalleusManus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14721 on: August 29, 2011, 05:25:31 am »

Every time I have a jailed dwarf he dies of starvation or thirst. How do I get my dwarves to care for the prisoner? I moved the jail cage to the dining room in hopes someone would throw him some scraps but to no avail!

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14722 on: August 29, 2011, 05:35:54 am »

Every time I have a jailed dwarf he dies of starvation or thirst. How do I get my dwarves to care for the prisoner? I moved the jail cage to the dining room in hopes someone would throw him some scraps but to no avail!
You can make one or several of the following to make jail time safer:
1. Don't use cages, use chains. Chained dwarves can walk 1 tile away.
2. Place a food & booze stockpile right in the jail so that prisoners could provide for themselves.
3. Have several dwarves restricted by means of burrows to only take jobs in the jail. Make sure they have "Feed prisoners" on.

MalleusManus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14723 on: August 29, 2011, 05:44:25 am »

I will try that in the future!

Now the guy is sitting in jail, his sentence finished, and every time the jailer walks up I get:
<name> cancels Release Large Creature: Wrong Justice state

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #14724 on: August 29, 2011, 07:43:40 am »

Why does my game keep crashing? The last four crashes I had were when looking at inventories; sometimes even if there were only four mentions of blood and nothing else (ie on an animal) it crashed for no reason. :(

This should be fixed in the next version.

http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=3762
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

pushingdwarves

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #14725 on: August 29, 2011, 08:09:26 am »

Do gorillas and jaguars breed? I've had male/female pairs for quite a while now, and I have put them on a pasture, so they don't get killed in a fight, but they haven't produced any offspring yet. :(

Also, what framerate is normal in the later game? I have a 3x3 embark with no river and about 200 dwarves and I'm getting 50-60 fps on a core i7-860. Seems kinda low... or is that what you'd expect?

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14726 on: August 29, 2011, 08:49:24 am »

Gorillas and jaguars both have [PET_EXOTIC] rather than [PET], and at the moment [PET_EXOTIC] animals don't breed.  They're supposed to breed if you have the Dungeon Master, but the Dungeon Master doesn't show up at all, and even if you mod him in he doesn't enable breeding of exotic animals.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

UristMcDonald

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14727 on: August 29, 2011, 12:30:50 pm »

I changed Badgers to [PET] so I could breed them, but still kept them in cages since I never tamed them. I had about 8 badgers, four of each gender, waiting in cages to be dropped into a breeding pit. Well, one of the females gave birth to a cub, who spawned inside her cage. I thought caged animals can't breed? According to the Wiki, caged animals can't breed, but can give birth. However, the badgers could not have gotten pregnant before they were caged, since I made them [PET] rather than [PET_EXOTIC] after they were already caged. What am I missing? Can animals become retroactively pregnant? Or can PET_EXOTIC animals get pregnant, but just not give birth?

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14728 on: August 29, 2011, 12:45:57 pm »

I have heard other reports of non-tame animals apparently becoming pregnant in cages.  This requires further research.  Keep the female in her cage for another year or two and see if she gives birth again.

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14729 on: August 29, 2011, 01:11:35 pm »

This should be fixed in the next version.

http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=3762
Nice, though I was looking at inventories of Dwarfs/animals with blood covering. Once due to a sheep or a goat or something with four mentions of blood on it. And my brother used to crash if he was looking at a too blood-drenched wounded Dwarf in his hospital. I hope it's the same error. :P Rushmik did also pm me a solution, so thanks both of yous. :D
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.
Pages: 1 ... 980 981 [982] 983 984 ... 1178