Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 971 972 [973] 974 975 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1126807 times)

Valdrax

• Bay Watcher
  • HUGE ELF (bluh bluh)
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #14580 on: August 24, 2011, 02:09:23 am »

How do I clean mud off of engraved floors without destroying the engravings?
I tried building furniture over the tiles, but that did nothing.
Dwarves with the cleaning labor enabled (defaults to on, it's under Other Jobs) will clean mud (and blood and who knows what all else) when they have the free time and inclination to do so. That said, it is an extremely low priority job- I recall reading that dwarves have been observed to clean near meeting areas more frequently, and there was some limited success in using Meeting Zones to roughly direct the cleaning efforts of dwarves.
I had some Peasants that I turn off all labors but Cleaning for, and with an entire fortress covered in mud, they did absolutely nothing.  They literally had nothing else to do and stood around with "No Job."

The wiki says that dwarves won't Clean mudded tiles.  Is that true in anybody else's experience?
« Last Edit: August 24, 2011, 02:15:31 am by Valdrax »
The history of a good fortress is not written in blood, it's painted on the walls by the hand of a melancholy orphan.

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
  • Fighting for Elite Liberal values since 2009!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14581 on: August 24, 2011, 02:12:14 am »

Since mud is fairly beneficial, I don't think they should, at least automatically...
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!
LCS in SourceForge - LCS Wiki - Forum thread for 4.04

Valdrax

• Bay Watcher
  • HUGE ELF (bluh bluh)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14582 on: August 24, 2011, 02:16:12 am »

Since mud is fairly beneficial, I don't think they should, at least automatically...
Generally, yes.  But sometimes you don't want mud either for aesthetic reasons or because you don't want trees growing everywhere in your path.
The history of a good fortress is not written in blood, it's painted on the walls by the hand of a melancholy orphan.

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14583 on: August 24, 2011, 02:22:08 am »

Generally, yes.  But sometimes you don't want mud either for aesthetic reasons or because you don't want trees growing everywhere in your path.

Yep, that's why I said it shouldn't be cleaned automatically. I'd make it use designations if it was up to me - one can designate an area to be cleaned and lo! dwarves scurry to scrub it.
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!

ferris

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #14584 on: August 24, 2011, 03:06:30 am »

I have a dwarf in a fey mood. He wants "body parts" but no matter what I do I cant get my butcher/hunter to get body parts. I've also got several skeletons outside of my fortress that I could use but no luck getting them butchered.

What do I need to do?

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #14585 on: August 24, 2011, 03:08:29 am »

I have a dwarf in a fey mood. He wants "body parts" but no matter what I do I cant get my butcher/hunter to get body parts. I've also got several skeletons outside of my fortress that I could use but no luck getting them butchered.

What do I need to do?
Get bones.
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

ferris

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #14586 on: August 24, 2011, 03:18:20 am »

What do I need to do?
Get bones.

Thanks. I knew that much. I meant I have butchered animals and I get no bones. The dead bodies, or skeletons, that I could use are laying outside and the dwarves refuse to move them or even use the butcher's workshop i set up right next to them.

PainRack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14587 on: August 24, 2011, 04:03:33 am »

Sound like your orders don't allow you to claim bones from outside.

Press o to go to standing orders, ensure that g is on gather bodies and press r to go to refuse. Check o is gather refuse from outside but ignore vermin remains, ensure that save bones is on.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2011, 04:05:22 am by PainRack »

Table Turning

• Bay Watcher
  • Turnways.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14588 on: August 24, 2011, 04:24:05 am »

Alright, my fortress' first forgotten beast.  It is a humanoid made of sterling silver and it has deadly poisonous gas.  Is military engagement with it out of the question?  Should I lock down all access to the caverns and call it a day?
Thats another use for useless immigrants.

dr_random

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14589 on: August 24, 2011, 04:26:00 am »

I'm not sure I got the hang of temperature. Water works fine for me. But how about Magma? If I turn off temperature, does Magma damage creatures? Without temperature, I had the occasional miner vanish in the magma pipe, yes, but my magma entrance control flusher did nothing to hurt enemies. It just pushed them along the bridge, down the stairs, along the corridor before evaporating. I didn't mean to drown them in magma - I wanted INCINERATION. It's a temperature issue, no?

Do you have embark suggestions for temperature enabled forts? Those with magma galore and fun?
My current river map with 100-110 dorfs is running on 40-50 fps and that's sloooow. Without temperature I get a decent 80 fps.

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14590 on: August 24, 2011, 04:27:09 am »

Alright, my fortress' first forgotten beast.  It is a humanoid made of sterling silver and it has deadly poisonous gas.  Is military engagement with it out of the question?  Should I lock down all access to the caverns and call it a day?

Yep, I recommend not engaging it. Drop something on it instead, or trap it in a pit.

krhxt

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #14591 on: August 24, 2011, 05:15:06 am »

Isnt there any way to rename dwarves completely? I'd also love it if I could rename my squads, it would make it so much more personal. The names have to be saved somewhere, isnt there some way of opening that file and changing it there? Any mod that lets me change the names? Anything?

Endiqua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14592 on: August 24, 2011, 07:05:51 am »

I'm not sure I got the hang of temperature. Water works fine for me. But how about Magma? If I turn off temperature, does Magma damage creatures? Without temperature, I had the occasional miner vanish in the magma pipe, yes, but my magma entrance control flusher did nothing to hurt enemies. It just pushed them along the bridge, down the stairs, along the corridor before evaporating. I didn't mean to drown them in magma - I wanted INCINERATION. It's a temperature issue, no?

Do you have embark suggestions for temperature enabled forts? Those with magma galore and fun?
My current river map with 100-110 dorfs is running on 40-50 fps and that's sloooow. Without temperature I get a decent 80 fps.

Yep, if you have temperature turned off, you won't get incineration, just drowning.

There are a lot of suggestions for improving FPS in various threads here, but I usually just tend to go with a smaller size (3x3 or even 2x2), turn on weather and temperature, and I'm generally happy with the FPS I get.  I have an older computer, as well.  I couldn't tell you what the number is, though, because I turn the display off.  Maybe what's okay to me would be torture for you.   :D
DF sets out a challenge to us with no explanation and no assistance, and each time we fail it becomes more merciless, but we continue in the hopes that we can show it, "See?  I'm doing good, right?  I kept the little men alive!  You're proud of me, right?"

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14593 on: August 24, 2011, 07:38:03 am »

I meant I have butchered animals and I get no bones.

Small corpses may not yield any.  Try larger animals (sheep, pigs, dogs).

The dead bodies, or skeletons, that I could use are laying outside and the dwarves refuse to move them or even use the butcher's workshop i set up right next to them.

You need to be more specific.  Were these creatures tame at the time of death?  If so, you might as well atom-smash those corpses, because you'll never, ever be able to do anything else with them.

The breaking-up of an animal into parts takes two forms: butchering and slaughtering.  Butchering occurs when a dead non-tame corpse is near a butcher's shop.  The butcher will take the corpse to the shop (if it's not there already) and begin an incredibly time-intensive job ending in meat, bones, skull, etc.  Slaughtering occurs when a living, tame animal is marked as "ready for slaughter".  The butcher will lead the animal to the shop and instantaneously kill it and render it into parts.  The job takes no time whatsoever once the animal is brought to the shop.

If you've got a dead, tame animal, then it cannot be butchered (because it was tame), and it cannot be slaughtered (because it's not alive), so there's nothing you can do with it at all.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #14594 on: August 24, 2011, 07:44:38 am »

In addition, intelligent creatures (elves, goblins, humans, dwarves, etc) can't be butchered, and their skeletons can't be turned into usable bones.  So if the skeletons outside your fortress are dead invaders or traders, you can't use them.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.
Pages: 1 ... 971 972 [973] 974 975 ... 1178