Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 978 979 [980] 981 982 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1126608 times)

UristMcDonald

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #14685 on: August 27, 2011, 06:10:50 pm »

4) when the mason is about to start, temporarily use the (z)--stone menu to ban all stone except magma proof stone

agvkrioni

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14686 on: August 27, 2011, 06:28:59 pm »

Thanks greycat.  :D

Snake Oil Salesman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14687 on: August 27, 2011, 06:56:20 pm »

Alright. Another, unrelated question: It's Spring of year 2. 2 migrants showed up Summer, 2 more Autumn, 0 Winter. That means my parent civ is extinct, doesnt it?  :o
Perhaps your not trading enough.

UristMcDonald

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14688 on: August 27, 2011, 11:28:39 pm »

What in the world is wrong with my butcher's shop? I just butchered a horse skeleton. It got cluttered; I get that. So I had everything removed, but the haulers left behind one horse cartilage. The shop is cluttered to the max! WTF?!

Eктωρ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14689 on: August 27, 2011, 11:32:59 pm »

deconstruct, reconstruct.
Ektor is in a constant state of internal rage

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #14690 on: August 27, 2011, 11:47:50 pm »

What in the world is wrong with my butcher's shop? I just butchered a horse skeleton. It got cluttered; I get that. So I had everything removed, but the haulers left behind one horse cartilage. The shop is cluttered to the max! WTF?!

Known bug. For whatever reason, animal parts tend to instantly clutter workshops- you'll see similar things happen at the craftsdwarf shop when your bone carvers get to work. I try to keep butcher shops as clear as possible so butchering doesn't take forever- this normally means I need a custom refuse stockpile that only accepts nervous tissue/cartilage to snag the useless bits that don't get taken to other stockpiles.

UristMcDonald

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14691 on: August 28, 2011, 12:50:14 am »

anyone know how much space each tile is meant to represent?

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14692 on: August 28, 2011, 01:29:47 am »

anyone know how much space each tile is meant to represent?

Toady said 2mx2mx2m once, which is reasonable, except for the fact that it means that, even in adventurer mode, you're limited to a crawl-- assuming that a day lasts about the same as it does on Earth.
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...<P>It should be pretty fun though.

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Sweet top hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14693 on: August 28, 2011, 02:40:35 am »

Alright. Another, unrelated question: It's Spring of year 2. 2 migrants showed up Summer, 2 more Autumn, 0 Winter. That means my parent civ is extinct, doesnt it?  :o
Perhaps your not trading enough.

Trading has absolutely nothing to do with the two first waves, since your first trade happens in autumn and affects next year's immigration.

But it doesn't necessarily mean your parent civilisation is extinct (no migrants come the first winter), but if no caravan came in Autumn it might be. Or your fortress is simply on another continent to the home civ. You are hard-coded to receive two migrant waves unaffected by fortress wealth; these have a minimum size of two. It just means the Random Number God took exception to you for some reason and gave you only four migrants.
What's wrong with using magma? That's almost always the easiest method.
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14694 on: August 28, 2011, 05:51:35 am »

Sorry for the noob question, guys, but can you tell me how to save with DFHack enabled? Seasonal saves are all that works, when I try to save normally it disappears into the aether :o Along with several hours of work, unfortunately. The 'current' folder in saves is empty...
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #14695 on: August 28, 2011, 07:45:00 am »

"current" will always be empty. Regeular saves will be in saves\:regionname:
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14696 on: August 28, 2011, 08:21:44 am »

"current" will always be empty. Regeular saves will be in saves\:regionname:

That's the problem- it isn't there. Only the seasonal autosaves appear, the manual saves are nowhere to be found. Quite annoying when I want to save my progress &quit in late season...
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Sweet top hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14697 on: August 28, 2011, 08:34:38 am »

That's the problem- it isn't there. Only the seasonal autosaves appear, the manual saves are nowhere to be found. Quite annoying when I want to save my progress &quit in late season...

Did you load up a seasonal autosave?

Seasonal autosaves actually copy-paste your entire world into a new region that is named 'region# - Season - Year'. What's important is that this actually counts as an entirely new world that, when saved, will not save to 'region#', but to 'region# - Season - Year'.

That might be your issue; the 'main' region folder never ever gets updated... there must have been one there at some point, because you had to load up something.
What's wrong with using magma? That's almost always the easiest method.
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14698 on: August 28, 2011, 11:49:50 am »

So, is there a way to fix it so I could use the normal save again?

What buggers me is that it does apparently save somewhere, but I can't find it. Perhaps DFHack has some 'save, NOW' command?

Sidhien

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14699 on: August 28, 2011, 12:58:08 pm »

If you have [AUTOSAVE:SEASONAL] and [AUTOBACKUP:YES] set in the d_init file the game will create entirely new "autosave" folders separate from the currently loaded one labeled with the game's date. If you happen to load from one of these autosaves, when you do a manual save it will save the data into the same folder without changing the name.

Basically, aside from how they're created, there is no difference between an autosave and a manual save.

What you probably want is for the game to simply update the current save folder when it autosaves, rather than create entirely new folders and leave the current one alone until you exit. To do that, set AUTOBACKUP to NO.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2011, 01:06:06 pm by Sidhien »
Pages: 1 ... 978 979 [980] 981 982 ... 1178