Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 973 974 [975] 976 977 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1126710 times)

Sidhien

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #14610 on: August 25, 2011, 12:13:00 am »

I don't think so... if her foot is gone, she'll always need a crutch. Might want to give her a crossbow instead.

UristMcDonald

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14611 on: August 25, 2011, 12:18:02 am »

But can't she fight while using a crutch?

She's just so good at hammering that I don't want to make her learn crossbowing too

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14612 on: August 25, 2011, 01:02:27 am »

But can't she fight while using a crutch?

She's just so good at hammering that I don't want to make her learn crossbowing too

She can fight while using a crutch.  She can even use a shield and a weapon and a crutch, all at the same time, although I doubt this is intended behavior.
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...<P>It should be pretty fun though.

Sidhien

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14613 on: August 25, 2011, 01:29:28 am »

At the same time?  :o

Edit:
« Last Edit: August 25, 2011, 01:41:25 am by Sidhien »

UristMcDonald

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14614 on: August 25, 2011, 02:24:16 am »

Niiiiiiiiiice!

New question: My current water trap works well, but about half of my goblinite goes through the hatch at the end and disappears. How do I remedy this?

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14615 on: August 25, 2011, 03:07:16 am »

Niiiiiiiiiice!

New question: My current water trap works well, but about half of my goblinite goes through the hatch at the end and disappears. How do I remedy this?

No doubt there are engineering possibilities.  Using vertical or horizontal bars to block off the grate is probably a good idea, but I don't think it'd work; flow pushes objects through those kind of things currently, which is, again, probably not intended.

However, I bet your problem goes deeper than that.  There's currently a bug that does some weird hiding thing (sometimes?) to objects that are pushed by flow.  They're still visible in the stocks screen, and they can be zoomed to, but you can't see them when looking at the ground-- you'll zoom to what looks like an empty square.  Not sure if they can be dumped via stocks or not though-- if so, that'd be a decent workaround.

Otherwise, to do what you want, you're going to have to revise your drowning trap so there's no flow.  That, obviously, won't work.

But fluids don't flow at 1/7.  "But nobody ever drowns in 1/7!"  No, but they still burn in 1/7 magma.

So as a far-fetched workaround to existing bugs, you might consider a way to evenly distribute 1/7 magma on top of a bridge and then dump it on goblins.  You might have to dump it more than once.
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...<P>It should be pretty fun though.

dr_random

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14616 on: August 25, 2011, 07:38:36 am »

Embark:
Volcanoes usually give me a crappy embark, so I tried to embark next to them in hope a magma pipe would show near the surface. I was successful a couple of times but often the magma shaft would be way down.
Does a volcanoe on the map usually indicate an overall higher volcanism in the area?

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14617 on: August 25, 2011, 07:55:27 am »

Also - the wiki is not being helpful about the difference between a blacksmith and a metalsmith. I have have one of both, but it's not clear to me which I should have work on what type of item. Thanks!

"Blacksmith" is the profession name for a dwarf whose highest skill is "Blacksmithing".  The "Blacksmithing" skill determines the dwarf's success when performing the "Metalsmithing" labor.  The "Metalsmithing" labor is used when making most of the "furniture" items in a forge.  This is different from "Metalcrafting" which is used when making "everything that isn't a weapon, armor, or furniture" out of metal.  Mostly trade goods.

Or in other words, "Blacksmith" and "Metalsmith" are the same thing, but "Metalcrafter" is different.

See http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Metalsmith
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Sidhien

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14618 on: August 25, 2011, 08:58:32 am »

Embark:
Volcanoes usually give me a crappy embark, so I tried to embark next to them in hope a magma pipe would show near the surface. I was successful a couple of times but often the magma shaft would be way down.
Does a volcanoe on the map usually indicate an overall higher volcanism in the area?
It does, at least for the region tiles immediately surrounding the volcano tile. Only the volcano tile will actually have a magma pipe to the surface, however, unlike 40d.

I think "Metalsmith" is the title that gets applied to dwarves with more than one metalsmithing skill at about the same level. So like a novice weaponsmith who's also a novice furnace operator.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2011, 09:05:34 am by Sidhien »

Excedion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14619 on: August 25, 2011, 11:58:54 am »

Are candy caps broken? They require candy thread instead of bars and my dwarves refuse to wear them
If adamantine is perfectly rigid, as shown by having 0 strain at fracture in the raw files, then the speed of sound in the metal approaches the speed of light. Adamantine musical instruments would produce ultrasonic vibrations, and cut off the fingers of the musician.

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile
« Reply #14620 on: August 25, 2011, 02:51:48 pm »

Are candy caps broken? They require candy thread instead of bars and my dwarves refuse to wear them

Yeah I've never bothered making them myself, but I think that adamantine caps are treated as an item of clothing, and so have to be sewn from adamantine cloth. I've never tried making it, but I think that adamant cloth would have to be made in a loom, and then (oddly) turned into clothes in a forge.
But .... It's so small!
It's not the size of the pick that counts... it's the size of the man with the pick.
Quote from: Toady One
Naturally, we'd like to make life miserable for everybody, randomly, but that'll take some doing.

Eктωρ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14621 on: August 25, 2011, 03:53:38 pm »

The worlds I gen can no longer be used in Adventure Mode, I remember to have modified the human raws and that's it, what have I done?
Ektor is in a constant state of internal rage

Darkweave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14622 on: August 25, 2011, 05:10:12 pm »

Embark:

If you use advanced worldgen massively upping the volcanism X and Y variance can help you get more varied volcano embarks, I have a 4x4 with bituminous coal, iron, gold, flux, a river and loads of other random stuff.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14623 on: August 25, 2011, 05:11:07 pm »

The worlds I gen can no longer be used in Adventure Mode, I remember to have modified the human raws and that's it, what have I done?
No idea. Do you remember what you modded?

Lord Allagon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14624 on: August 25, 2011, 05:12:55 pm »

Can humans survive merely on booze?
I modded the game so I can play them, but my embark's only got saltwater. So I'd like to know if it's okay to settle there and make booze or go somewhere else.
EDIT: Merely on booze does not mean that they won't eat food.
Quote from: narhiril
Quote from: Putnam
Yes, they do not need booze, they can work entirely off of water.
Freaks.
Quote from: Kaplahworm
Quote from: Garath
I'm pretty sure he'd move diagonally if he could.
You would think that, but the guy thought encasing himself in fire was a good idea.
Quote from: Jake
I therefore wish rectal cancer on your senior management.
Pages: 1 ... 973 974 [975] 976 977 ... 1178