Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 975 976 [977] 978 979 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1126704 times)

gahyoujerk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #14640 on: August 26, 2011, 01:08:02 am »

I can't seem to get a dwarven atom smasher to work.  I made a 1x3 bridge against a wall.  placed a dump on it, dumped some things, then hit my lever, but when the bridge came up, all my stuff went flying and it didn't disappear.  I also tried it by smashing things on the ground with the bridge, but the same thing happened. 

Does the atom smasher need to be inside? cause mine is outside, against an outside constructed wall.

can an atom smasher smash bones and goblin corpses?

Yeah I tried this also, I mean both ways, but it just send the items flying everywhere

I think you need to raise the bridge, dump stuff, then drop the bridge on it.

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14641 on: August 26, 2011, 02:41:25 am »

I can't seem to get a dwarven atom smasher to work.  I made a 1x3 bridge against a wall.  placed a dump on it, dumped some things, then hit my lever, but when the bridge came up, all my stuff went flying and it didn't disappear.  I also tried it by smashing things on the ground with the bridge, but the same thing happened. 

Does the atom smasher need to be inside? cause mine is outside, against an outside constructed wall.

Yeah I tried this also, I mean both ways, but it just send the items flying everywhere

Are you sure you're using a raising bridge, and not a retracting bridge?
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...<P>It should be pretty fun though.

dr_random

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14642 on: August 26, 2011, 02:55:15 am »

Embark:
Volcanoes usually give me a crappy embark, so I tried to embark next to them in hope a magma pipe would show near the surface. I was successful a couple of times but often the magma shaft would be way down.
Does a volcanoe on the map usually indicate an overall higher volcanism in the area?

If you use advanced worldgen massively upping the volcanism X and Y variance can help you get more varied volcano embarks, I have a 4x4 with bituminous coal, iron, gold, flux, a river and loads of other random stuff.
Variance, then? I went for upping minnimal volcanism level to just below 50. That gave an increase in volcanism but I still find myself looking hours for a decent embark site. I'll check that out after my "bridge over volcany bay" fort now.

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Sweet top hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14643 on: August 26, 2011, 03:31:48 am »

Are you sure you're using a raising bridge, and not a retracting bridge?

As long as you were using a raising bridge: Yes, you need to make the dump spot, dump stuff, then drop the bridge on them.

A raising bridge functions like a catapult, a dropping bridge like a hammer.
What's wrong with using magma? That's almost always the easiest method.
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!

BoogieMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #14644 on: August 26, 2011, 10:08:00 am »

Animals will not claim a nesting box when assigned to a pen/pasture even if the box is within their pen area.

Any tips on a good way to keep them restricted to an area with a nesting box? A pet impassible door is nearly useless since they continuously slip through when workers come through to grab the eggs.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ BoogieMan, Forumscrub cancels tantrum: Seeking Dr. Pepper

UristMcDonald

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14645 on: August 26, 2011, 10:12:36 am »

Chains? Or lock the door so that they neither pets nor dwarves can enter.

BoogieMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #14646 on: August 26, 2011, 10:13:55 am »

But then you get tons of offspring and they start fighting, I'm wanting to harvest the eggs for food.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ BoogieMan, Forumscrub cancels tantrum: Seeking Dr. Pepper

Stormfeather

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14647 on: August 26, 2011, 10:39:13 am »

Just do the pasture with the Nest Boxes like you've been doing. They only claim the boxes while they're actively sitting on the nests trying to hatch the eggs. So just because the boxes are usually unclaimed when you check them doesn't mean they're not occasionally using them.

(And remember that only the females lay eggs, so that could be a factor I guess as well.)

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #14648 on: August 26, 2011, 10:43:03 am »

Animals will not claim a nesting box when assigned to a pen/pasture even if the box is within their pen area.

Yes, they will.  I have been running a egg production farm in my current fortress for decades using assorted birds assigned to a pasture with nest boxes built in it.  They claim boxes, then dwarves come and remove the eggs.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

ferris

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #14649 on: August 26, 2011, 10:46:14 am »

Started a new fortress and I went with the Miner's Guild setup. I made 7 bed and ended up making a few nest boxes to get some eggs from my chickens that I brought. But, dur hur, didn't make a training axe and I didn't bring any with me.

Am I stuck until I get a caravan? I was trying to deconstruct a bed, but I dont think I can do that.

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Sweet top hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14650 on: August 26, 2011, 11:01:46 am »

But then you get tons of offspring and they start fighting, I'm wanting to harvest the eggs for food.

That's kinda curious... I pastured all of my turkeys one day with five nest boxes and after coming back from mining out bedrooms there were goddamn poults everywhere. I don't know why the Pasture settings aren't working for you.
What's wrong with using magma? That's almost always the easiest method.
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!

UristMcDonald

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14651 on: August 26, 2011, 11:14:52 am »

Come to think of it, my Hall of Doom (weapon-trapped path over a chasm, filled with vultures and buzzards for extra Dodging fun) has a pasture and a nest box, and I'm getting eggs there too.

Eктωρ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14652 on: August 26, 2011, 11:27:07 am »

I figured out why my games had the adventure mode removed, it's because I deleted [indiv_controlable] tag.
Ektor is in a constant state of internal rage

Mister Always

• Bay Watcher
  • SQUARE-GO LIKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #14653 on: August 26, 2011, 11:35:58 am »

Started a new fortress and I went with the Miner's Guild setup. I made 7 bed and ended up making a few nest boxes to get some eggs from my chickens that I brought. But, dur hur, didn't make a training axe and I didn't bring any with me.

Am I stuck until I get a caravan? I was trying to deconstruct a bed, but I dont think I can do that.

I'm not too familiar with the Miner's Guild setup, but did you have to use the wagon wood to make those beds?

If not, you can deconstruct it (provided you have a carpenter) and use the logs from the wagon to make a carpenter's workshop and a training axe.

----

As for my question - will rain fall through grates?
"""The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit." - W. Somerset Maugham" -Forumite" -Mister Always

eastc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14654 on: August 26, 2011, 11:58:17 am »

On the Civs listed in the embark screen...

Why do only goblins have the "-----" line?
Does order imply proximity? Does it matter?
Pages: 1 ... 975 976 [977] 978 979 ... 1178