Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 976 977 [978] 979 980 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1126642 times)

BoogieMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Hi
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #14655 on: August 26, 2011, 01:28:45 pm »

I went 4 years with a bunch of turkeys in a room with nest boxes. Not a single egg was laid, no box was claimed. A season after I removed the pasture zone in the room, they had claimed the nests and shortly later I had about 24 baby turkeys. I did not do with with my Crocs or my Chickens as a control, and they still aren't laying eggs.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ BoogieMan, Forumscrub cancels tantrum: Seeking Dr. Pepper

UristMcDonald

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14656 on: August 26, 2011, 01:32:10 pm »

Late Spring in my current fortress, forbidden Turkey eggs to ensure one generation of chicks. One male, six females. Turkeys are in a pasture indoors. over 70 eggs.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #14657 on: August 26, 2011, 01:32:15 pm »

And I have a room full of turkeys, peahens, and geese, with the room defined as a pasture zone, all the egg-laying birds assigned to the pasture zone, who are happily claiming nest boxes and laying eggs every year.  I also have a separate room with one female Cave Crocodile in a pasture containing a few nest boxes, and she's claiming them and laying eggs.  I don't know what's going on in your fortress, but it's not just the pasture zone that's doing it.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

UristMcDonald

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14658 on: August 26, 2011, 01:34:54 pm »

Crap. Apparently using the stock menu to forbid an item type only forbids items of that type that already exist. Only 10 eggs have not been taken by dwarves.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14659 on: August 26, 2011, 02:28:40 pm »

Crap. Apparently using the stock menu to forbid an item type only forbids items of that type that already exist. Only 10 eggs have not been taken by dwarves.

If you want to protect all future eggs, there are two steps: first, disallow eggs in your food stockpiles.  Second, disallow cooking of eggs in the (z) (Kitchen) menu.  You have to select each type of egg from this menu, and they don't appear on the menu until at least one egg of that type exists.

Or a quicker way is to lock the hens into a room with a nest box, and simply don't let any dwarves in.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Mister Always

• Bay Watcher
  • SQUARE-GO LIKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #14660 on: August 26, 2011, 02:29:57 pm »

If I want to strip prisoners using the dumping-all-their-crap method, do I have to construct their cages before d-c-ding over them?
"""The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit." - W. Somerset Maugham" -Forumite" -Mister Always

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14661 on: August 26, 2011, 02:33:49 pm »

If I want to strip prisoners using the dumping-all-their-crap method, do I have to construct their cages before d-c-ding over them?

No, but if the cage is loose in a stockpile, you do have to go and cancel the dump order on just the cage after d-c-d selecting the area.  Otherwise they'll just dump the cage, rather than stripping out and dumping the prisoner's inventory.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

agvkrioni

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14662 on: August 26, 2011, 03:11:06 pm »

If the guards of a dwarven trader die in a goblin raid which you are successful in repelling, do you have to bury them in tombs/coffins like your own dwarves when they die, do the traders take care of it, or are those dwarves counted as normal refuse??

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14663 on: August 26, 2011, 03:15:54 pm »

All dwarves need to be buried.  Even caravan guards.

UristMcDonald

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14664 on: August 26, 2011, 03:31:13 pm »

I embarked on a river source, meaning I have a bunch of river source tiles in the middle of the map. Anything particularly cool or FUN that I can do with them?

Valdrax

• Bay Watcher
  • HUGE ELF (bluh bluh)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14665 on: August 26, 2011, 04:20:45 pm »

I embarked on a river source, meaning I have a bunch of river source tiles in the middle of the map. Anything particularly cool or FUN that I can do with them?

No more so than any other river tile.  They are an endless source of flowing water, and that's always potential for fun if dwarvenly managed.
The history of a good fortress is not written in blood, it's painted on the walls by the hand of a melancholy orphan.

Valdrax

• Bay Watcher
  • HUGE ELF (bluh bluh)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14666 on: August 26, 2011, 04:22:58 pm »

I just discovered the king of my dwarven civilization is a Goblin Drunk.

1)  How did that happen?
2)  And more importantly, if I bring in the monarch, will he have any preferences to make demands from?  Will I be able to see them?
The history of a good fortress is not written in blood, it's painted on the walls by the hand of a melancholy orphan.

UristMcDonald

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14667 on: August 26, 2011, 04:26:19 pm »

Look up the Elven King of Dwarves--an EPIC tale if there ever was one.

As for how it happened, odds are his village was conquered by Dwarves, making him a Dwarven citizen. Then, enough adult Dwarves died in wars to make him the top contender for King.

UltraValican

• Bay Watcher
  • The Man aiming to be a Man!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14668 on: August 26, 2011, 04:26:50 pm »

1)  How did that happen?
2)  And more importantly, if I bring in the monarch, will he have any preferences to make demands from?  Will I be able to see them?

This could very well be the next Cacame..........
Would you rather be an Ant in Heaven or a Man in Hell?

UristMcDonald

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14669 on: August 26, 2011, 04:36:42 pm »

1)  How did that happen?

This could very well be the next Cacame..........

Cacame was badass because most Elves are lame. Goblins aren't lame, they're just Evil. A not-Evil Goblin isn't as awesome as a Badass Elf.

Then again, I may be proven wrong. I certainly hope so...
Pages: 1 ... 976 977 [978] 979 980 ... 1178