Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 972 973 [974] 975 976 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1126754 times)

dr_random

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #14595 on: August 24, 2011, 09:16:13 am »

Yep, if you have temperature turned off, you won't get incineration, just drowning.

There are a lot of suggestions for improving FPS in various threads here, but I usually just tend to go with a smaller size (3x3 or even 2x2), turn on weather and temperature, and I'm generally happy with the FPS I get.  I have an older computer, as well.  I couldn't tell you what the number is, though, because I turn the display off.  Maybe what's okay to me would be torture for you.   :D
Mhm, and I was like: "Whats all the rage with magma?" My machine should be quite decent, but the river and magma seem to kill my fps. Maybe I should try and turn off the inflow for the forges, they are operational and don't need that intake. I just might have blown the design, I fear. Thanks, I'll consider river-less and smaller embarks.

pushingdwarves

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #14596 on: August 24, 2011, 12:57:02 pm »

Ok, I thought I'd figured out how to store my ballista ammo next to my ballistas, but apparently not. On the stock screen in the Furniture/Siege Ammo section I enabled Type|siege ammo. But all my siege ammo is... stored in my siege workshop it seems or at least that's what it will zoom to when I select them in the stocks screen.

Also, is there any way to get my siege operators to operate my siege equipment while all other civilians head to my safe burrows (via Military -> alarms)? I tried turning them into a military squad and setting them to inactive... but that didn't stop them from heading to the safe burrows. :(

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile
« Reply #14597 on: August 24, 2011, 12:59:14 pm »

Hey, so I'm trying to get stonesense to work, but have never gotten any of the visualisers to work before. I've downloaded the latest DFHack files and the latest release of stonesense, but it doesn't seem to want to work in .25. Having never seen a visualiser run, I can't imagine what I might be doing wrong. Running under Windows 7. I can't find reference to anyone else being able to run it, but the program getting stuck on the Connecting to DF screen, I hate asking for help but I'm not sure what else to do. Also don't want to start a new thread or bump and old one, hence, here.
But .... It's so small!
It's not the size of the pick that counts... it's the size of the man with the pick.
Quote from: Toady One
Naturally, we'd like to make life miserable for everybody, randomly, but that'll take some doing.

Sscral

• Bay Watcher
  • привет
    • View Profile
« Reply #14598 on: August 24, 2011, 01:17:57 pm »

Run dfhack at least once on dwarf fortress, then go to the dfhack folder and copy the memory.xml file* and paste it in the stonesense folder, then run stonesense.

*(I think it's memory.xml, it might be something different but it's close to that)

While this might not be your problem I know that it definitely won't work on .25 if you don't do this.
A three year old just made an artifact doll from the skull of his dead kitten. I can only assume the mind control lasted past death.
"Look, mommy!  Now I can play with Mister Fluffles forever!"

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile
« Reply #14599 on: August 24, 2011, 05:43:28 pm »

Oooh

I didn't realise that. Thanks Sscral.
But .... It's so small!
It's not the size of the pick that counts... it's the size of the man with the pick.
Quote from: Toady One
Naturally, we'd like to make life miserable for everybody, randomly, but that'll take some doing.

nightwhips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14600 on: August 24, 2011, 06:58:23 pm »

How do I make sure I don't assign the same piece of armor or weapon to the same dwarf in the military screen? I don't want them thinking they are sharing and running around without armor...

Also - the wiki is not being helpful about the difference between a blacksmith and a metalsmith. I have have one of both, but it's not clear to me which I should have work on what type of item. Thanks!
« Last Edit: August 24, 2011, 07:15:36 pm by nightwhips »
: Miner dwarves? In my volcano?

:I put childs into danger room...
They die, and their parents care nothing because legendary dining room.

onarum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14601 on: August 24, 2011, 07:44:12 pm »

How do I make sure I don't assign the same piece of armor or weapon to the same dwarf in the military screen? I don't want them thinking they are sharing and running around without armor...

Also - the wiki is not being helpful about the difference between a blacksmith and a metalsmith. I have have one of both, but it's not clear to me which I should have work on what type of item. Thanks!

I'm not sure about the specific item assignment, unfortunately it seems that even after you assigned a item to a dwarf the same item is still available if you want to assign it to someone else, the best thing to do is generic assignments, like if you want a dude to use a steel mace just set a mace as weapon for him then set the material to steel.

And I'm pretty sure metalsmith and blacksmith is the same thing, it's for making basically anything other than weapons or armor out of metal.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14602 on: August 24, 2011, 07:44:39 pm »

Don't assign individual pieces of equipment if you don't want to bother keeping track of them. Just assign a general piece of equipment and they'll grab one.

I'm pretty sure one does furnature ond one does non-furnature/weapon/armor items like coins. I don't know which is which.

UristMcDonald

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14603 on: August 24, 2011, 08:04:29 pm »

A Towering Blob composed of Flame has arrived! Marksdwarves should dispatch it before it burns them right?

UristMcDonald

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14604 on: August 24, 2011, 08:15:16 pm »

Apparently they'll just charge in and beat it to death...

One marksman/broker died of burns, one marksman burned his upper right tooth. Oh well.

Valdrax

• Bay Watcher
  • HUGE ELF (bluh bluh)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14605 on: August 24, 2011, 08:29:04 pm »

Ok, I thought I'd figured out how to store my ballista ammo next to my ballistas, but apparently not. On the stock screen in the Furniture/Siege Ammo section I enabled Type|siege ammo. But all my siege ammo is... stored in my siege workshop it seems or at least that's what it will zoom to when I select them in the stocks screen.

Did you accidentally block all quality and/or materials too? 

I'm not sure, but ballista bolts may also take up more than a single tile.  I've only ever built a single ballista bolt, and it took my full 1x3 (===) stockpile.  I don't know if this is just a cool visual effect or an actual space limitation.  Test it with some larger stockpiles (cleared of interfering stone) and see if that works.

Also, is there any way to get my siege operators to operate my siege equipment while all other civilians head to my safe burrows (via Military -> alarms)? I tried turning them into a military squad and setting them to inactive... but that didn't stop them from heading to the safe burrows. :(

Siege operators are civilians, and even off-duty soldiers act as civilians.  Just include the siege engines in the safe burrow, make another burrow on top of that for the engine and ammo, and restrict your operators to that.  That seems to work for my catapults.
The history of a good fortress is not written in blood, it's painted on the walls by the hand of a melancholy orphan.

Tipsy

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #14606 on: August 24, 2011, 08:55:38 pm »

Is there any way to clear a region map of previous embarks? 

Also.

Only been playing a week and what a learning curve..  So far i've been able to get a pretty decent fort going but my failure is always death from infection by soap.  I purify my wells by building a pump system from a stream but making soap is a pain in the ass.   Any suggestions?  is rock nuts the easiest way to do it?
« Last Edit: August 24, 2011, 10:04:42 pm by Tipsy »

Sidhien

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14607 on: August 24, 2011, 11:42:40 pm »

Don't think so.

is rock nuts the easiest way to do it?
I mostly go with tallow, since butchering something and rendering the fat is usually faster. Particularly if quarry bushes aren't in season. Then again, maybe I shouldn't be giving advice on this... the infection rates in my forts are pretty horrific.  ::)

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14608 on: August 24, 2011, 11:55:28 pm »

Only method I know is regenerating the world.  You can do this by loading up legends mode and exporting world generation data.

Only been playing a week and what a learning curve..  So far i've been able to get a pretty decent fort going but my failure is always death from infection by soap.  I purify my wells by building a pump system from a stream but making soap is a pain in the ass.   Any suggestions?  is rock nuts the easiest way to do it?

Infections are just dangerous, and they strike soap or no, although soap does help.  I use tallow, because by the time I need soap, I've always butchered some creature with a LOT of fat.  (The problem for me is always lye, not tallow or oil.)

But if you're getting a lot of death by infection, you might wonder why your dwarves are getting injured so frequently instead.  Your military could maybe be tuned up; maybe you need to make some better armor?
« Last Edit: August 25, 2011, 01:01:25 am by Nil Eyeglazed »
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...<P>It should be pretty fun though.

UristMcDonald

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14609 on: August 25, 2011, 12:02:14 am »

One of my better hammerdwarves lost her right foot in a fight. She can walk again with crutches, and I suppose once her skill gets high enough, she'll barely be slowed down; but can she still fight with a hammer and shield?
Pages: 1 ... 972 973 [974] 975 976 ... 1178